The yore of UConn QBs & Coaches past… | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The yore of UConn QBs & Coaches past…

Reaction Score
I think the writing was on the wall that basically QB coaching levels we've had over the past decade ( especially right before JM took over ) was/has been lacking. Sounds to me like we've had that QB talent all along, but didn't have the right guys to develop them properly. Mix in the fact that we were/have been considered laughing stock in the FBS rankings because of the constant losing, how do you dig out of that hole?

I truly feel like we've done just that with coach JM and his staff.

Reaction Score
The UConn tell all book that I want to read is what happened to Tim Boyle for him to not get a sniff and end up on the Packers? How did he get that good?

It's not complicated, Shirreffs was the better college QB for us because he could run the ball. Boyle always had NFL physicality but with poor coaching and poor line play he was never going to succeed here. If Boyle played for UCONN 10 years earlier, redshirt his freshman year and was coached up, he probably could have been another Orlovsky.

Reaction Score
It's not complicated, Shirreffs was the better college QB for us because he could run the ball. Boyle always had NFL physicality but with poor coaching and poor line play he was never going to succeed here. If Boyle played for UCONN 10 years earlier, redshirt his freshman year and was coached up, he probably could have been another Orlovsky.
Actually ktuck911 hit it on the head, we had some great QB talent over the years but had lousy QB coaching, with the exception of Joe Moorehead. The list of talented QB’s who were badly coached and mismanaged, and the ones that saw that and left is a long one. Boyle, Jay Rose, Mike Nebrich, Lagow, Cochran, and a couple others I’m forgetting.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Of course, we started 0-9 that year.
LOL, remember when you used to be the biggest booster for this team? I do.

(yes, I get it was a joke.)

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I tend to agree. The QB's get a lot of attention and while flawed in various ways, the starters haven't had the protection nor the confidence to run anything other than a limited playbook. Still, I can't think of one who could consistently read defenses worth a damn.

Reaction Score
Actually ktuck911 hit it on the head, we had some great QB talent over the years but had lousy QB coaching, with the exception of Joe Moorehead. The list of talented QB’s who were badly coached and mismanaged, and the ones that saw that and left is a long one. Boyle, Jay Rose, Mike Nebrich, Lagow, Cochran, and a couple others I’m forgetting.
Jay Rose was never thought to be a QB at UCONN.

Reaction Score
By who? Coaches, I mean, not knowitalls on the Boneyard. Rose had offers to play QB at hundreds of other D1 schools.
I can tell you he did not. Hundreds? Really? Great athlete, but not a QB.

Reaction Score
By who? Coaches, I mean, not knowitalls on the Boneyard. Rose had offers to play QB at hundreds of other D1 schools.
LOL. Yeah not so much. Maybe a few FCS programs. But every major program that recruited him listed him as a tight end. As it turned out he probably wouldn’t have lasted anywhere any way. Didn’t he want to stay with Mommy?

Reaction Score

I personally never understood why he didn't pursue the QB position. He probably had many telling him his best shot at the NFL was as a TE, but now that his career seems to be over I wonder if there are any regrets there. He had a big arm, the height, and certainly could run. I thought he was a good QB prospect. Try QB first and then make the switch if it doesn't work out.

When he first committed to UCONN I thought it was as a QB and I think many on the yard did. In fact when he left camp that first summer I immediately assumed it was because Diaco told him he was a TE and he wanted to go somewhere else where he could play QB.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I can tell you he did not. Hundreds? Really? Great athlete, but not a QB.
Ok, maybe not hundreds but of his final four two offers were as a QB and two were as a TE. In high school his sophomore year he played as a tight end, but his junior and senior years he was Southington’s QB, passed for 3000 yards and had 47 touchdowns.

Reaction Score
I personally never understood why he didn't pursue the QB position. He probably had many telling him his best shot at the NFL was as a TE, but now that his career seems to be over I wonder if there are any regrets there. He had a big arm, the height, and certainly could run. I thought he was a good QB prospect. Try QB first and then make the switch if it doesn't work out.

When he first committed to UCONN I thought it was as a QB and I think many on the yard did.
He threw for 47 touchdowns and 3000 yards in his junior and senior years. His final four schools were UConn, Syracuse, Wisconsin and Wake Forest, and of those four offers, two were for QB and two were for TE. His sophomore season at Southington he played TE in every game.

Reaction Score
Your exaggerations are really getting out of hand these days.

Reaction Score

When he first committed to UCONN I thought it was as a QB and I think many on the yard did. In fact when he left camp that first summer I immediately assumed it was because Diaco told him he was a TE and he wanted to go somewhere else where he could play QB.
That’s true, Diaco did initially offer him as a QB as did Syracuse. Wisconsin and Wake Forest offered him as a TE.

Reaction Score
He threw for 47 touchdowns and 3000 yards in his junior and senior years. His final four schools were UConn, Syracuse, Wisconsin and Wake Forest, and of those four offers, two were for QB and two were for TE. His sophomore season at Southington he played TE in every game.

Do you know which schools were QB and which were TE? Did Diaco pull the old switcheroo on him?

His story is similar to Shirreffs and Tyler Lorenzen who were both told they were not QB's but they pursued it elsewhere and found success. I initially thought that was why he left training camp that first summer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Do you know which schools were QB and which were TE? Did Diaco pull the old switcheroo on him?

His story is similar to Shirreffs and Tyler Lorenzon who were both told they were not QB's but they pursued it elsewhere and found success. I initially thought that was why he left training camp that first summer.
Yes, Honest Bob D took back the offer as a QB and changed it to TE.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Actually, if my memory serves me correctly, it was really because our offensive line had deteriorated under Coach P to become one of the worst pass blocking lines in the country. The fact that none of the 4 quarterbacks mentioned were very mobile didn't help either.
It didn't help that the OL received little in-game coaching, their coach being up in the booth and all.

Reaction Score
The last 10 years have become a blur of bad memories for me, but there was a stretch of time where defenders seemed to come untouched into our backfield on almost every play. Running backs were hit as they took handoffs and QBs were sacked before they could set their feet.
Nothing can significantly change until this changes. That's sad I think our coach would selfishly prefer not to have to play freshman when you have transfers coming in that theoretically should be more experienced. Realistically I don't think he'll be able to make a decision this week but sometime next week It should become clearer. To barely getting to know the playbook and their personnel at this point. The guys deserve a chance to compete and I'm not in a hurry to shut down that process.

Reaction Score
The last 10 years have become a blur of bad memories for me, but there was a stretch of time where defenders seemed to come untouched into our backfield on almost every play. Running backs were hit as they took handoffs and QBs were sacked before they could set their feet.
How about 10 years of memories of missed tackles down field. I hope Mora can teach our defensive backfield how to make open field tackles. All those memories of our defenders bouncing off the offensive player running in the backfield, like balls in a pinball machine, still give me nightmares.

Reaction Score
So I was curious about Pindell's stats....and looking at 2018...one thing jumps out at me. Wow that defense was bad...lol. Look at those scores. Losing 57-7 at home to Temple? Yikes.

View attachment 77926

You’re just now realizing that that was the worst defensive team in the history of football? In a year where in 11 games we gave up more total yards (by 150 or so IIRC) than any team in history had ever given up in 12?

Reaction Score
You’re just now realizing that that was the worst defensive team in the history of football? In a year where in 11 games we gave up more total yards (by 150 or so IIRC) than any team in history had ever given up in 12?
8 yds/carry.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom