The XL Center is a Dump | The Boneyard

The XL Center is a Dump

Reaction Score
Guys, I’m not saying anything we don’t already know, but we deserve better. Why can’t we have a fun modern arena like everyone else? This gets amplified for big crowds like today where it’s difficult to walk to different parts of the arena and food and bathroom lines are very long. The place is a real dump. No word on the buzzing sound today - for me it seemed much better, but maybe that’s because the arena was full.

At this risk of sounding completely hypercritical, I don’t want basketball in Hartford to go away. However, if we stay in the AAC, I fear we will lose the XL Center and play all games at Gampel.

The team played hard and fought today, but the talent deficiency is quite apparent. We have guys playing 35+ minutes that should be playing 10-12.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
But it looks good on TV when it's full and loud. The other plus is you're not in the building!

Reaction Score
nothing but $300 million prevents this
I’m still confused and amused by this number thrown around by the politicians. I think we the taxpayers have put something close to $100 million into XL in the last couple of years including the $50 million just approved. Bridgeport cost less than $100 million in today’s dollars. Yes, I know Bridgeport doesn’t hold 16000 but it wouldn’t take another $200 million to increase the size. Take a page out of Philadelphia’s book and build it next to the baseball stadium.
Have our bankrupt city build it like they did the baseball stadium and then have the state approve another $40 million a year subsidy to Hartford (again like baseball) and , presto, problem solved.

Reaction Score
I am sick of the whole scene. Today, I was waiting to cross a street to the XL. The light had cycled all directions and I assumed the walk signal was going to come on. My bad. I started crossing and the linebacker sized cop got into my 56 year old face ready to slam me. He said go back. I did not engage him as he told me to go back. I did as ordered and he screamed if you don’t go back, I’m going to arrest you. I was already back. I guess his penis grew two sizes as he was probably bored. I was wrong but did not engage him at all. I guess that is how young kids get killed sometimes.

Reaction Score
I am sick of the whole scene. Today, I was waiting to cross a street to the XL. The light had cycled all directions and I assumed the walk signal was going to come on. My bad. I started crossing and the linebacker sized cop got into my 56 year old face ready to slam me. He said go back. I did not engage him as he told me to go back. I did as ordered and he screamed if you don’t go back, I’m going to arrest you. I was already back. I guess his penis grew two sizes as he was probably bored. I was wrong but did not engage him at all. I guess that is how young kids get killed sometimes.
We had something similar happen at a game earlier in the season.

Reaction Score
We had something similar happen at a game earlier in the season.
Where are these guys as I get harassed for money every afternoon at a major bus stop. No padding the pension during the week

Reaction Score

Wow. What an a hole.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Are you kidding?

How about the closed bathrooms because they ‘think they were causing leaks below’?
That bathroom was closed today for the first time in what...ever? Dump to me means dirty, poorly lit. The XL is old, not the same thing.

Reaction Score
Our Uconn facility isn't much better. There is more room on a school bus seat than on those benches at the Gamp. Also, plenty of rest rooms and food are not to be found. Stop complaining about Hartford. Aren't you able to take the free bus to the XL and not worry about a DUI. Enjoy life!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
To each his own but I would honestly never be embarrassed to bring out of state friends to a game at XL.

If they have never been to any other arena anywhere they probably won’t even know.

It’s totally normal to let ChickFilA set up a random table in a narrow hallway - then let the line block the stairs to 4 sections.

It’s also tremendous when said ChickFilA makes their dopey food offsite and at 12:10 has nothing to sell for a game that starts at 12:00... but they have condiments if anyone needs honey mustard.

Reaction Score
At least we all get chairbacks at the XL. Having someones knees in your back all game at Gampel sucks.

Reaction Score
If they have never been to any other arena anywhere they probably won’t even know.

Um I'm not sure what you're getting at but you obviously don't know anything about me or people I associate with.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Um I'm not sure what you're getting at but you obviously don't know anything about me or people I associate with.

I know the XL center is a civic embarrassment to the city and state.

That you don’t understand is a you problem not a me problem.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom