Tina Charles and the Mercury agreed to go separate ways.!!!! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tina Charles and the Mercury agreed to go separate ways.!!!!

Reaction Score
It does not mean however, that the problem has to be the player’s fault. Perhaps she is simply unhappy there, maybe she doesn’t get along with the coach, a player/players, doesn’t like the atmosphere, hates the heat, has personal concerns that she feels require her attention/presence somewhere else! A bit unfair to simply assume TC has some kind of “massive problem”!

Reaction Score
Wow. Remember Russell is out with health issues so the Storm need help in the post. Also, Stewie can play the wing as she did for USA Basketball in Tokyo.
And Ezi is better suited for either of those positions, she isn'a low post player on offense.

Reaction Score
It does not mean however, that the problem has to be the player’s fault. Perhaps she is simply unhappy there, maybe she doesn’t get along with the coach, a player/players, doesn’t like the atmosphere, hates the heat, has personal concerns that she feels require her attention/presence somewhere else! A bit unfair to simply assume TC has some kind of “massive problem”!
No Griner, or Nurse who were both starters.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Seattle makes sense. Even more reasons to root for them now, and moving Gabby or Ezi to the bench makes the bench less dreadful. When is Russell coming back?

Reaction Score
Seattle makes sense. Even more reasons to root for them now, and moving Gabby or Ezi to the bench makes the bench less dreadful. When is Russell coming back?
There is no timeline as to when or if Russell makes it back this year. Actually Tina coming off the bench as she did in the Olympics is the best bet. That lets Gabby back up at 3 positions.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

I found a couple of reports saying it was a non-basketball injury that would keep her out 3-5 weeks. I also found an estimated return date of June 29.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure the Mystics chose not to re-sign Tina.
I was thinking along the same lines as you. Did a tad bit of digging and came up with this article which seemed to reason that TC wanted to take some time figuring out what her next steps were. Meanwhile, Thibault needed to decide on other personnel matters, such as Myisha Hines-Allen, and while TC was checking options, he pulled the trigger on HInes-Allen.

Reaction Score
I don't blame Tina, I live in Arizona but the Mercury have more drama than a telenovella. Brittney Griner is detained in Russia, Skylar/Diana/Diamond argue everyday and they don't have a true center who can draw in the defense and free her up. Compile all that on top off 100 plus degree weather

Tina went to Mercury because she didn't anticipate Griner's detainment. Now she's potentially headed to Seattle in the hopes of snabbing a title with Bird, Loyd and Stewie. It gives opportunistic vibes and I totally get and see that. If I'm Noelle, I start Ezi, Stewart and Charles and give my shooters some wide open looks.

Reaction Score
I don't blame Tina, I live in Arizona but the Mercury have more drama than a telenovella. Brittney Griner is detained in Russia, Skylar/Diana/Diamond argue everyday and they don't have a true center who can draw in the defense and free her up. Compile all that on top off 100 plus degree weather

Tina went to Mercury because she didn't anticipate Griner's detainment. Now she's potentially headed to Seattle in the hopes of snabbing a title with Bird, Loyd and Stewie. It gives opportunistic vibes and I totally get and see that. If I'm Noelle, I start Ezi, Stewart and Charles and give my shooters some wide open looks.
Last night was a prime example of what Tina will bring to Seattle rebounding. Ezi at 22 isn't yet a good rebounder, playing alongside Tina she will learn.
Gabby coming off the bench will help with her energy, and ability to pass and drive.

Reaction Score
Glad to see her leave Phoenix, especially if she goes to Seattle. Except for last night, the Storm have played well of late, and Tina could really be a difference maker. And all of those Huskies!! By the way, KLS and Gabby both played well in last night's game. Both are definitely finding their way in the league. Gee, get KLS back in Seattle and that could be some starting 5.

Reaction Score
Exactly, there are problems in that Phoenix locker room. That dust up between Taurasi and Skylar suggest there might be issues that will not get fixed anytime soon. Tina is not getting any younger and the ONLY thing missing from her resume is a title. That won't happen in Phoenix this year. I think Seattle makes a ton of sense. Tina has ALWAYS been regarded as one of nicest people you will ever meet so I don't think she was the problem. I can't fault a player of her stature for looking out for #1.

Reaction Score
Exactly, there are problems in that Phoenix locker room. That dust up between Taurasi and Skylar suggest there might be issues that will not get fixed anytime soon. Tina is not getting any younger and the ONLY thing missing from her resume is a title. That won't happen in Phoenix this year. I think Seattle makes a ton of sense. Tina has ALWAYS been regarded as one of nicest people you will ever meet so I don't think she was the problem. I can't fault a player of her stature for looking out for #1.
And she isn't going to have to guard the guick forwards or centers all the time. Seattle does a lot of switching, and Stewie, Ezi, and Gabby give a lot of weakside help.
Tina is a good rebounder, and Seattle outside of Stewie doesn't draw many fouls, Tina will draw fouls or get easy baskets.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

Did you just invent a new word? :D

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Seattle makes good sense for Tina, a very good franchise, especially with Russel hurt and Stewie rumored to be leaving after this season. As for the Sun, as much as I love Tina, they currently have the best front court in the WNBA with Alyssa Thomas, Briana Jones, Jonquel Jones, and Dewanna Bonner. The Sun don't need another Big, they need a 3 point shooter.

Reaction Score
was pretty obvious she was going to Seattle, idk if I would want her if I'm them tho. Isn't this her 5th team in 8 seasons?

Wait a minute! Tina Charles played four seasons with the team that drafted her out of college, the Connecticut Sun: 2010 through the 2013 seasons. She wanted to return to New York, and asked for a trade. She was traded to the New York Liberty and played there six seasons- 2014 through 2019. She was traded to Washington in 2020, but was "medically excused for the shortened 2020 season on July 17, 2020, due to her condition with extrinsic asthma, which impacts her immune system and put her at risk in the coronavirus pandemic." She was with Washington for two seasons before signing with Phoenix in 2022.

Whatever happened with Phoenix, this is not a player who can't stick with one team, or who is disloyal to her teams. She played four years with the team that drafted her, Connecticut, then six seasons with New York, the team she wanted to play for. So she spent an entire decade, the bulk of her career, with just two teams. And after two Covid seasons with Washington, and after a dozen years in the WNBA, in the twilight of her career, she opted to go to a team she believed would give her a chance to win a WNBA championship. That's not being flighty, or irresponsible, or disloyal. Indeed, I doubt that any male player in any professional sport would be criticized for doing what she did in going to Phoenix. And let's not overlook the fact that from 2013 to 2020 she has donated her entire WNBA salary to her charity, Hopey's Heart Foundation. And since 2020, she's donated her entire salary to support the Black Lives Matter movement. So when Tina Charles changed teams, it was never to chase a higher paycheck.

Tina Charles is a class act. She doesn't deserve the shade being thrown on her for changing teams.

Reaction Score
So, when I go to Mohegan Sun on 7/28 I have 3rd row seats to see Sue's last game in CT, Stewie, Tina, and Gabby. I'm sure I missed someone.

Reaction Score
Wait a minute! Tina Charles played four seasons with the team that drafted her out of college, the Connecticut Sun: 2010 through the 2013 seasons. She wanted to return to New York, and asked for a trade. She was traded to the New York Liberty and played there six seasons- 2014 through 2019. She was traded to Washington in 2020, but was "medically excused for the shortened 2020 season on July 17, 2020, due to her condition with extrinsic asthma, which impacts her immune system and put her at risk in the coronavirus pandemic." She was with Washington for two seasons before signing with Phoenix in 2022.

Whatever happened with Phoenix, this is not a player who can't stick with one team, or who is disloyal to her teams. She played four years with the team that drafted her, Connecticut, then six seasons with New York, the team she wanted to play for. So she spent an entire decade, the bulk of her career, with just two teams. And after two Covid seasons with Washington, and after a dozen years in the WNBA, in the twilight of her career, she opted to go to a team she believed would give her a chance to win a WNBA championship. That's not being flighty, or irresponsible, or disloyal. Indeed, I doubt that any male player in any professional sport would be criticized for doing what she did in going to Phoenix. And let's not overlook the fact that from 2013 to 2020 she has donated her entire WNBA salary to her charity, Hopey's Heart Foundation. And since 2020, she's donated her entire salary to support the Black Lives Matter movement. So when Tina Charles changed teams, it was never to chase a higher paycheck.

Tina Charles is a class act. She doesn't deserve the shade being thrown on her for changing teams.

after the mercury won one of the players said a curse word Tina Charles.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom