Tina Charles and the Mercury agreed to go separate ways.!!!! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Tina Charles and the Mercury agreed to go separate ways.!!!!

Reaction Score
after the mercury won one of the players said a curse word Tina Charles.
The dumb thing would be to sit Ezi, if anyone goes to the bench it should be Gabby. She would be better off the bench then sitting Ezi who had a better offensive game.
They lost against Los Angeles because the scored 9 points in the 4th quarter.

Reaction Score
Tina Charles is essentially working for free in the WNBA. It appears that she gets her rent money overseas. But it appears that she hasn't played overseas for several years. Does anyone know if she has? If she hasn't been playing overseas, why not? https://www.sportspundit.com/basketball/players/30897-tina-charles

"Charles also played for overseas teams during off-seasons, such as the Turkish team Galatasaray in 2011-12, Polish team Wisła Can-Pack Kraków from 2012 to 2014, and Turkish team Fenerbahçe in 2014-15. She also played for the Chinese team Xinjiang Tianshan Deers in the 2015-16 off-season. In 2016, she joined Sichuan Whales and re-signed with them for the 2017-18 off-season."

Seems she didn't play overseas in the 18/19 season, or in the (mostly) non-Covid 19/20 season. Is that correct? Since she's donated her entire WNBA salary to charities since 2013, would seem that she needs a regular overseas gig to live on.

Reaction Score
I think Tina is an excellent player who has more than earned her right to ring chase, but I don't care for it when players are so overt about it. I feel the same way with NBA players. Tina signed with the Mercury and clearly the Griner situation has been a distraction but to me it's a matter of sticking with your team to finish out the year and then maybe move on.

Charles will help most any team she signs with but she's been in NYC, Washington, Phoenix, and now Seattle. There is something going on there. Any player who did this in the W who isn't a UConn grad would likely hear some negative feedback on this board from posters.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think Sophie speaks for her teammates and herself. Always love the UConn ladies in the W, but it seems "chasing the title" is more important than being a team player.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Interesting

Tina after her first game with the Storm

In the context of Sue and Tina being on the same page., Geno and UConn mentioned in no uncertain terms (see 4:20 minute mark)

And a nice reference to how Aisha Jones helped her as a rookie enter the league in 2010 for the Sun at the 10:00 mark

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Looks like the Storm may start 5 Huskies, if we count our honorary Husky.

Reaction Score
well if Tina went to Seattle for coaching, I have some bad news. Losing to one of the worst teams in Atlanta.

Reaction Score
well if Tina went to Seattle for coaching, I have some bad news. Losing to one of the worst teams in Atlanta.
There has to be a change in the starting lineup. Since Stewie arrived in Seattle only one year has the offense been this bad.
That was 2019 the year she didn't play.
Gabby needs to come off the bench, she brings no offense to the lineup. Your small forward has to be able to score when open.
Gabby has shown no ability to spread the offense. Ezi their center is a better shooter, then Gabby.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
There has to be a change in the starting lineup. Since Stewie arrived in Seattle only one year has the offense been this bad.
That was 2019 the year she didn't play.
Gabby needs to come off the bench, she brings no offense to the lineup. Your small forward has to be able to score when open.
Gabby has shown no ability to spread the offense. Ezi their center is a better shooter, then Gabby.

The first 2 games Tina has essentially come off the bench for Magbegor or occasionally Stewart. Charles isn't built to be a backup, but by inserting her into the starting lineup, you push your best player Stewart out of her optimal position which isn't ideal. I don't doubt Stewart can excel playing the 3, but she's best at the 4 so you sacrifice some of her ability to make room for Charles. Ultimately I think it's a gamble they need to take since they signed Tina and obviously want to utilize her as a primary option rather than as a backup. I think it could work out well or it may backfire big time.

Reaction Score
The first 2 games Tina has essentially come off the bench for Magbegor or occasionally Stewart. Charles isn't built to be a backup, but by inserting her into the starting lineup, you push your best player Stewart out of her optimal position which isn't ideal. I don't doubt Stewart can excel playing the 3, but she's best at the 4 so you sacrifice some of her ability to make room for Charles. Ultimately I think it's a gamble they need to take since they signed Tina and obviously want to utilize her as a primary option rather than as a backup. I think it could work out well or it may backfire big time.
Stewie played the 3 in Japan, and was the best player on the floor. Dawn also played Stewie 30+ minutes no one else was close.
If Dawn felt Stewie could play the 3, then that is where she should be. Seattle has been getting killed every game in rebounding.
Tina will help there, and if they double Tina can pass. It will give Jewell more open looks. Gabby can come in for any of the starting 5, and maybe be willing to shoot the ball more.

Reaction Score
this had disaster written all over it before it even started, idk if the Sun needed someone like her but at least she could have used that excuse to go back to her original team. Now probably she will join ANOTHER team next season.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
this had disaster written all over it before it even started, idk if the Sun needed someone like her but at least she could have used that excuse to go back to her original team. Now probably she will join ANOTHER team next season.
Agree that there's no chance she stays in Seattle if she doesn't get a ring this year. Seattle loses both Bird and Stewart, I don't see Tina sticking around if she's still chasing a ring.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom