The View From Section 241 — Ball U | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241 — Ball U

Reaction Score
Well, that was a gut punch. The only thing I can say good about yesterday is that without the team having gotten better — without bowl eligibility having been unexpectedly put within our grasp — no one would have cared. You can’t get the highs that a successful game or season give you without being willing to live through the lows. But man, was that a low.

An offense devastated by injuries at the skill positions executed perfectly for a half. Yes, poor tackling helped turn smaller gains into larger ones, but the offense threw the ball, ran the ball, didn’t turn it over, avoided too many penalties, and was perfect. Not explosive but perfect. And then came out of the locker room after half time and stunk to high heaven. No execution. No imagination. Too many mistakes to ever get anything going. Just an absolute, devastatingly poor 30 minutes against a defense that shouldn’t have been able to shut them down like that, even without so many of our weapons. This wasn’t on our defense. Yes, it fell apart late, but it just wore down because the offense, like the second quarter in Utah and against our three BCS opponents, couldn’t keep them off the field. So yes, the D fell apart but only after giving the O more than enough chances to put this one away, or even start possession the ball long enough for the D to get a break and continue its play. Was it all about play calling? I doubt it. I think we got too conservative but the play calling looked worse than it did because of a total inability of anyone on that side of the ball to execute anything or even avoid stupid mental errors. Very disappointing.

Did I think the refs were one sided. Yes. Does that mean I think they must have been cheating? Please. Most of the calls they got wrong were very close. The only call that was clearly wrong was removing the unnecessary roughness call on the helmet to helmet hit on Aaron Turner. There, I think like the Larry Taylor non-fair catch call, the refs just got confused and choked. I think the replays made a good case that an ejection was not required — I think Aaron Taylor’s head as he was going down moved into the plane of the defender’s helmet, and I can see overturning the ejection. And I think the refs got confused and forgot that you could overturn the targeting ejection and it still was a penalty, which it clearly was. I’m not even sure you are allowed to overturn the penalty, as opposed to the ejection. But most of the other calls we’re all whining about were damn close. Unfortunately, we were so close to being able to put the game away for so long that any one of them going the other way might have put the game out of reach. But make no mistake — we lost because our offense shot itself in the foot too many times. Take away the Rosa fumble on a play where there was no reason to be going all out for 2 extra yards, and the receiver who tries to make a move after having been shoved back 10 yards, taking us out of FG range, and we probably win anyway. Yes, it was a gut punch but we deserved it ultimately.

I’m glad we all have the week off. Players, coaches and fans all need it. But I’m going to hope that when we suit up again in two weeks both Houston and Marion are in uniform. We’re 3 and 5, and the odds of winning 3 of 4 are pretty low, but they’re not zero, and none of the games are games we can’t win if we get healthier and play well for 60 minutes, and not just 30. So we all need to recover emotionally, have players heal and hope that we continue to improve as a team, which through 30 minutes yesterday was clearly the case.

But none of that means yesterday wasn’t devastating. It was, because we had to do everything in our power to fail from winning.

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Terrible loss no other way about it. Whinch in saying that is a bit of a compliment and criticism of the staff and program that yes the 2nd half was awful but in short order reasonable expectations have been restored (REstorred? Lol).

I'm happy the games mean something again even if it's a glimmer of eligibility for a random bowl.

Two weeks for BC - hopefully we make it a competitive game.

Reaction Score
.., And then came out of the locker room after half time and stunk to high heaven. No execution. No imagination. Too many mistakes to ever get anything going. Just an absolute, devastatingly poor 30 minutes against a defense that shouldn’t have been able to shut them down like that, even without so many of our weapons.
(sorry BL couldn’t pass up dropping this here):

Reaction Score
I've never cared for bye weeks. It seems that teams tend to stumble out of the gate in that first game after two weeks of game activity.
The only pluses that I can see are:
Two weeks for the walking wounded to heal
Concentrated preparation for the contest against the Thunderchickens
Added time for Coach Mora & staff to take the team to task for the missed opportunity to win yesterday.

Reaction Score
If this had been the first game of the season we would have been ready to throw a parade ....but after these past two weeks we have expectations suddenly.....bottom line we should have won. Going into bye week 4-4 would have been sweet.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
The tipped pass PI review was as bad/worse than the targeting play IMO. Did the referee signal it had been tipped live? If so our guy can knock him down all he wants. Regardless of all that the ball was 20 yards over the receivers head and totally uncatchable.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The tipped pass PI review was as bad/worse than the targeting play IMO. Did the referee signal it had been tipped live? If so our guy can knock him down all he wants. Regardless of all that the ball was 20 yards over the receivers head and totally uncatchable.

The tipped pass / PI was horrible because the refs sucked on that play.

The ball was no where being tipped. QB threw a dying quail that slipped out of his hands. However the ref (actual ref who wears the white hat) had a clear view and immediately displayed the tipped ball hand signal. Once that is shown every player who sees it yells out tipped ball and defenders should immediately initiate contact.

You can't reverse the call and then penalize the defense for reacting to the initial call.

Reaction Score
You make a great point. I would love to find out if the officials had any right to overturn the call on the field.

Reaction Score
It really is a zero sum game...for every winner there is a loser. But sometimes you can look past that W-L designation.

If you see something in the team, in their play, that says something positive is taking place, that there are signs of improvement, then the game has more of a story than the score. You celebrate the positives.

And sometimes we fans suck....FSU, as an example, was 20 points behind #4 Clemson in the 4th, but furiously rallied to lose by 6...the fans had given up up and filed out..but the players did not give up.

If Mora has the team...if the team played hard but the other team overtook them...look at the coaching, the team buy in..signs of a better future.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Remember if you have problems with yesterday's refs then contact our athletic office because in the end this is a contractual agreement to have MAC refs. I'd sooner contract and FCS crew from another part of the country than have hike conference refs

Reaction Score
Remember if you have problems with yesterday's refs then contact our athletic office because in the end this is a contractual agreement to have MAC refs. I'd sooner contract and FCS crew from another part of the country than have hike conference refs

Just about every UConn Home & Home contract I’ve seen over the years has had the following language: “Officials; The officials for the game shall be a crew assigned by the Home Team's conference or the Home Team’s
official assigner.” (hyperlink is for the recent FIU game as an example).

When we go to Ohio State in a few years we get B1G Ten officials.

Reaction Score
I've never cared for bye weeks. It seems that teams tend to stumble out of the gate in that first game after two weeks of game activity.
The only pluses that I can see are:
Two weeks for the walking wounded to heal
Concentrated preparation for the contest against the Thunderchickens
Added time for Coach Mora & staff to take the team to task for the missed opportunity to win yesterday.
@coachcap .... With all due respect as you dislike bye weeks you gave three excellent reasons this has fallen at a good time for us. ;)

Reaction Score

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
It would make this season a whole lot more pleasant.
This season hasn't been all that unpleasant IMO. Teams that figured to crush us did. While the 2nd half this week was beyond ugly, the team has been a big change from the last 7or 8 and with a ton of missing parts and a green QB.

Reaction Score
Somehow this bye week worked out for the best for us this season. With all the injuries and a player returning from the injury list plus the staff being able to do a deeper dive on how we can get better despite this terrible loss, the team should be really at a high energy level on Oct 29th. If we get decent weather it will be a big deal. Get there early!

Reaction Score
Who is our assigner and which officials do we usually get for our home games?
Not 100% sure on who UConn is using as the Assigner as an Independent (??ANEFO - Association of New England Football Officials or EAIFO - Eastern Association of
Intercollegiate Football Officials??) but so far this year it looks like for Holy Cross, Syracuse and Fresno State they were ACC officials.

Reaction Score
This season hasn't been all that unpleasant IMO. Teams that figured to crush us did. While the 2nd half this week was beyond ugly, the team has been a big change from the last 7or 8 and with a ton of missing parts and a green QB.

Oh, I wasn’t implying that it’s been that bad. Just that a win over BCU would be huge for the fanbase considering our resentment of them since CR.

We’ve pretty much held serve in the games we were expected to win & lose, and there has been significant improvement with the team. Mora has done a great job thus far. The injuries on offense that have plagued us since even before the first game have been a big source of frustration, but we’ve weathered them surprisingly well.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't call it a terrible loss. It was a loss, that's all. Frustrating to dominate the first half and get dominated the second half, but it was just a loss. By 4 points rather than 9.5. We only think it was terrible because we are so invested in the Huskies as fans and because they came so close to getting to 0.500.

I hate bye weeks when things are going well. To wit, the Dodgers won 111 games and absolutely dominated the Padres in the RS. But they just got bounced in four games by the Pods in a five game playoff after five days of rest. I could go on with other examples, equally painful to me personally.

But UConn desperately needs this break. Analyze, teach, heal, rest, get back at it full of piss and vinegar. They should have no trouble at all getting up for BC. Believe me.

And I would not give up totally on a bowl even at 5-7 although I concede it would be unlikely. But TV loves a good Cinderella story and how else are you gonna sell one of the Nameless Bowls to a potential audience?

Reaction Score
Just about every UConn Home & Home contract I’ve seen over the years has had the following language: “Officials; The officials for the game shall be a crew assigned by the Home Team's conference or the Home Team’s official assigner.” (hyperlink is for the recent FIU game as an example).

When we go to Ohio State in a few years we get B1G Ten officials.
Really? I always thought the convention was the road team conference brought the refs. I would have sworn to it.

Reaction Score
"Conference referees call intraconference games, but two teams playing an out-of-conference matchup decide who will supply the officials by agreeing on a contract before the game — in most cases, the onus lies on the road team to supply the referees."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom