The yore of UConn QBs & Coaches past… | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The yore of UConn QBs & Coaches past…

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Did Nebrich ever roster under RE? IIRC, he was a Moorhead recruit and Moorhead was never given full control of the offense under RE and never implemented the modern offense of the time. When he went to Fordham, Nebrich followed and showed how that system was perfect for him and very successful.

Such a waste, but it sums up the ineptitude of this program since the Fiesta Bowl.

Reaction Score
Trick Shot Johnny was PP's boy. Liked the cut of his jib. No clue why. The center at the time was going out with Johnny' sister. You could always count on at least one bad snap in a Nebrich series. But usually he never even got a series.

Nebrich today is in the Fordham Hall of Fame.
I am not sure this is fair. PP recruited over Johnny McEntee at his first opportunity.

How often did true freshmen play significant QB roles in college football in 2011? I don't think it was personal, but I could see PP being "old school" and wanting an upper classman as QB. My assumption is this is that Michael Nebrich was just following a coach that recruited him and he liked.

I am not trying to defend PP. He took a defense that probably could have made the NFL playoffs and could not manage them to a Bowl game, 2 years in a row.

Did Nebrich ever roster under RE? IIRC, he was a Moorhead recruit and Moorhead was never given full control of the offense under RE and never implemented the modern offense of the time. When he went to Fordham, Nebrich followed and showed how that system was perfect for him and very successful.

Such a waste, but it sums up the ineptitude of this program since the Fiesta Bowl.
I believe he was an early enrollee in the spring on 2011, but that was post

Reaction Score
I am not sure this is fair. PP recruited over Johnny McEntee at his first opportunity.

How often did true freshmen play significant QB roles in college football in 2011? I don't think it was personal, but I could see PP being "old school" and wanting an upper classman as QB. My assumption is this is that Michael Nebrich was just following a coach that recruited him and he liked.

I am not trying to defend PP. He took a defense that probably could have made the NFL playoffs and could not manage them to a Bowl game, 2 years in a row.

Yes, Johnny Mac was a junior, but he was a walkon. Nebrich was a three star recruit who was recruited by Edsall/Moorehead. Johnny would never have seen the field for more than spot duty if Edsall had stayed. It was just a case of PP making a break from the past. Nebrich saw the handwriting on the wall after a year of that and followed Moorehead. He made the right decision. Lost in this discussion is the fact that Chandler Witmer transferred in the next year and took the the starting qb job away from Mac.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
IIRC... Nebrich is the one who claimed that when BC (I think) recruited him they said that he shouldn't go to UConn because edsall was leaving soon.

And...they were right.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

The issue was GDL. Nebric (along with a handful of other players) werectold in no uncertain terms that they were not wanted. They didn't fit the mold (P often used the term "prototype") that the new staff wanted. Sadly, the long, painful demise of our program began the day P was hired

I'm done getting angry with the past. There are bright days ahead, let's focus on that.

Reaction Score
The issue was GDL. Nebric (along with a handful of other players) werectold in no uncertain terms that they were not wanted. They didn't fit the mold (P often used the term "prototype") that the new staff wanted. Sadly, the long, painful demise of our program began the day P was hired

I'm done getting angry with the past. There are bright days ahead, let's focus on that.

People point to P's love affair with GDL, and that was certainly a large part of the problem, but to me the bigger part was that P and FHCRE clearly didn't like each other from their time together as assistants at Syracuse, and that seemed to cause P to take the position that whatever Edsall had done now had to be done differently. The Costanza "doing the opposite" plan worked on Seinfeld, but in real life that's not a plan -- it's just a reaction that isn't going to get you a good result.

But FCF is right -- the (incredibly painful and miserable) past can't be undone and is gone. Let's see what Mora can do going forward. We don't have much longer to start finding out.

Reaction Score
People point to P's love affair with GDL, and that was certainly a large part of the problem, but to me the bigger part was that P and FHCRE clearly didn't like each other from their time together as assistants at Syracuse, and that seemed to cause P to take the position that whatever Edsall had done now had to be done differently. The Costanza "doing the opposite" plan worked on Seinfeld, but in real life that's not a plan -- it's just a reaction that isn't going to get you a good result.

But FCF is right -- the (incredibly painful and miserable) past can't be undone and is gone. Let's see what Mora can do going forward. We don't have much longer to start finding out.
Please enough of PP and GDL and Edsall. Let’s move forward . We have an extremely competent Head Coach who has totally changed the way we recruit. I think there is going to be a tremendous improvement and I don’t believe it is going to take years .

Reaction Score
Johnny Mac put one of our more memorable blooper plays on film when he allowed a defender to effortlessly take the ball from him for a TD while he was standing in the endzone deciding what to do. I think it was against Cincy.

Reaction Score
Johnny Mac put one of our more memorable blooper plays on film when he allowed a defender to effortlessly take the ball from him for a TD while he was standing in the endzone deciding what to do. I think it was against Cincy.
That was a defensive end who I believe had a pretty solid NFL career. It was Cincy. I remember the play because my impression immediately was it was like a 13 year old brother playing against his 7 year old sibling. It looked that bad.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
That was a defensive end who I believe had a pretty solid NFL career. It was Cincy. I remember the play because my impression immediately was it was like a 13 year old brother playing against his 7 year old sibling. It looked that bad.
It was Walt Stewart, a buddy of mine knew his family. Not sure if he played in the league though.

Reaction Score
Nebrich saw the handwriting on the wall after a year of that and followed Moorehead.

People point to P's love affair with GDL, and that was certainly a large part of the problem, but to me the bigger part was that P and FHCRE clearly didn't like each other from their time together as assistants at Syracuse, and that seemed to cause P to take the position that whatever Edsall had done now had to be done differently.

I had not heard this, but the 3 of you are saying essentially the same thing, I take back my previous post. I despise the man for his part in destroying a program that I love, but I guess I was giving him too much credit.

Reaction Score
It's been a while since we had four very talented QB's competing for the job. It reminds me of the august competition nine years ago when we had true freshman Boyle and Lagow, sophomore Cochran, and junior Whitmer competing, that was a talented foursome much like we have now. Lagow left as soon as he realized he wasn't getting the job and he ended up having the best college career of the four. The biggest difference is none of those QB's were dual threat and we (hopefully) have competent people at the helm now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's been a while since we had four very talented QB's competing for the job. It reminds me of the august competition nine years ago when we had true freshman Boyle and Lagow, sophomore Cochran, and junior Whitmer competing, that was a talented foursome much like we have now. Lagow left as soon as he realized he wasn't getting the job and he ended up having the best college career of the four. The biggest difference is none of those QB's were dual threat and we (hopefully) have competent people at the helm now.
Of course, we started 0-9 that year.

Reaction Score
When you have a coaching staff that thinks the best way to push the ball down the field is when you have successive plays that make 2 or 3 yards and a ball of dust, then 0-9 becomes a strong possibility.

Reaction Score
When you have a coaching staff that thinks the best way to push the ball down the field is when you have successive plays that make 2 or 3 yards and a ball of dust, then 0-9 becomes a strong possibility.
Actually, if my memory serves me correctly, it was really because our offensive line had deteriorated under Coach P to become one of the worst pass blocking lines in the country. The fact that none of the 4 quarterbacks mentioned were very mobile didn't help either.

Reaction Score
Actually, if my memory serves me correctly, it was really because our offensive line had deteriorated under Coach P to become one of the worst pass blocking lines in the country. The fact that none of the 4 quarterbacks mentioned were very mobile didn't help either.
The last 10 years have become a blur of bad memories for me, but there was a stretch of time where defenders seemed to come untouched into our backfield on almost every play. Running backs were hit as they took handoffs and QBs were sacked before they could set their feet.

Reaction Score

That was a terrible coaching staff. P's defensive prowess was really exposed when Brown left and weight lifting seemed optional back then. I remember the reporter from the Waterbury Republican commenting how small the lineman looked, boy was he right, Towson shoved the ball down our throat. Lagow was smart and knew how to deal with that staff, just like Nebrich the year before.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That was a terrible coaching staff. P's defensive prowess was really exposed when Brown left and weight lifting seemed optional back then. I remember the reporter from the Waterbury Republican commenting how small the lineman looked, boy was he right, Towson shoved the ball down our throat. Lagow was smart and knew how to deal with that staff, just like Nebrich the year before.
It's called voting with your feet. But gosh, it took Lagow awhile to find his billet. Two years as I recall?

Reaction Score
It's called voting with your feet. But gosh, it took Lagow awhile to find his billet. Two years as I recall?
Yeah, but he ended with an opportunity to play, albeit at the P5 level. Woulda/Coulda/Shoulda been doing that with us instead of Indiana

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

He would have started rather quickly if he stuck it out. But the kid clearly needed an attitude adjustment before he was going to have any success.

The UConn tell all book that I want to read is what happened to Tim Boyle for him to not get a sniff and end up on the Packers? How did he get that good?

Reaction Score
He would have started rather quickly if he stuck it out. But the kid clearly needed an attitude adjustment before he was going to have any success.

The UConn tell all book that I want to read is what happened to Tim Boyle for him to not get a sniff and end up on the Packers? How did he get that good?
That would be interesting.

I think the thing that pleases me the most about HCJM is that he seems to feel very comfortable in his own skin. Under little pressure to do certain things just to establish that he is the new big man in town rather than doing things just because they make sense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom