OT: - Tipping | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Tipping

Reaction Score
Yes, that cashier, who is endangering their health every time they go to work so we can keep grocery stores, an essential business that stands between us and societal collapse, is still making minimum wage.
Here in NJ they’ve given them a $2/hour raise. Our minimum wage increased to $11/hour in January. So I think they’re making $13.
Maybe tip the shopping cart people?

Reaction Score
That person accepted. They're job was wiping every cart that came in from the parking lot. Hazardous duty.
That job is seriously the worst job in all of this I think. They’re touching our carts after we’ve touched everything in the store. God knows it’s impossible to keep a tiny hand sanitizer with each human in the store!
And don’t get me started on the jerks tossing their gloves in the parking lot. You might be the worst human being ever if you do this. And these poor people have to pick it up. Yeah, they deserve hazard pay and tips!

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
We've also been buying a bunch of gift cards from the local restaurants that we like. Really helps businesses out (since they're essentially free loans), and assuming the businesses make it through this, they're $ we would have spent anyway.

Reaction Score
I figured I'd get something like this, that's why I couched it by saying my spending has been way down. What have you been doing to help others lately?
I'm just lashing out because I feel morally inferior, in the case of the people tipping more frequently and generously in the first place, and fiscally inadequate, in the case of Mr. I-add-100%-and-then-round-up-to-the-next-50$.

To answer your question, I am helping people by staying at home and trying to follow CDC recommendations if I do have to go out. I have not changed my philanthropy habits during this crisis so far, though, if that's what you're asking. If and when I do, it will not involve helping out the few people who still have a job by tipping more.

All that said, I am by no means criticizing anyone choosing to tip more people and/or in higher amounts. Just because a donation could have been used to achieve a greater benefit had it been used for another cause does not mean that the person giving it did anything wrong.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I'm just lashing out because I feel morally inferior, in the case of the people tipping more frequently and generously in the first place, and fiscally inadequate, in the case of Mr. I-add-100%-and-then-round-up-to-the-next-50$.

To answer your question, I am helping people by staying at home and trying to follow CDC recommendations if I do have to go out. I have not changed my philanthropy habits during this crisis so far, though, if that's what you're asking. If and when I do, it will not involve helping out the few people who still have a job by tipping more.

All that said, I am by no means criticizing anyone choosing to tip more people and/or in higher amounts. Just because a donation could have been used to achieve a greater benefit had it been used for another cause does not mean that the person giving it did anything wrong.
Very well said. In my particular case, I live in the middle of nowhere, in a town with a population of 15,000-20,000 people, and it's 100+ miles to an interstate highway. I'm just doing what I can to support the businesses that I frequent, those where I know the owners and the hard-working employees by name. They're friends and neighbors. I'm super lucky to telecommute, and still have a job for the moment. That could change any time. Just trying to pay it forward while I can.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Just because a donation could have been used to achieve a greater benefit had it been used for another cause does not mean that the person giving it did anything wrong.
It sure sounds like it. Just for kicks, tell me what cause you consider a greater benefit? Local food banks and homeless shelters maybe? Check.

Reaction Score
It sure sounds like it. Just for kicks, tell me what cause you consider a greater benefit? Local food banks and homeless shelters maybe? Check.
I haven't looked into it since this outbreak started. I'm sure there's some good stuff out there that targets those hit hardest. But, like I said, I'm not attacking you. I was just busting the collective balls of posters describing their increased tipping habits. It sounds like you're being more financially generous than I am right now, so good on ya.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom