The View From Section 241 — Army | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241 — Army

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Uhhh where is he going to go? I guess if Ambrose goy hired away then anything is possible.

I don’t want the guy fired but his judgement in certain situations is puzzling to say the least,

Like yesterday. Both times on the one yard line, heh just had to call a QB sneak. Why?

I agree, job 1 this off season is to learn to trust your talent more and drop the gimmicks. But, he has been a major star on the staff this season all things considered. An overuse of Millen, who should have been benched as soon as it became clear he couldn't throw and too many gadget plays isn't going to dampen the upgrade in offensive production and play calling diversity.

He pulled a Diaco by going to the same trick play twice in one game and deserves to be hammered for that, but it didn't happen again so it's clear he isn't as thick as his predecessors.

He stitched together a competent offense that scored well against peer competition.

Reaction Score
I agree, job 1 this off season is to learn to trust your talent more and drop the gimmicks. But, he has been a major star on the staff this season all things considered. An overuse of Millen, who should have been benched as soon as it became clear he couldn't throw and too many gadget plays isn't going to dampen the upgrade in offensive production and play calling diversity.

He pulled a Diaco by going to the same trick play twice in one game and deserves to be hammered for that, but it didn't happen again so it's clear he isn't as thick as his predecessors.

He stitched together a competent offense that scored well against peer competition.

He had some good calls. But at times yes, he out Diaco’d Diaco with the the harebrained 3rd down calls.

Reaction Score
He’s trying to do something to keep defenses off balance when he’s not comfortable calling about 80 Per cent of passes that are probably in his play book. With the lack of weapons available, I’m not willing to criticize play calling this year.

The procedure penalties, however, are another matter. Yes, the failure of the staff to have fixed this is a failing. One failing in a season of successes, but a failing nonetheless.
Army’s defensive front were well coached, they knew going in UConn’s offensive line were getting quite a few false starts this year. They were moving like jitterbugs before every snap, and it worked.

Reaction Score
Army’s defensive front were well coached, they knew going in UConn’s offensive line were getting quite a few false starts this year. They were moving like jitterbugs before every snap, and it worked.
Agree with all you said, but an opponent playing to and exploiting shown weaknesses from prior games is not an excuse for not fixing the weakness. Obviously

Reaction Score
Yes, this was a great season and players and coaches alike should be proud of that. That’s fine for a season end post, and I’ll do one eventually. But it doesn’t excuse what happened yesterday. We were the better team coming into this game, and we played more than well enough from scrimmage for 3 quarters that this should have been a comfortable win. And yet, it ended as a blowout loss. WTF happened? The short answer is if you shoot yourself in the foot enough times, eventually your foot is going to hurt, and then if you keep doing it you’re not going to be able to run any more. And boy, did we find way after way after way to shoot ourselves in the foot while being generally the better team from scrimmage:

So what happened? Where do you want to start. First, we spotted them 7 points by giving up the blocked punt TD right from the start. In a game where they didn’t want to throw at all, and we didn’t want to throw a lot, playing from ahead was critical and that play changed a game that should have had us up big in the first 20 minutes to one where we never got in front of them by more than a nose. I view the blocked punt as a combo of a low snap, the punter taking too much time and an unnecessarily risky scheme of not making any effort at all to even brush the outside guy. Any one of them different …. That then led to a coaching meltdown, and Mora benching Caratan, going to a walk on frosh who made two horrible punts that took us from a 50/50 game, where we were slightly behind but outplaying them, to one where we were two scores down. Penalty after penalty on offense, contributing to the first failure to score from the 1, but multiple drives killed by putting us in long yardage situations where we had to stop running the ball down their throat. The number of pre-snap offensive penalties this year was outrageous, and given the experience of the OL Chalton’s biggest failure. Then the two failures to score from 1st and goal from the one. Giving up 11 points. Now, while on both of those TDS were signaled on the field, I think the replays were pretty clear that neither was a TD (although both missed by inches and we lost a foot on the firat spot and two feet on the second). The play calling also contributed. Throwing to Rayonte Brown on 3rd and goal from the 1? Really? The pass was easily catchable by anyone who turned and ran, instead of trying to backpeddle for 5 yards. The one defensive penalty at the end of the 1st half on Malcolm Bell, a soft PI that probably didn’t have to be called but did happen, where instead of getting the ball back and trying to add to a 3 point lead it led to us going into the locker room behind. And then, for the second straight game, taking the lead in the 3d Q and watching the D give up a 70 plus yard TD run on a reverse WITHOUT ANYONE EVER TOUCHING THE RUNNER.

Beyond all the breakdowns and gifts we gave them, I thought we outplayed them by a decent amount from scrimmage. There was zero reason the offense shouldn’t have been able to dominate the game from the beginning, and forcing Army out of its offense, except that we kept stopping ourselves from grabbing the game by the threat. And once they got up by two scores, game over. We hadn’t come back from a 2 score deficit all year, and the team that went 5-1 at home beating Fresno State, BC and Liberty went 1-5 on the road, losing perfectly winnable games against very mediocre Utah St, Ball State and Army teams.

So while I don’t want to turn this into a review of the season, because yesterday was a really really disappointing loss and should not be sugarcoated, this is an incredibly young team. Subject to the new reality of the transfer portal, we lose one starter (Jake Guidone) and Robert Burns on offense, and 2 and a half starters (Trey Wortham and Swenson, with Bouyer Randle — who I thought was great yesterday by the way — sharing a spot with Shearin based on how many DBs we play with) on D, and the roster overall was unbelievably young this year. And while I am not convinced Zion Turner will be our full time QB next year, he played well enough for us to win 6 games as a true frosh and I have no doubt he’ll be better if he is on the field next year. By the way — I thought he played very well until we fell two scores down, but the first pick we’ve seen before from him and is why we don’t open up the playback — he’s really bad in man coverage on seeing where he’s leading a WR to a corner or safety who will be coming off someone else and in position to make an easy play. But one of the things a more mature team will have to learn is being able to win on the road. Because getting above 6-6 next year, based on our schedule and assuming that teams next year are comparable to how they were this year (which won’t be the case), we’re going to have to be able to beat better teams on the road next year than we did this year if we’re going to get above 6-6.

So that is it for now. A very disappointing end to a very unexpectedly positive season, not that we were more than mediocre but that I thought it would take an entire roster change and a few years to get back to mediocre, and that was without knowing we’d lose all of our starters at the skill positions. As I said on the Bowl Math thread this morning, I expect the odds are good that we’ll be bowling, but we won’t know that for sure at least until next Sunday, and if there are enough bowl eligible teams possibly not until selection Sunday. I’ll do a 241 talking about the season as a whole another time, when the annoyance and disappointment from yesterday goes away a bit.

BL Nice write up, but a bit more negative than my game impression.

The Ball State loss was almost 10x more upsetting than the Army loss. We gave that game away.

Reaction Score
BL Nice write up, but a bit more negative than my game impression.

The Ball State loss was almost 10x more upsetting than the Army loss. We gave that game away.
Eh. We see things differently, which is fine. I thought we played really well for 30 minutes at BSU, and then without Houston as well as the other offensive weapons ran out of steam and were wore down. Whereas Saturday I thought we beat ourselves. But there was certainly some of beating ourselves against BSU and some of being worn down at the end against Army.

Reaction Score
Eh. We see things differently, which is fine. I thought we played really well for 30 minutes at BSU, and then without Houston as well as the other offensive weapons ran out of steam and were wore down. Whereas Saturday I thought we beat ourselves. But there was certainly some of beating ourselves against BSU and some of being worn down at the end against Army.
I took the Army loss harder than the Ball State loss. UConn gave the game away to Ball State but they were still learning to win at that point. I thought they had turned the corner prior to the Army loss but I was wrong. Army loss was just a gut punch to me.

Reaction Score
We gave the Army game away. We spotted them 18 points in the first half, 7 from the blocked punt; 4 after being first and goal from inside the 1 and settling for a FG; and then 7 more when we were again first and goal at the 1 and came up empty. Army wasn't very good, but we had a chance to end it early on a didn't and then paid the price.

Reaction Score
I too am not sold on Charlton yet. Too many head scratching play calls in key situations. Credit to the Army D though on the goal line stands, but I think everyone and their mother knew it was going to be Burns up the middle.

I'm not sold on ZT yet either. I realize he's a true freshman that was thrown into the fire the first game of the season, but I did not see much improvement in his passing decisions over the next 11 games.

All that aside, to go 6-6 after the complete dumpster fire of the past 5 years is friggin' amazing!!
The first and goal calls from the one did me in. Army had what, nine guys in the box, and we didn't run wide or roll out and throw or roll out and pitch to a back?
We suddenly went macho Edsall on every play.

Reaction Score
Rayonte Brown is a great story but throwing the goal line pass to him ranked right up there with the option play with Zion and Cale running to the short side of the field against Liberty. A TE who is used to running routes should have been on that side of the field.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Rayonte Brown is a great story but throwing the goal line pass to him ranked right up there with the option play with Zion and Cale running to the short side of the field against Liberty. A TE who is used to running routes should have been on that side of the field.
I like the creative plays. And I am sure that play worked well in practice.

I know people on here seem to have a problem with Charlton relying on trick plays...but I appreciate him trying to mix it up.

Reaction Score
The first and goal calls from the one did me in. Army had what, nine guys in the box, and we didn't run wide or roll out and throw or roll out and pitch to a back?
We suddenly went macho Edsall on every play.
I was yelling at the TV, put Millen in on a roll out.

Edsall’s ghost.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom