This loss is on the coach | Page 2 | The Boneyard

This loss is on the coach

Reaction Score
People criticizing Hurley is bonkers. This man has elevated the program in a few short years

Players did not execute period. end of story

You will not win a game shooting 12% on 16 threes

I think there’s fair criticism of him to be had.

But I also think it’s ridiculous to not point out there are a couple people here who are going to eternally crucify him for not being Jim Calhoun after every loss. I don’t think Nelson falls into that group but there’s certainly others that do.

Reaction Score
We didn’t lose because of Hurley. We lost because Michigan st played great defensively, and we didn’t make enough open shots. 2-16 lose. 16-25 win. Nothing to do with Hurley. More to do with tired legs THE END

We didn’t lose because of Hurley. We lost because Michigan st played great defensively, and we didn’t make enough open shots. 2-16 lose. 16-25 win. Nothing to do with Hurley. More to do with tired legs THE END
Let's have some perspective here. UConn is a talented team with a good coach. Michigan State is a talented team with a HOF coach
UConn learns from this game and makes them stronger in Big East play

Reaction Score
Nothing is more tedious than a poster's hot take being that the refs suck.
Or blaming the coach and then pointing to a guy stepping out of bounds and another guy throwing the ball to the other team. It's hardly ever just one thing that causes a loss. All the post mortem blaming is due to frustration that the desired result wasn't achieved.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Groundhog Day.
I made that comment during the two OTs on Wednesday and then realized that I was sitting one section over from the guy who is responsible for that term. Pretty cool.

Speaking of which, he is all in as a fan, and whichever son it is that is here with him even more so. Cheering with all the cheers, yelling and screaming, even trying to catch the freebies they are throwing in the stands.

Reaction Score
He needs to make sure Sanogo understands every time he touches it doesnt mean he needs to score. If he has more than 2-3 dribbles to get his shot please find an open teammate. Love the kid, but being a black hole isn’t going to be a good thing for this team. And for now Hurley is always calling his number so he knows little else.
100%! Sanogo is so talented but it’s a complete black hole when he touches the ball. We have enough good shooters that kick outs by him should lead to a lot of open looks and points. He needs to find that balance of when it’s smart to shoot and when kicking it out to a shooter or a cutter is a better decision.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Or blaming the coach and then pointing to a guy stepping out of bounds and another guy throwing the ball to the other team. It's hardly ever just one thing that causes a loss. All the post mortem blaming is due to frustration that the desired result wasn't achieved.

Or cherry picking a post to make it seem like something it isn't.

As I said before, beating teams like MSU with any level of consistency is very difficult. If UConn is happy with attaboys, the UConn should keep doing what it is doing with a very talented roster and the Huskies will win a couple of these matchups every season and everyone can think that UConn is making progress. Or Hurley can fix some obvious problems, and UConn can win 70% of these matchups and UConn can be back to being a second weekend regular and an occasional threat to win it all.

Reaction Score
He needs to make sure Sanogo understands every time he touches it doesnt mean he needs to score. If he has more than 2-3 dribbles to get his shot please find an open teammate. Love the kid, but being a black hole isn’t going to be a good thing for this team. And for now Hurley is always calling his number so he knows little else.
I think if Sanogo is single teamed it’s reasonable to take the shot. He had help defense on him late in the game but the kid is a student of the game plus he’s a worker and he’ll get it I’m confident.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Let's have some perspective here. UConn is a talented team with a good coach. Michigan State is a talented team with a HOF coach
UConn learns from this game and makes them stronger in Big East play
MSU is not a better team than us. We put ourselves in deficits sometimes double-digit deficits, have to fight our way back, get a lead, and then piss it way. These things are fixable. We should've beaten them

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I think there’s fair criticism of him to be had.

But I also think it’s ridiculous to not point out there are a couple people here who are going to eternally crucify him for not being Jim Calhoun after every loss. I don’t think Nelson falls into that group but there’s certainly others that do.
And there are others that want Hurley gone that wanted Ollie as our coach

Reaction Score
Actually this is Selvie's fault.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

Yup. I have inside info that Hurley designed a play that called for Martin to pass directly to an MSU player who was supposed to pass it back to Martin for an uncontested lay up, a play Hurley stole from the Globetrottrrs but Rizzo double crossed him. Stupid Hurley.

Reaction Score
Yup. I have inside info that Hurley designed a play that called for Martin to pass directly to an MSU player who was supposed to pass it back to Martin for an uncontested lay up, a play Hurley stole from the Globetrottrrs but Rizzo double crossed him. Stupid Hurley.

You’re right Cohen in other words everyone knew it right? Hmmmm ;)

Reaction Score
And he can even re-post after passing back out and reestablish position.

Reaction Score
Just rewatched the second half.

Connecticut is a solid Top 25 team. UConn has to play smarter offensively if it wants to be more than that, and that is the coach's responsibility.

UConn played well yesterday, especially on defense. I felt that UConn didn't understand Hurley's defensive rotations Hurley's first years in Storrs, but I think they get it now. UConn gets a lot of steals off the ball now, and the help defense is pretty good. MSU scored its 41st point at the 16:29 mark of the 2nd half. MSU scored 7 points the next 12+ minutes. UConn should have been up 15 points by the end of that stretch.

While UConn does not have a "go to" star, there is a lot of talent on this team and plenty of guys who can put the ball on the basket, but the Huskies have to play better offense if they want to consistently beat teams like Michigan State.. There were a lot of contested pullups, 1 on 2+ penetration, and silly turnovers (Sanogo's shot clock violation, AJ standing on the sideline, Martin's terrible turnover in the last 30 seconds trying an entry pass from the top of the key) that were just wasted possessions. It is hard to beat Tom Izzo doing that. I am amazed that the game was as close it was with UConn's offense.

Martin and Sanogo have to feel the double teams and kick it out. Polley was WIDE OPEN a bunch of times for an inside-out 3 attempt and players were not even looking for him.

Cole can be successful in the pickup basketball offense, but Gaffney needs a little more structure. After the weave start UConn runs sometimes, I can't tell what the offense is other than give the ball to one of about 5 players and see if they can beat their defender 1 on 1 (or 1 on 2). Also, when Jackson dumps the ball into Sanogo, he has to clear out and a shooter has to rotate in behind Sanogo to keep the defense honest. MSU was leaving Jackson undefended on the perimeter.

UConn can do everything right and still lose to a team like Michigan State, but the odds get pretty long to beat good teams if UConn wastes as many possessions as it does.

Hurley needs to assign a coach to run the offense. There is too much going on during a game for Hurley to do it himself, and Hurley is not that good at coaching offense anyway.
Stupid take, but at least you are consistent with this theme

Reaction Score

Connecticut is a solid Top 25 team. UConn has to play smarter offensively if it wants to be more than that, and that is the coach's responsibility.

UConn played well yesterday, especially on defense. I felt that UConn didn't understand Hurley's defensive rotations Hurley's first years in Storrs, but I think they get it now. UConn gets a lot of steals off the ball now, and the help defense is pretty good. MSU scored its 41st point at the 16:29 mark of the 2nd half. MSU scored 7 points the next 12+ minutes. UConn should have been up 15 points by the end of that stretch.

While UConn does not have a "go to" star, there is a lot of talent on this team and plenty of guys who can put the ball on the basket, but the Huskies have to play better offense if they want to consistently beat teams like Michigan State.. There were a lot of contested pullups, 1 on 2+ penetration, and silly turnovers (Sanogo's shot clock violation, AJ standing on the sideline, Martin's terrible turnover in the last 30 seconds trying an entry pass from the top of the key) that were just wasted possessions. It is hard to beat Tom Izzo doing that. I am amazed that the game was as close it was with UConn's offense.

Martin and Sanogo have to feel the double teams and kick it out. Polley was WIDE OPEN a bunch of times for an inside-out 3 attempt and players were not even looking for him.

Cole can be successful in the pickup basketball offense, but Gaffney needs a little more structure. After the weave start UConn runs sometimes, I can't tell what the offense is other than give the ball to one of about 5 players and see if they can beat their defender 1 on 1 (or 1 on 2). Also, when Jackson dumps the ball into Sanogo, he has to clear out and a shooter has to rotate in behind Sanogo to keep the defense honest. MSU was leaving Jackson undefended on the perimeter.

UConn can do everything right and still lose to a team like Michigan State, but the odds get pretty long to beat good teams if UConn wastes as many possessions as it does.

Hurley needs to assign a coach to run the offense. There is too much going on during a game for Hurley to do it himself, and Hurley is not that good at coaching offense anyway.
Rethinking this

Reaction Score

LOL,

Reaction Score
That big man hedge cost them the game today… literally. Every BE team knows what they’ll see, and lots of uncontested layups will be our downfall.
I agree - and I don't wanna hear that's the way the game is played today. It doesn't work for this team. It creates little to no turnovers. It sometimes leaves the rim unprotected. It wears out Whaley (and I think he has been a bit slow this year; not sure if he's a bit bulked up or dinged up but he's not been as quick as last year). Net, net it's a negative and shouldn't be utilized unless there is an absolute mismatch reason to use it. Period.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Just got back from AAU. Bout to watch this ish now.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
I don't know. If we won would the coach be a hero? We shaved a 15 point deficit down to 2 and had a shot at getting a victory. The story line for me tonight is the open baselines and uncontested layups cost us the game. Plus we didn't box out several times on the defensive boards. You're going to have cold shooting nights but the defense has to be locked in and they just weren't.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom