The XL Center is a Dump | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The XL Center is a Dump

Reaction Score
I am sick of the whole scene. Today, I was waiting to cross a street to the XL. The light had cycled all directions and I assumed the walk signal was going to come on. My bad. I started crossing and the linebacker sized cop got into my 56 year old face ready to slam me. He said go back. I did not engage him as he told me to go back. I did as ordered and he screamed if you don’t go back, I’m going to arrest you. I was already back. I guess his penis grew two sizes as he was probably bored. I was wrong but did not engage him at all. I guess that is how young kids get killed sometimes.

Hartford police are often quite terrible. Not all but enough. Theyre the guys that couldnt get jobs in other towns because theyre unqualified bullies.

And we wonder why police brutality (and complicit silence) is a problem

Reaction Score
Hartford police are often quite terrible. Not all but enough. Theyre the guys that couldnt get jobs in other towns because theyre unqualified bullies.
And we wonder why police brutality (and complicit silence) is a problem

You are right. Generally they are really poor. I do have to say years ago I had a minor fender bender and the cop was really good, not authoritative and making everyone feel bad. I even called and spoke to his supervisor telling him he had a great ambassador

Reaction Score
I've never had a problem with the XL Center. I arrive 30-45 minutes beforehand, use the bathrooms, head to the concessions and eat in my seat while I wait for the game to start. Not much else is required. The people who are constantly getting up every whistle are the worst.

I understand that for others the concessions can be a nightmare. My dad must have missed the first five minutes of the second half just getting a coffee. Fortunately we won't have these problems much longer because nobody is going to come to the games.

Reaction Score
I know the XL center is a civic embarrassment to the city and state.

That you don’t understand is a you problem not a me problem.
It’s not that bad. The phased upgrades they made to the facility look really nice. The concourses are small. Not much you can do about that without the full 250 million dollar upgrade. The people have spoken through their representatives and the major upgrade was not approved as part of the state budget. The XL Center will just need to make it work with the $$$ That we’re approved for accential upgrades. You can’t always get what you want, but if you try sometime, you just might find, you get what you need.

Reaction Score
It’s not that bad. The phased upgrades they made to the facility look really nice. The concourses are small. Not much you can do about that without the full 250 million dollar upgrade. The people have spoken through their representatives and the major upgrade was not approved as part of the state budget. The XL Center will just need to make it work with the $$$ That we’re approved for accential upgrades. You can’t always get what you want, but if you try sometime, you just might find, you get what you need.
That's the Catch 22: It's the concourse that needs the work most of all, but they can't do the concourse due to the cost so they throw money at much less critical upgrades

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
That's the Catch 22: It's the concourse that needs the work most of all, but they can't do the concourse due to the cost so they throw money at much less critical upgrades

Emphasis on 'much less'. The sh1tters don't even work.

Reaction Score
Emphasis on 'much less'. The sh1tters don't even work.

the restrooms are a special brand of poor design. I imagine that even when the place was new there were problems with them with the way crowds move through the room. Mainly talking about the sink areas, can they be anymore poorly designed and right in the flow of traffic. Also, the groaning pipes are very alarming. I"ve noticed it doesn't happen at ever game, but there have been times I thought the restroom was literally going to explode due to the loud groaning coming from the plumbing.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
All I need is a seat and a court/field to enjoy a basketball /football game. I'm not sure what all these millennial divas need to watch a game.

I'm no millennial, not even sure they even attend games. I like space, comfort, cleanliness, good food and beverages. I still do enjoy the games, but I enjoy the games played at other venues a whole lot more.

PS: I also think the benches at GP and the Rent are shorted sighted and a joke. Luckily for me, I don't have to sit on them anymore

Reaction Score
I'm no millennial, not even sure they even attend games. I like space, comfort, cleanliness, good food and beverages. I still do enjoy the games, but I enjoy the games played at other venues a whole lot more.

PS: I also think the benches at GP and the Rent are shorted sighted and a joke. Luckily for me, I don't have to sit on them anymore

I can understand the Rent benches - and they're actually not that bad comfort wise. I find the benches at GP to be very uncomfortable and WAY too cramped.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Makes me glad I haven't been in the place in years. I try to go to a couple of games a year, coming down from MA, but Gampel is much closer for me. I always went to the road game at PC every year, I miss that. No complaints about the Dunk.

As for bench seats, most college stadiums have those. Allen Field house bench seats were designed when the average American was about 50% smaller than they are today. The solution there? Stand up the whole game.

Reaction Score
Makes me glad I haven't been in the place in years. I try to go to a couple of games a year, coming down from MA, but Gampel is much closer for me. I always went to the road game at PC every year, I miss that. No complaints about the Dunk.

As for bench seats, most college stadiums have those. Allen Field house bench seats were designed when the average American was about 50% smaller than they are today. The solution there? Stand up the whole game.
I lived in Gainesville for 6 years. Even in Football power SEC, their stadiums are benches, which is why it was a big deal in 2004 when I went to the FLA - GA game in Jacksonville and to sit in chairbacks with cup holders.
The Dunkin Donuts Center was completely renovated 15 years ago and the problems mentioned above such as concourses, concessions, bathrooms etc. was fixed.
Colleges at the level of Bentley, AIC are not content with playing in aging municpal arenas - they are moving to new arenas (Webster Bank) or builing their own (Bentley. ) This is why it is a wise move that UConn is putting $$$ into Gampel and looking to build/renovate an on campus hockey arena.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom