This loss is on the coach | Page 4 | The Boneyard

This loss is on the coach

Reaction Score
You're not wrong but you responded to his post from November 26th. Which is why people who just post "Bump" on their old threads as analysis are dumb
I realized that 2 hours ago and said as such. He still reaches dope status every time he posts. The fact he thinks everyone else is clueless is the funny part.

Reaction Score
You trashed me because you thought a month old post was made today. You should take a break from the Internet.
That was a while ago and I admitted my mistake. It happens. What else you got? Predictable bad opinions after every loss?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Muntz only only shows up on the basketball board to trash Hurley.

You are challenging UCfor3 as the stupidest poster on this board. Actually, that is not fair to UCfor3.

Reaction Score
I’ve read exactly none of this thread so far, but this team is an absolute joke. The idea that UConn will be anything other than a five hundred team in the Big East and a bubble team for the tournament is about as wishful as thinking gets. Hurley has shown zero ability to develop his teams into anything significantly different than what they are in December. He recruits well, at least for now, but he has no idea how to put the right combination of players on the floor, and his in-game coaching is borderline embarrassing. The amount of sheer talent on this team should translate into domination of the conference, but losing to unranked Providence at home before a sellout crowd is not something that they have much of a chance to recover from. I was looking forward to this team being competitive in a strong conference this year, but let’s face it: they play like . There have been a ton of UConn teams that haven’t shot very well but have been successful because they rebounded and played lockdown defense. This team has the ability to do all of that and a lot more, but they don’t want to. And that is on the coaching staff. End of rant.

Quote Reply
Reportyuh

Reaction Score
You are challenging UCfor3 as the stupidest poster on this board. Actually, that is not fair to UCfor3.
I'm gonna let you believe this. It's XMas after all.

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score
give them to me big boy

Ok Mrs Hurley - we hear you

Are you the one who advised him to play Gaffney at the end of the game?
Are you the one who advised him to play a line-up that has Gaffney, Polley and AJ on the floor?
Did you tell him to have Hawkins and Akok warm up the bus the whole 2nd half?
What did you tell him at halftime that had his team so unprepared for the first 6 minutes of the 2nd half?
Have you been helping him during these last 4 years to devise these great half court offensive schemes that has opposing coaches shaking in their boots?
Did you tell him to keep Sool on the bench because Andrew needs a friend to talk to?
Have you been hearing him mentor Sanogo to make sure when he returns he doesn't play hero ball and knows how to pass out to the open men when he is triple teamed?
Are we practicing FTs during practice sessions?
When are you going to plead with him to hire an assistant coach who is an offensive guru or get a mentor who can help him with that part of the game?
We know he can recruit very well but what would happen if his last name isn't Hurley and UConn isn't in the NBE?

Don't worry Mrs Hurley, Danny won't lose his job but I for one would like some answers, please.
RJ Cole & Tyrese Martin both missing two free throws @7 minutes and 4minutes

Hawkins missing the wide open three after the timeout at 2:30

Isiah Whaley travel after the flagrant foul free throws at 2minutes

The players made a bunch of losing plays down the stretch despite being put in good opportunities to execute

Be honest how many games do you expect to win with RJ, Polley, and Hawkins shooting a combined 4 for 19 from three? We’ve seen what this team looks like when they make shots (Auburn) and what they look like when they don’t (WVU, Providence, etc).

Sitting here pretending like every freshman stuck on the bench is going to come in and save us isn’t going to help one bit

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree - and I don't wanna hear that's the way the game is played today. It doesn't work for this team. It creates little to no turnovers. It sometimes leaves the rim unprotected. It wears out Whaley (and I think he has been a bit slow this year; not sure if he's a bit bulked up or dinged up but he's not been as quick as last year). Net, net it's a negative and shouldn't be utilized unless there is an absolute mismatch reason to use it. Period.
I’m fine with Whaley doing it… if there is a rim protector behind him. He can’t do both, and everyone knows it. None of the other bigs should even try. Even our guards can’t keep guys from blowing by.

Reaction Score
Just rewatched the second half.

Connecticut is a solid Top 25 team. UConn has to play smarter offensively if it wants to be more than that, and that is the coach's responsibility.

UConn played well yesterday, especially on defense. I felt that UConn didn't understand Hurley's defensive rotations Hurley's first years in Storrs, but I think they get it now. UConn gets a lot of steals off the ball now, and the help defense is pretty good. MSU scored its 41st point at the 16:29 mark of the 2nd half. MSU scored 7 points the next 12+ minutes. UConn should have been up 15 points by the end of that stretch.

While UConn does not have a "go to" star, there is a lot of talent on this team and plenty of guys who can put the ball on the basket, but the Huskies have to play better offense if they want to consistently beat teams like Michigan State.. There were a lot of contested pullups, 1 on 2+ penetration, and silly turnovers (Sanogo's shot clock violation, AJ standing on the sideline, Martin's terrible turnover in the last 30 seconds trying an entry pass from the top of the key) that were just wasted possessions. It is hard to beat Tom Izzo doing that. I am amazed that the game was as close it was with UConn's offense.

Martin and Sanogo have to feel the double teams and kick it out. Polley was WIDE OPEN a bunch of times for an inside-out 3 attempt and players were not even looking for him.

Cole can be successful in the pickup basketball offense, but Gaffney needs a little more structure. After the weave start UConn runs sometimes, I can't tell what the offense is other than give the ball to one of about 5 players and see if they can beat their defender 1 on 1 (or 1 on 2). Also, when Jackson dumps the ball into Sanogo, he has to clear out and a shooter has to rotate in behind Sanogo to keep the defense honest. MSU was leaving Jackson undefended on the perimeter.

UConn can do everything right and still lose to a team like Michigan State, but the odds get pretty long to beat good teams if UConn wastes as many possessions as it does.

Hurley needs to assign a coach to run the offense. There is too much going on during a game for Hurley to do it himself, and Hurley is not that good at coaching offense anyway.
Does any head coach have another coach call plays? Is this a thing?

Reaction Score
I only have 1 question. Do we win this tonight with Sanogo?

Hoops91

The Truth Factory
Reaction Score
I wonder if Calhoun could win more games with this team?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Does any head coach have another coach call plays? Is this a thing?

The assistant can feed it through Hurley. It is common in the NBA to have an assistant focused on offense or defense. I don't know how often that happens in the college.

Reaction Score
The assistant can feed it through Hurley. It is common in the NBA to have an assistant focused on offense or defense. I don't know how often that happens in the college.
Sounds unlikely. But if there's some precedent. Even if it's NBA precedent..... maybe.

Reaction Score
I’m fine with Whaley doing it… if there is a rim protector behind him. He can’t do both, and everyone knows it. None of the other bigs should even try. Even our guards can’t keep guys from blowing by.
Agreed about only doing it if there's someone else protecting the rim and with Akok only playing about 15 minutes today, I'd say we had no one protecting the rim for most of the game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom