OT: - Tipping | The Boneyard

OT: Tipping

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm only leaving the house for quick trips to the store and besides those items I put on the card, I'm not spending any money. I have almost the same cash in my wallet as I had a month ago. So I'm basically tipping any worker I come in contact with these days. I just got back from the S&S where the cashier said she couldn't accept tips. I insisted but she said she would get in trouble. That's a rule that needs to be relaxed, imo.

Reaction Score
I don't think you need to tip the S&S cashier - he/she is making the same money they were making before.

I've been tipping for take out - no different than if I was sitting in the restaurant.

Reaction Score
Not to get off topic but it always confuse me why certain types of services get tips and why some
do not.

Reaction Score
I don't think you need to tip the S&S cashier - he/she is making the same money they were making before.

I've been tipping for take out - no different than if I was sitting in the restaurant.

Yes, that cashier, who is endangering their health every time they go to work so we can keep grocery stores, an essential business that stands between us and societal collapse, is still making minimum wage.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
What is, Not just a city in China?

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
There are a couple of brew pubs in town with good food where we're "regulars". On our first takeout order at each place after they shut down in-house dining, I left a $100 tip just to show support. They greatly appreciated it and each mentioned that they would make sure the kitchen staff was tipped as well. On subsequent orders, I've basically tipped 50% of the total bill.

I've been tipping the Instacart people 25% of the bill.

I just really appreciate that fairly low wage workers are still out there on the front lines and allowing me to sit relatively safely at home.

Reaction Score
I'm only leaving the house for quick trips to the store and besides those items I put on the card, I'm not spending any money. I have almost the same cash in my wallet as I had a month ago. So I'm basically tipping any worker I come in contact with these days. I just got back from the S&S where the cashier said she couldn't accept tips. I insisted but she said she would get in trouble. That's a rule that needs to be relaxed, imo.

I'm tipping in appreciation of the risks she is taking.
I believe S&S union employees got a 10% raise and extra bennies like more sick leave. Big Y $2/hr raise, temporary til end of month so far.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
With the local restaurants we are supporting with the takeout once or twice a week we are severely overtipping during this time.

Reaction Score
Yes, that cashier, who is endangering their health every time they go to work so we can keep grocery stores, an essential business that stands between us and societal collapse, is still making minimum wage.

I said "need" - I didn't say you shouldn't do it. Do whatever you want.

My point was - that person is still working, and will still be able to pay their rent. Unlike all of the people that got furloughed/laid-off, or were depending on tips to get by. Unemployment might reach 30 million people. Tipping one of the still employed people might make you feel good, but I'm not sure it means anything in the long run.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
I'm trying to get take out at least several times a week. Restaurants and pubs I usually go to...not fast food. Every time, I'm tipping at least 100% of the bill rounded to the next $50. I figure I'd be spending that amount there anyway. They really appreciate it and they're telling me many others - especially regulars - are doing the same. We gotta take care of each other.

Reaction Score
I went to the drive through at Dairy Queen. The total came to $6 and change. I gave the kid a $10 and told him to keep the change. He handed me the change back and told me they were not allowed to take it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'll give you a tip: Credits to the window, debits to the door.
Lol, I remember that. I still have no idea what it means, notwithstanding that I have a good understanding which accounts to credit and which to debit for most transactions in double entry accounting.

Reaction Score
I'd assume these places don't allow tipping it's because it'd create a headache to report those tips/wages.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'd assume these places don't allow tipping it's because it'd create a headache to report those tips/wages.
Not if they just put it their pocket. I think the prohibition is for customer relations but these are different times. I see all these rules being loosened in this environment to aid business. Business' should do the same for labor.

Reaction Score
We in the hospital have been loving the catering we have been getting on a near-daily basis lmao

Reaction Score
We should rename this thread "Virtue signaling and humble bragging"

Reaction Score
I'm tipping in appreciation of the risks she is taking.

That's a very nice gesture, but do the cashier a favor by sanitizing the tip.

Paper money in notoriously filthy and you could end up infecting a person you intended to bless.

Reaction Score
That's a very nice gesture, but do the cashier a favor by sanitizing the tip.

Paper money in notoriously filthy and you could end up infecting a person you intended to bless.
How do you sanitize money?

EDIT: if possible, do you actually take time out of your way to do this?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We should rename this thread "Virtue signaling and humble bragging"
I figured I'd get something like this, that's why I couched it by saying my spending has been way down. What have you been doing to help others lately?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
How do you sanitize money?

EDIT: if possible, do you actually take time out of your way to do this?
What I did a month ago was withdraw $500 out of the ATM about a month ago where it went straight into a quart size baggie without me touching it. The few times I used cash since, I separate a bill from the pile from the outside then have the clerk pull it out themselves. That's what I came up with to reduce risk.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom