The View From Section 241 — Boston College | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241 — Boston College

Reaction Score
As I’ve said earlier this year, what do I know about football? If you told me coming in no Houston and Keelan Marion for three plays, I would have thought I’d be signing on tonight to talk about another loss. Instead, the headline is that bowl eligibility is a very real goal. I still am not ready to take anyone for granted — I have no doubt the coaches aren’t either — but we’re 14 points favorites, at home, to the worst team in FBS. If we get it done, we’re 5 and 5 and have two shots to get to 6. Liberty, which is substantially better than us, at home (where I expect to be 4-1 and riding a confidence wave), and then at a not good Army team that the computers seem to think has played better than us but for the life of me I don’t see why. Whatever happens, so long as we beat UMass, this year, to me, has been a terrific success EVEN BEFORE CONSIDERING THE LOSS OF SKILL PLAYERS WE’VE HAD TO LIVE WITH. I believe in the Revolution.

I pulled in at 10:15 and was utterly shocked. I was parked all the way at the back of the main (against the stadium) blue lot. As someone who almost alway tailgates, it has been years since I’ve been parked so far away from the stadium. And people, many of whom clearly don’t come all the time, were enthusiastically tailgating. And there were younger people than I’ve seen in years. Getting into the stadium, it was a little more full than Syracuse, but against Syracuse at least a third of the fans were wearing Orange. I would guess roughly 23k actual fans in the building (although the concourse behind the scoreboard was so constantly packed with people using the food trucks that it is not easy to tell. There were certainly BC fans there yesterday, but not nearly in that number. The weather held up nicely, more than warm enough for late October. The day was all set up for success.

And then the game started. No Houston, Marion starting but then disappearing, but no problem. The defensive effort was truly unbelievably good. There are still players left — I’m looking at you Swenson — who were on the worst defensive team in the history of college football. To yesterday. We’ll talk more about the defense in a moment. The offense scored on their first drive — 2003 deja ve — and then really wasn’t good for the rest of the game. In fact, was really poor when you realize how many times they were gifted field position to come away with just 6 more points. But it didn’t turn the ball over, and, since that was all the help the defense needed, fine. Let’s be honest — if you watched the game as a neutral, it must have been a hard watch. But you know what — I’M NOT A NEUTRAL AND I DON’T GIVE A DAMN. We won, and we won comfortably, and on this day — against a local rival whom we had never beaten and with a win needed to leave a realistic shot at a bowl — that was more than enough.

We’ll do offense, defense and special teams but defense obviously comes first. It was such a total team effort that it’s almost unfair to name names. The team took both Flowers and all their tailbacks out of the game from the start, and without them BC had no offense left. And don’t tell me that they lost their QB in the 3rd Quarter. Boo hoo. We’ve played all year without our QB, if you use your QB as your Tailback what do you think is going to happen and you only scored 3 points in 2 and a half quarters with him anyway. But you want names named, o.k. Yes, Jackson MItchell was everywhere, and was everyone’s player of the game, but not mine — I expect close to that out of him. Where did Pryce Yates come from? That was my player of the game. He totally dominated the first 20 minutes or so from DE when the tone of the game was set. Eric Watts stepped forward later in the game and was almost as good. Durante Jones made play after play in the secondary. But it’s unfair to name names, because the big guys up front, who aren’t supposed to make tackles made it easier for everyone else, and everyone who came off the bench to help helped. One example — what the heck is a Carter Hooper, and how in the world is a backup true frosh DL from Canada 25 yards downfield recovering fumbles. Hustling doesn’t mean you will make plays, but if you don’t hustle your butt off, you don’t make a play like that.

I’m not sure what the story was on Marion. Was he just a decoy at the beginning, or did he get hurt somehow? If anyone knows the story there, I’m glad to hear it. Without Houston, the running game struggled like I thought it would. Our success, both Carter and Houston, has largely come from just committing at full speed to small creases up the middle and hoping for the best. I’m not knocking Rosa — in no way was he supposed to be a starting TB this year, he was supposed to get a taste while they figured out his position — but he does what a lot of frosh RBs do — if he doesn’t see a hole, he wants to go outside and hit a HR. Against BC, where there weren’t big visible creases inside, that was a disaster. As for the passing game, I do wish I could understand how Jolly could make that play on the first drive and then no throw goes to him the rest of the game. Aaron Turner made one big catch and came up just short on two others, which if he made would have made the win easier (but, as I’ve said in other plays, they were not “drops,” either one would have been spectacular). But the offense didn’t stop us from winning and that is enough. They can beat UMass without reinforcements but I can’t tell you enough how important getting Houston back for Liberty and Army will be if we’re going to win either of those games. One last note. maybe those who watched on TV got an explanation, but it looked to me that most were on our receivers and they weren’t just beating the snap — it looked like they were consciously doing something that they thought was ok but the refs didn’t. It was strange.

special teams weren’t great, but we made 2 of 3 field goals and weren’t the team that fumbled 3 punts and shanked one, so like the offense not getting in the way of the defense was enough.

So that’s where we are. i won’t be talking about the season as a whole again until after our trip to the Hudson. It’s no longer important how much progress we’re making or where and how further improvement has to come. What’s important is we get at least 2 of the last 3. And if that comes from a pair of 3-0 wins sandwiched around a bad loss, I’ll be cheering, not complaining. See everyone in the parking lot in about 116 hours. And yes, I will be counting them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m not sure what the story was on Marion. Was he just a decoy at the beginning, or did he get hurt somehow? If anyone knows the story there, I’m glad to hear it.

Marion sprained an ankle after his catch to start the game…

Reaction Score
Marion sprained an ankle after his catch to start the game…
Good God. Feel terribly for the young man. Any word on whether he‘s done for the season or it’s week to week? Although I‘m guessing they won’t even know until tomorrow.

Reaction Score
I see similar trend with the last three games.

We come out gangbusters on offense and get a few quick scores. And then they go MIA. The defense has to hang on until the end. I want to see us sustain offense through 4 quarters on Friday.

Objectively BSU and FIU moved the ball better against than BCU. And a lone touchdown would have won the game for us.

I'd rather win a ugly than lose pretty.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Someone mentioned in another thread something about BCU linemen mimicking the snap count and cadence.

If so, that is on coaches and Z Turner on not letting referee crew know that and then pointing it out.

Also, UConn needs to know how to adapt to that crap including going silent counts.

Reaction Score
Good God. Feel terribly for the young man. Any word on whether he‘s done for the season or it’s week to week? Although I‘m guessing they won’t even know until tomorrow.

Guessing we’ll hear on Tuesday he’ll be a game time decision.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Mora said post game that Marion said he would be good to go for UMass but it will be another fame time decision.

Reaction Score
Someone mentioned in another thread something about BCU linemen mimicking the snap count and cadence.

If so, that is on coaches and Z Turner on not letting referee crew know that and then pointing it out.

Also, UConn needs to know how to adapt to that crap including going silent counts.

Mora also said they were doing that in the postgame.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Mora also said they were doing that in the postgame.

Then one of UConn coaches should have been in one of the refs ear about that. For every play.

Not sure what unwritten football rule is about linemen doing that and what is considered an acceptable response, but I am sure there is some mechanism amongst players to discourage it.

Reaction Score
He has played 2 games. He can play twice more and keep his redshirt. Not three times more. Let him rest against UMass and play the last twol
I'm not sure they will think about it that way. Marion came to UConn in 2020 so this is his 3rd year at UConn. Does he want to stay for 6 years?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
By the way, heckuva job by Zion twice selling and executing the behind the back hand off for a jet sweep or reverse.

Announcers called it a variation of the Statue of Liberty since the exchange was behind the back instead of while Turner had the ball in a throwing position.

Call it what you will, but it was a nice wrinkle requiring perfect gamesmanship and execution.

Well done.

Reaction Score
By the way, heckuva job by Zion twice selling and executing the behind the back hand off for a jet sweep or reverse.

Announcers called it a variation of the Statue of Liberty since the exchange was behind the back instead of while Turner had the ball in a throwing position.

Call it what you will, but it was a nice wrinkle requiring perfect gamesmanship and execution.

Well done.
That’s a great point. ZT’s ball handling is quite good. There were a few plays where my eyes were following the wrong player because I missed who actually had the ball.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure they will think about it that way. Marion came to UConn in 2020 so this is his 3rd year at UConn. Does he want to stay for 6 years?

No idea. But given his age, I doubt he has an idea of what he might be thinking after 2 more years, and whether he’d want the option then. But if he’s ready to play on Friday night, it should be his call. And I’m sure it will be.

Reaction Score
I am absolutely shocked at what this team has accomplished given the injuries on offense and the murderous schedule the first half of the season. That these kids stuck together to do this speaks volumes about their character and the leadership of this program. UCONN could very well have folded and, instead, once the Eagles realized they were in for a physical game they collapsed.

I really don't care where we are ranked or where this season ends up as long as the effort continues to be there. We're doing this with smoke and mirrors on offense and a very inspired defense. No team can afford to lose the offensive production we lost and expect to be anywhere at their best. It makes me wonder what might have been this season and makes me excited for what could be next season.

I watched the game on TV. The announcers went on ad nauseum about all of the injuries BC endured with barely a mention of what UCONN has lost. Sad really.....

Hats off to Coach Mora, the staff and a very special group of players. That one will sting BC for a while.

Reaction Score
You are right on the mark with Rosa. No knock. Just a fact. He can’t constantly jump outside and miss creases like he was doing. It confounds me why Burns wasn’t carrying the rock a lot more. He is an effective, inside power back that runs N/S. This lack of recognition by our OC are the things that make me crazy.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Zion Turneer with a career high in passing yards on Saturday.

11-19 for 173, 1 TD, 0 INT.

For the season he's completing 60.7% of his passes. Last three games when the play book seemed to open up some more (FIU, Ball St and BCU) he is 43-60. Even against the Big 3 defenses of SU, UM and NCSU he was 28-45. Yes, I realize many of those were basic WR screens at the line of scrimmage but he made the completion.

He's a 2:1 TD:INT ratio right now at 8 TD and 4 INT.

By no means do I think he is guaranteed anything beyond this season but it's always been my hope Zion would be ready and able to start opening game of 2023. Roberson is going to have to rehab and really show he is demonstrably better to get the starting position back.

Reaction Score
Mora said post game that Marion said he would be good to go for UMass but it will be another fame time decision.
I watched a replay of the game yesterday and Marion was moving on the sideline like he was trying to get back into the game. Unlike Houston who was on crutches after his ankle sprain. Not much rest from Saturday to Friday but I would think (hope) he would be OK to go by Friday night.

Reaction Score
I heard the same thing from a lineman after the game. The initial false start was more a result of nerves and a D line shift right before the snap, but later, BC started employing a more subtle but effective way to confuse us. For example, if we used the word “blue” as a snap cue, BC began shouting “move“, ostensibly part of their defensive shift commands but a (purposeful?) sound alike word in their call. Later in the game we changed to a clap cue. It also appears that (ahem) some players were more prone to react to their antics than others! I certainly expect far fewer than 8 false starts in any game moving forward—lol.

Reaction Score
I watched a replay of the game yesterday and Marion was moving on the sideline like he was trying to get back into the game. Unlike Houston who was on crutches after his ankle sprain. Not much rest from Saturday to Friday but I would think (hope) he would be OK to go by Friday night.
Thank you for the Houston info. That’s the first thing I have heard. I would not rush Houston back for UMass, but I’m praying he’s at close to 100% for Liberty. At that point it will have been five weeks from the injury.

Reaction Score
Zion Turneer with a career high in passing yards on Saturday.

11-19 for 173, 1 TD, 0 INT.

For the season he's completing 60.7% of his passes. Last three games when the play book seemed to open up some more (FIU, Ball St and BCU) he is 43-60. Even against the Big 3 defenses of SU, UM and NCSU he was 28-45. Yes, I realize many of those were basic WR screens at the line of scrimmage but he made the completion.

He's a 2:1 TD:INT ratio right now at 8 TD and 4 INT.

By no means do I think he is guaranteed anything beyond this season but it's always been my hope Zion would be ready and able to start opening game of 2023. Roberson is going to have to rehab and really show he is demonstrably better to get the starting position back.
It's really impressive how he's grown into a complete player. As JM said he's got everything you want in a QB. Talented, smart, belief in himself and desire to win and make UConn great again.

Just the fact he was able to step in after two series in game one and get better each week thereafter (in spite of three straight games against some of the best teams in the country) says how fortunate we are to have him.

If I recall correctly, JM or NC seemed to indicate the staff was bringing ZT along carefully early on, trying not to overwhelm him with too many plays in the mix and also protecting him from possible injuries due to our lack of healthy QB's. The implication was they'd be adding to the play list as he became more comfortable and learned the position, the plays, his teammates skillsets and as he developed they'd open up the offense.

Looks like it's working............

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom