The Season after a Title | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Season after a Title

Reaction Score
Quite a few teams have gone back-to-back final fours. That would be sweet if we could add to this list.

UNC 16-17
Kentucky 14-15
Wisconsin 14-15
Kentucky 11-12
Butler 10-11
Michigan State 09-10
UNC 08-09
UCLA 06-07, 07-08
Florida 06-07
Kansas 02-03 (stopped counting after this one)

Reaction Score
Everyone go to Adam Zagoria’s twitter page. He just said something pretty significant…..

MyDorona

The Hebrew Hammer
Reaction Score
and they did not have a significant injury all year.
This is a bit of revisionist's history. Samson was an ascendant player who started opening night and was generally expected by the staff to be a major contributor after a big pre-season. With the emergence of Karaban and the relegation of Samson, sure, we can now call it "insignificant." But at the time, it was most certainly significant.

Reaction Score
This is a bit of revisionist's history. Samson was an ascendant player who started opening night and was generally expected by the staff to be a major contributor after a big pre-season. With the emergence of Karaban and the relegation of Samson, sure, we can now call it "insignificant." But at the time, it was most certainly significant.

No, it wasn't. But we can agree to disagree. And we'll see going forward who's right. I suspect the fact that he didn't play a meaningful minute all season is a point in my favor.

Reaction Score
I think you all know where I am going with this. It is safe to say UConn has underperformed every season after an NCAA championship. The hangover is real. I hope Hurley uses this as motivation next year.

1999-2000
Preseason Rank: AP #1
End of Season Result: 25-10, 5-seed, L 2nd Round

2004-2005
Preseason Rank: AP #8
End of Season Result: 23-8, 2-seed, L 2nd Round

2011-2012
Preseason Rank: AP #4
End of Season Result: 20-14, 9-seed, L 1st Round

2014-2015
Preseason Rank: AP #17
End of Season Result: 20-15, Missed NCAAs, L 1st Round of NIT
None of those teams brought back as much as this team may bring back.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
It's a travesty that Vital never got to play in the NCAAT.
True but he is just such a great competitor that it seems like even if things around him are not getting better he will continue to grow and excel in whatever he does. I hope we can keep tabs on him. Another of one of the very special people who set a great example for everyone.

Reaction Score
so far, hawkins, alleyne, adama gone? i predict 16.

total trust in hurley

2CA15342-C11C-42BC-95B6-8A6971D39658.gif

Last edited:
Reaction Score
w 2 biggest scorers / 'stars' gone, not so hot.
We'll be fine. In all likelihood the Huskies will take a step back from this past season. But not too far back.

UConn star Adama Sanogo announced Thursday that he's entering the 2023 NBA Draft and fully intends to remain in it. So I'm now projecting the 6-foot-9 center to depart the Big East program — but I'm still keeping the Huskies No. 1 in Version 5 of the 2023-24 CBS Sports preseason Top 25 And 1.

Donovan Clingan is the reason.

Reaction Score
We'll be fine. In all likelihood the Huskies will take a step back from this past season. But not too far back.

UConn star Adama Sanogo announced Thursday that he's entering the 2023 NBA Draft and fully intends to remain in it. So I'm now projecting the 6-foot-9 center to depart the Big East program — but I'm still keeping the Huskies No. 1 in Version 5 of the 2023-24 CBS Sports preseason Top 25 And 1.

Donovan Clingan is the reason.

We're going to be loaded.

Reaction Score
One thing we have going for us for next year is that Danny Hurley seems somewhat obsessed with matching his brother Bobby's accomplishments, one of which is winning back to back titles at Duke. I think as far as Danny is concerned it's game on.

Reaction Score
One thing we have going for us for next year is that Danny Hurley seems somewhat obsessed with matching his brother Bobby's accomplishments, one of which is winning back to back titles at Duke. I think as far as Danny is concerned it's game on.
And also with his personality as well as AJax's and so many new players there won't be a championship hangover whatsoever.

Reaction Score
I think Hurley and coaches will definitely expect that level and recruits will not have this sugar coated. Our recruiting has been phenomenal and I am pretty sure that they have all been told what they can expect. I am starting to understand why we have had transfers out or why some players weren't getting playing time. Some of the evidence is demonstrated by captains Sanogo and Jackson and their commitment to leading by example and attitude translated by their "in gym" time. How can you expect to get time if they don't follow leadership example. Hurley can point to them and say why don't you ask them about commitment? He can point to highly regarded recruit Hawkins going to summer training with Rip Hamilton for intense off screen shooting and God knows what else. DH and Co are looking for kids who not only want to win but are willing to suit up and show up for it in practice.

I think this is beginning of a new era. A lot of things got "fixed" and going forward lack of effort will not be accepted in this culture as it was not in this or recent years.
Can you imagine a better guy to coach Hawkins than Hamilton? It’s not Ray - Ray had all the gifts for a pro guy. But, Rip - Rip knew just how hard he had to work to make an all star team. If Luke or Mimani get an offer, I’d Lloyd for Rip to be on staff.

Reaction Score
Defending title is very tough. We have not had success and neither have recent champs. Believe Duke is the only champ in last 10+ years to make second weekend the year they are trying to defend. Lots of 1 seeds going down early.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom