The Season after a Title | The Boneyard

The Season after a Title

Reaction Score
I think you all know where I am going with this. It is safe to say UConn has underperformed every season after an NCAA championship. The hangover is real. I hope Hurley uses this as motivation next year.

1999-2000
Preseason Rank: AP #1
End of Season Result: 25-10, 5-seed, L 2nd Round

2004-2005
Preseason Rank: AP #8
End of Season Result: 23-8, 2-seed, L 2nd Round

2011-2012
Preseason Rank: AP #4
End of Season Result: 20-14, 9-seed, L 1st Round

2014-2015
Preseason Rank: AP #17
End of Season Result: 20-15, Missed NCAAs, L 1st Round of NIT

Reaction Score
When I saw extensive footage of some of the preseason practices, it seemed like they were emphasizing speed of play. I was very impressed and I can only imagine that the players were really grinding in practice all year. Seth Greenberg mentioned that the practices this year were over and above what most other schools were doing.

You can't expect that level of intensity year after year. Calhoun frequently talked about the post championship let-down.

That being said, Hurley is not Calhoun and I would imagine that Hurley doesn't wear as much on the players as Jim did.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
When I saw extensive footage of some of the preseason practices, it seemed like they were emphasizing speed of play. I was very impressed and I can only imagine that the players were really grinding in practice all year. Seth Greenberg mentioned that the practices this year were over and above what most other schools were doing.

You can't expect that level of intensity year after year. Calhoun frequently talked about the post championship let-down.

That being said, Hurley is not Calhoun and I would imagine that Hurley doesn't wear as much on the players as Jim did.
I think this entire team and staff came to believe after that midseason slump. Hope DH can keep the coaching staff in tact. I just love the unselfishness and dedication starting with the team captains. I know we have a great recruiting class coming in. I think if they can maintain that "culture" they have developed we may be good for a long time. A lot was learned and to me that bodes very well for the future. I am especially proud of DH who "got things fixed" and with that attitude I think the sky is the limit.

Reaction Score
When you consider the players we lost, and most teams lose after a championship it's not all that surprising. Wasn't the portal back tgen either to help mitigate losses this late in the cycle.
That 2000 team was a 5 seed that was getting its act in order before a Khalid injury in the first round stopped what might have been a Final Four run (if they beat Tennessee they would have gotten into a broken bracket).

Additionally, that 2005 team was looking pretty amazing until a Rashad near death experience really threw them off. Remember, too, that AJ nearly died in the off-season.

In other words: those two years were mostly just bad luck in addition to your point. 2012 and 2015 were different, though.

Reaction Score
That 2000 team was a 5 seed that was getting its act in order before a Khalid injury in the first round stopped what might have been a Final Four run (if they beat Tennessee they would have gotten into a broken bracket).

Additionally, that 2005 team was looking pretty amazing until a Rashad near death experience really threw them off. Remember, too, that AJ nearly died in the off-season.

In other words: those two years were mostly just bad luck in addition to your point. 2012 and 2015 were different, though.
When Khalid( one of my all-time favorites) was out for the first round you just kind of knew it wasn't gonna happen that year.

Reaction Score
The roster construction this season was basically perfect and they did not have a significant injury all year. That's not going to be replicated too often.
In fact, if you want to wonder about something, remember that Johnson, and not Karaban, started at the 4 on opening day. If Samson didn't hurt his foot and hand Alex the starting role immediately, would we have been as good at the end of the season? Would the team have played differently, in a way that didn't lead to this result? No one knows.

Which is why anyone who says "they had a lot of luck" is an idiot. No team wins the tournament without a lot of luck.

Reaction Score
Assuming Adama, Jordan and possibly Jackson will move on, that leaves Donovan and Alex stepping into leadership roles. Both are well-suited and have skill sets that will grow too. All the freshman will be hungry, and the portal should be easy pickings for us.

Reaction Score
The roster construction this season was basically perfect and they did not have a significant injury all year. That's not going to be replicated too often.
It turned out to not be significant, but it is important to remember our opening night starter at PF got hurt game 1 and only played 48 minutes on the season. Round of applause for Karaban.

Reaction Score
When Khalid( one of my all-time favorites) was out for the first round you just kind of knew it wasn't gonna happen that year.

I don't really remember that run at all. I feel like this is the first i'm hearing about that injury. What a bummer!

Reaction Score
You make an excellent point about no significant injury.. Its been awhile.. Gotta believe our SnC coach needs some credit for navigating the season along with our training staff.. They're part of the success of this season..

Reaction Score
On the injury thing. Don’t you feel we’ve been dealt a rough hand for years? I always go back to boat getting injured in the aac finals vs smu. We win we’re in and probably win a game for a young team. Then it was purvis. Brimah. Facey. Jalen. Jalen. Jalen. Purvis. Bouk in the bet. Hawkins twice. Alterique forever. I think our change in s&c has had done play in the improvement. But we were due a period of full roster play. Look at the women. They have gone years with a full team but the last 3 have been genos worst. Paige 2x. Azzi 2-3x. The entire team this year!!!!!

Reaction Score

I believe that Seth said on DP that he (Seth) went to many practices and Danny runs the best in college ball. As others have said, UConn had the perfect combination of skill, desire, team-first mentality, lack of injuries and low-egos as well. That will be hard to duplicate.

Reaction Score
Back then when people suddenly left early and you weren’t sure that year as you were recruiting it was difficult to replace the likes of donyell, Ray, Caron etc.. Add to that the kids interested in coming weren’t sure who was staying and who was leaving. Now not only do you have a better idea, but you have a portal that makes it very impactful immediately. They will have a chance to be very hungry and good no matter next year!

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Winning is hard, you have to have some chip to differentiate yourself

We had that chip this year

And teams that have repeated recently had their stars players returning, both Florida and Dook

During the UCLA run, when they had a bigger payroll than NBA teams according to Bill Walton, youse couldnt leave

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I think you all know where I am going with this. It is safe to say UConn has underperformed every season after an NCAA championship. The hangover is real. I hope Hurley uses this as motivation next year.

1999-2000
Preseason Rank: AP #1
End of Season Result: 25-10, 5-seed, L 2nd Round

2004-2005
Preseason Rank: AP #8
End of Season Result: 23-8, 2-seed, L 2nd Round

2011-2012
Preseason Rank: AP #4
End of Season Result: 20-14, 9-seed, L 1st Round

2014-2015
Preseason Rank: AP #17
End of Season Result: 20-15, Missed NCAAs, L 1st Round of NIT
Doooooomed?

Reaction Score
UNC’s performance this year is a scary example of how things can go sideways even if nearly the entire core returns from a title game run.

Just another data point in favor of not assuming success will follow success.
True but coaching is a big factor. Outside of a three-week run last spring UNC has been very mediocre under Hubert Davis.

Obviously being a UConn fan I'm biased but I'd say Hurley is a significantly better coach than Davis is at this point.

Reaction Score
True but coaching is a big factor. Outside of a three-week run last spring UNC has been very mediocre under Hubert Davis.

Obviously being a UConn fan I'm biased but I'd say Hurley is a significantly better coach than Davis is at this point.
UNC never should have been preseason #1 so expectations for them were way off to start, but completely agree. Davis not getting this team/level of talent into the tournament is coaching malpractice. Hurley is clear cut above him right now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom