Too Early: Project the Top 8 seeds | The Boneyard

Too Early: Project the Top 8 seeds

Reaction Score
Due to the tournament being in a San Antonio are bubble, I see little distinction between the Top 4 and the Top 8 for seeding purposes:

My list of possibilities include

Uconn
Big Ten Champ: (Maryland or Ohio State)
Big 12 Champ (Baylor)
SEC Champ: (SCar or A&M)
SEC #2: (SCar or A&M) possible
PAC Champ: (Stanford, UCLA or Arizona)
PAC #2 (Stanford, UCLA, or Arizona) probable
ACC Champ: (Louisville or NC State)
ACC #2 : Louisville or NC State possible

that's eleven possibilities

SO, My 8 guesses are:
UConn
Maryland
Baylor
SCar
Stanford
Arizona
Louisville
NC State

Tx A&M, Ohio State and UCLA fall to third seed unless they win their conferences.

Reaction Score
Due to the tournament being in a San Antonio are bubble, I see little distinction between the Top 4 and the Top 8 for seeding purposes:

Uconn
Big 12 Champ (Baylor)

SO, My 8 guesses are:
UConn
Maryland
Baylor
SCar
Stanford
Arizona
Louisville
NC State

Tx A&M, Ohio State and UCLA fall to third seed unless they win their conferences.
Ohio State isn’t eligible for postseason this year.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Personally, I think a lot of folks are undervaluing Texas A&M. They are 18-1 with wins over DePaul, Arkansas (twice), Kentucky, and Texas. Still have home games against Tennessee and South Carolina. I don't think they'll be worse than a #2 seed come bracket time. Their body of work is much more impressive than a lot of other teams (like Baylor and Maryland).

Reaction Score

Uconn
Big 12 Champ (Baylor)

SO, My 8 guesses are:
UConn
Maryland
Baylor
SCar
Stanford
Arizona
Louisville
NC State

Possibility if Arizona wins out Stanford may not be a top eight?

In that event Arizona would be the Pac-12 champ. With one more slip up Stanford might finish third.

UCLA might well went out. Oddly when I look at the ESPN schedule on the Stanford side it does not show the February 19th game against the Sun Devils.

@TheFarmFan might have insight into the final stretch of the Pac-12 season.

Reaction Score
It’s mind boggling that Stanford has played at least 2 more games in conference than the rest of the PAC. Stanford has also played the dangerous combo of Oregon, UCLA, Arizona, and Washington State six times compared to just four for Arizona, including twice to what we can all agree is an underwhelming Oregon squad. Definitely an imbalanced schedule for sure. Arizona also arguably has the easier schedule from here on out, but tests against Washington State and Arizona State won’t be easy combined with the Stanford game.

Reaction Score
TAMU aint gonna be worst than a 2 seed.

1 seeds.... UConn.. Little Carolina.. Stanford.. NC State
2 seeds.. TAMU, Baylor, Maryland, Louisville
I think you have the correct teams listed but not sure on the seeds. Given TAMU and SC don't play until the last regular season I'm not ready to say SC is a clear #1 seed. If they split, meaning play again in Championship game they both could end on the 1 line. Uconn is a lock at a #1 seed, because there is little reason they won't win out. Despite Stanfords losses this year, I think they are the team to beat in March. Besides their wealth of talent they are an incredible defensive team. Who ever wins the ACC will be a #1 seed. Arizona or UCLA might get a 2 seed, although I would argue it will depend more on the other teams rather their clear strength

Reaction Score
UConn SoCarolina Stanford
NC St louisville
Baylor
Ucla/Arizona

last: Ucla/Arizona, Maryland, or Texas AM

Reaction Score
Ohio State isn’t eligible for postseason this year.
Well, that reduces my possibilities. Thanks.
TAMU aint gonna be worst than a 2 seed.

1 seeds.... UConn.. Little Carolina.. Stanford.. NC State
2 seeds.. TAMU, Baylor, Maryland, Louisville

Not sure TxA&M wont be a 1 seed. Just gotta beat SCar. Probably two chances.

You think the ACC &SEC will get two and the PAC only one? Remember, the selection committe is supposed to be guided by the NET rankings - which LOVES the PAC,

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

Uconn
Big 12 Champ (Baylor)

SO, My 8 guesses are:
UConn
Maryland
Baylor
SCar
Stanford
Arizona
Louisville
NC State

UCLA is better than Baylor

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Maybe so, but Baylor as Big 12 champ will get a bid before a PAC 2 and definitely before a PAC 3
I wouldn't be so sure about that. If you compare their current resumes', Baylor's only Top 25 win would be against West Virginia. UCLA's wins would be against Stanford and Oregon; and, the Bruins still have a possible home game against Arizona which could be rescheduled, and a home contest against Oregon. And, Baylor's loss to Iowa State is looking worse and worse as the Cyclones are in a bit of a "twister" . . . :cool:

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Maybe so, but Baylor as Big 12 champ will get a bid before a PAC 2 and definitely before a PAC 3
The issue at hand was Top 8 ranking not a bid to the Tournament. This is a down year for Baylor (and yet we are only inferring a Top 10 team status).

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be so sure about that. If you compare their current resumes', Baylor's only Top 25 win would be against West Virginia. UCLA's wins would be against Stanford and Oregon; and, the Bruins still have a possible home game against Arizona which could be rescheduled, and a home contest against Oregon. And, Baylor's loss to Iowa State is looking worse and worse as the Cyclones are in a bit of a "twister" . . . :cool:
Oh your arguments have great merit. Two problems though. First,Look at the NCAA NET rankings that the committee is supposed to be guided by. Baylor is ranked number 4. Second, politics. The committee ain’t gonna give one conference 3 top 8 seeds / especially where nobody in the conference has played one decent team outside the conference

I do agree that Baylor has played a weak schedule.

Reaction Score
The issue at hand was Top 8 ranking not a bid to the Tournament. This is a down year for Baylor (and yet we are only inferring a Top 10 team status).
I created this thread. I suggest you re-read the first post and the title. It’s about top 8 seeds. Not top 8 rank

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
I created this thread. I suggest you re-read the first post and the title. It’s about top 8 seeds. Not top 8 rank
Top Ranked IS Top 8. I have NEVER, EVER used coaches or writers POLLS when referring to seedlings for the NCAAT. They will be using NET this year for the first time to mirror the men and we shall see if that is an improvement. Remember, don’t assume you know what someone meant as you make.... lemonade..:cool:

Reaction Score
Top Ranked IS Top 8. I have NEVER, EVER used coaches or writers POLLS when referring to seedlings for the NCAAT. They will be using NET this year for the first time to mirror the men and we shall see if that is an improvement. Remember, don’t assume you know what someone meant as you make.... lemonade..:cool:
Top ranked means:

AP ranked
coaches poll ranked
Massey ranked
NET ranked
A cumulative ranking of those
BY poll

seeding is a one time ranking that occurs at the end of the season. It is supposed to be guided by NET but many other factors may creep in including politics. That last factor is why I believe no conference will have more than two in the top eight - especially this year where there is little OOC competition.

and I think NET has some serious flaws. Look. At Oregon’s record and ranking in NET. If you have “eyeballed” them, consider that as well. (NET may be better in a normal year when the PAC is not playing in a conference bubble.)

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Agreed. Put Blair in the COY conversation.

Who do you all think is better: SC or A&M?
SC and it's not even close. Look at all the A&M games, how many close did they have against supposedly inferior teams? Their gaudy record is built upon the 70th ranked schedule. SC is 4th. They also benefit in that they only play SC once as the last game of the year. The only other tough game is Sunday against Tennessee.

In watching 5 different Aggie games this year, they do not warrant a Top 8 Seed in the Tournament even if they finish second in the SEC. UConn, SC, Stanford, Louisville, NC State, UCLA, Arizona and Maryland are all better.

Reaction Score
SC and it's not even close. Look at all the A&M games, how many close did they have against supposedly inferior teams? Their gaudy record is built upon the 70th ranked schedule. SC is 4th. They also benefit in that they only play SC once as the last game of the year. The only other tough game is Sunday against Tennessee.

In watching 5 different Aggie games this year, they do not warrant a Top 8 Seed in the Tournament even if they finish second in the SEC. UConn, SC, Stanford, Louisville, NC State, UCLA, Arizona and Maryland are all better.
Are you saying that the PAC will have three top 8 seeds or just that they will "warrant a Top 8 seed?" I might agree with the latter but disagree with the former.

In a normal year, the committee could have three conference schools in the top 8 - or even top four. Let's assume that three teams have tied records at the end of the season, with losses only to each other AND no ooc losses AGAINST A QUALITY OOC SCHEDULE. Of course, the conference tournament would/should straighten out the pecking order.

It's different this year because none of the PAC conference leaders has a played a decent team outside the conference. They have basically played in a bubble. Indeed the only decent ooc team played by any team in the PAC was Washington State's win over NET #20 Stephen F. Austin.

Here's a NET insanity: Oregon is higher ranked than UCLA and Arizona who have beaten the Ducks and have as good or better records than the Ducks while playing within the same conference bubble. The selection committee will have to play human analytics to straighten out the glitch in the algorithms that produces results like this. Good losses cannot override good wins.

But yeah, all three PAC leaders look pretty good and might be deserving during a normal year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom