The remaining field demonstrates the value of sticking with a coach | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The remaining field demonstrates the value of sticking with a coach

Reaction Score
If every coach put the level of effort and dedication into his/her craft that Champs puts into each and every post, there would be substantially fewer coach firings.

He could have made whatever point he was trying to make with 150 less words.

Reaction Score
If every coach put the level of effort and dedication into his/her craft that Champs puts into each and every post, there would be substantially fewer coach firings.
But every team would be .500 because they’d all have good coaches.

Reaction Score
I invite you to look for yourself. The evidence is pretty much irrefutable. Coaches are constantly adapting, evolving, modifying, consulting, and experimenting. The things that work with one group of players don't with a different one, the recruiting pitches that convert some fail to persuade others, and the philosophies that were progressive when you first started become antiquated by the time you can brag about them. It's the ultimate life simulation because it's so all-encompassing. Coaches don't describe coaches as bad coaches for the same reason therapists don't describe patients as being bad at living.

The thing about coaching a college basketball team is that your employment status at any given time is strongly contingent on pure luck. Variables such as whether your players are good can strongly influence how people feel about you as a coach or even a person. Then there's experience. Coach K is a great coach. He was not a great coach at 25 and hopefully he will not be a great coach at 95. Plausible explanations for this evolution include measures of his authority, diplomacy, emotional state, processing speed, and organization. All of these traits are perpetually in flux and all of them are motivated by our interactions with other people.

Suffice to say, when a coach does not perform to his fullest potential, it's worth re-examining whether the operation at large - which can trickle from the president to the AD to the fans - has played a role in accelerating the demise of its investment. For many of the programs headlining the second weekend of the tournament, resisting the urge to pursue a quick fix during times of uncertainty proved invaluable to maximizing the reach of the team and the school. Loyalty, in their case, did not entail the mindless repetition of erroneous practice. Instead, it induced the painful refinements of systems, allowing the successes of prior years to be re-discovered as easily as the pitfalls were avoided. The caliber of supervision afforded to these coaches yielded a level of stability that is simply not viable at institutions where the coach is unsupported:

Leonard Hamilton - Four straight years without a tournament appearance (2012-16) to the Elite Eight at age 69.

Bruce Weber - Two straight years without a postseason appearance (2014-16) back to the Elite Eight at age 61.

Peter Moser - Finished 10th, 7th, 10th, 6th, 8th, and 5th in his league before breaking through to the Elite Eight at age 49.

Bob Huggins - 30-35 at West Virginia from 2012-14 before righting the ship and taking his program to three sweet sixteens in four years.

Jim Boeheim - Went four straight years without making a tournament game, including missing altogether in 2007 and 2008, before beginning an all-time great run the next year at age 63.

John Beilein - Won only two tournament games in his first five years at Michigan before breaking through in 2013 at age 60.

Matt Painter - Missed the tournament for two straight years from 2012-14 before before punching his second straight sweet sixteen bid this season at age 47.

Jay Wright - Lost 45 games from 2010-13 before losing just 21 over the next five seasons.

Danny Hurley - TBD

If he turns out to be Buzz Williams, I'm OK with that. That's the point. Buzz Williams isn't anything but a good coach at the age of 45. Asking for more can be tricky.

Nice thoughts, but maybe Jay Wright is given too much credit for how few losses he's had in the past five years due to the number and quality of teams that left the Big East before that run of great seasons.

Reaction Score
I invite you to look for yourself.

Peter Moser - Finished 10th, 7th, 10th, 6th, 8th, and 5th in his league before breaking through to the Elite Eight at age 49.
Not a good post top to bottom, but c'mon you couldn't have believed Moser was a good example. Granted Moser's forename is actually Porter, but undoubtedly all schools want a coach previously fired by the Illinois State Redbirds. A coach with minimal success in 7 years with Loyola, and a previous best 5th place conference record in 14 years coaching.

Hey, Porter Moser accomplished that 5th best conference record three times combined at Loyola and Arkansas-Little Rock. On the other hand, a single regular season MVC title going away, good fortune coming from behind in this year's MVC tourney final for his first NCAA bid in 14 seasons and winning the first three games by a combined total of 4 points are certainly compelling reasons for patience.

That said, go Loyola. Hopefully, the Ramblers pull 2 more tricks out of Porter Moser's magical coaching hat.

Reaction Score
It would be disingenuous for me to act like I wasn't trying to bait people into thinking this post was about Ollie, but then again, that was part of my point. People read the post with their mind made up and they brought their own context to a subject that didn't require any of it. I imagine that is one of the obstacles unproven coaches face in the profession and I don't think it's an insignificant one. The first and most important step to being a great coach is to get people to think that you're a great coach. That means you need people who matter to step out on a ledge and reiterate that even when it's not popular. The fact that they didn't - Jim Calhoun being the most notable - in this particular case speaks volumes, but don't let it obscure the vital elements of the operation: communication, trust, accountability. I'd have been fine keeping Ollie if there were reason to believe everybody was on the same page in these three areas. Now that he's gone, the light is going to shine a little brighter on the AD and the infrastructure being put in place. Pulling the plug is hard. Not pulling it can be even harder. I'm not arguing that Ollie was mistreated so much as I am cautioning that it isn't usually this cut-and-dry. Hurley might coach five years here without accomplishing x y and z. It doesn't mean he won't accomplish those things in his next five years.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We can all agree that sticking with a coach can work if said coach doesn't suck.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom