The Power of The 10-0 Run | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Power of The 10-0 Run

Reaction Score
Does anyone else think Duke is an upset candidate against Oral Roberts? If Duke didn’t win in the ACC I’d be sure of it.
Nice. After this study I’m wanting some Oral….to finish the job.

Reaction Score
That is exactly where a team would want to be on the graph as far as winning goes. No shock to see our company there. But I don’t feel like we give up so few runs. So many teams have made big runs against us in games, in part due to DH’s TO management
Please don‘t take this personally, but here is the thing about numerical analyses — they do not care how you feel. Only what has actually happened.

Reaction Score
Sure, the arbitrary nature of defining things is what makes statistics so “fun” lol and like I said, a 15-2 run won’t be included there, which is certainly a killer.
Even this weird point you're trying to make isn't actually true. Some would be included, and some wouldn't be.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The value of sustained runs is two fold.

First it takes the wind out of the opposing team. It demoralizes players.

Second it has an impact on fans. And fans impact players.

A back and forth game doesn’t have this type of impact.

So it’s another aspect of the game to consider and statistical analysis unsurprisingly shows a correlation with success and frequency of having runs.

This is the way! I have spoken!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For those not inclined to click a link and read an article: View attachment 85169
Interesting that Iona is at the upper-right of this plot, a lot of runs both ways. That's not surprising with a high-variance pressing style.

That shows we have to be vigilant, pounce on them when they're down, and stop momentum if they get going in the middle of the game. (No, I'm not wildly concerned about them cutting a 20 point lead to 10 with 3 minutes to go.)

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I think just referencing the last 4 national champions isn't large enough of a sample size to take this statistic too seriously.

Yea Evan acknowledged that and said he’s going to track this going forward.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Guess who is in 99% of the time for our runs?
DC. And you’re here 100% of the time letting us know when something supports your case for playing him more. He should hire you as his agent. You may not be qualified to represent him but you’d work your tail off for him.:cool:

Reaction Score
We are definitely analytics national champs. Shot quality, kill shots, ken pom, etc are all very impressive. I just wish it translated into 2-3 more wins. Here we sit with 8 losses and 4 seed. I like our chances to get to the sweet 16, but it still feels like we underperformed a bit.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
"A 20-0 run leads to a win 91% of the time"

Frankly, I'm stunned that this isn't higher. A team that withstands a 20-0 run wins 1/11 times? I would have guessed closer to 1/100. Wow.
Are you really shocked or or you trying to impress us. Nerd!

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
DC. And you’re here 100% of the time letting us know when something supports your case for playing him more. He should hire you as his agent. You may not be qualified to represent him but you’d work your tail off for him.:cool:

Good thing Hurley decided to play him a bit this year. Don’t want to worry about him transferring!

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
We are definitely analytics national champs. Shot quality, kill shots, ken pom, etc are all very impressive. I just wish it translated into 2-3 more wins. Here we sit with 8 losses and 4 seed. I like our chances to get to the sweet 16, but it still feels like we underperformed a bit.
That’s why it’s not all about metrics. The computers didn’t know what to do with us this year. We broke the system

Reaction Score
We did underperform. If we had won half our games that were up for grabs at the last TV time out -- and you hope a team as good as us would win more than half of them -- we would have had at least 2 more wins and we'd be a 2 seed.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
That’s why it’s not all about metrics. The computers didn’t know what to do with us this year. We broke the system
The metric that fits us for this failure is the luck metric. We have a team of players that play tight in close games or when pressure builds. If these players stop worrying about failing and letting people down they have the capabilities to beat anyone. It’s a case of caring too much.

Reaction Score
Dig deeper to find the reason: 98% of the time a team loses 6 out of 8 games in the middle of a season they get seeded lower than a three..........:rolleyes:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

It's the variance that kills you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom