The Official "I Hate our Recruiting" Thread | The Boneyard

The Official "I Hate our Recruiting" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I see that you skipped over the BGSU and Toledo offers. Toledo finished 9-3 and beat Maine 45-3 (who we squeaked by 24-21). We are not in a position to act all high and mighty with our recruiting.

Besides, if you look at the video you can see he is a very big kid moving downfield and pushing opponents to the ground with his blocks. The fact that he had interest from 15 schools other than UConn, no matter the football reputation, cannot be anything other than a good thing.

I really don't get the need to express the constant negativity (not just you) on a public message board. It cannot help recruiting.

Reaction Score
Funny thing about OL recruiting...former UConn guard Zach Hurd who was a road grader in the run game and probably in the top 5 OL to play for UConn since the upgrade to FBS level of play...was an after thought as a high school recruit.

Reaction Score
Offers from Fordham, Howard, and MVS to name a few Let's not act surprised if/when he gets pushed around by teams in our conference. Maybe he'll work out, but the odds of that happening are slim. Look at what happened with our guys when we played Maine. Football starts at the trenches. We need better talent there, and I don't mean Maine or Howard talent.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Auburn had shown interest in Zach Hurd. With a kid this size, can they transform him from 310 now to a muscular 310 who has the speed and quickness to do his job.

Reaction Score
I see that you skipped over the BGSU and Toledo offers. Toledo finished 9-3 and beat Maine 45-3 (who we squeaked by 24-21). We are not in a position to act all high and mighty with our recruiting.

Besides, if you look at the video you can see he is a very big kid moving downfield and pushing opponents to the ground with his blocks. The fact that he had interest from 15 schools other than UConn, no matter the football reputation, cannot be anything other than a good thing.

I really don't get the need to express the constant negativity (not just you) on a public message board. It cannot help recruiting.

Smh... so because he has 15 offers and his biggest offer is Toledo that's a good thing? No wonder we suck. How can you be ok with how bad the level of talent is in this roster?

Reaction Score
Auburn had shown interest in Zach Hurd. With a kid this size, can they transform him from 310 now to a muscular 310 who has the speed and quickness to do his job.
interest and a scholarship offer are 2 different things. Also Zach Hurd didn't weigh 310 when he came to UConn...he was in the 245 lb range. All of the kids that have committed so far have had "interest" from P-5 programs.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
It doesn't matter at this point who a kid has offers from. We aren't going to land instant add players who can start immediately. What does matter is how they're coached up. At this point, this is where UConn is failing. They failed under GDL and they are failing under Cummings or whoever is in charge of the line right now. The Zach Hurds and Mike Hicks of the world wouldn't be what they were without coaching from Foley and others during the Edsell days.

I'm fine with recruiting lineman with offers from FCS schools. What I'm not ok with is keeping the position coach who has done a horrific job with getting these kids to be what they need to be.

Reaction Score
interest and a scholarship offer are 2 different things. Also Zach Hurd didn't weigh 310 when he came to UConn...he was in the 245 lb range. All of the kids that have committed so far have had "interest" from P-5 programs.
I believe he was offered by Auburn.

Reaction Score
What can you even say

To emphasize only the lower level schools that offer someone is really being a jerk,, don't you think? Would you claim Ham Diallo is less of a recruit if Fairfield and Brown were to leak they offered him tomorrow?

But here is the thing -- I don't like any more than you that his best offers are from the MAC. Why isn't complaining about that good enough for you?

Reaction Score
It doesn't matter at this point who a kid has offers from. We aren't going to land instant add players who can start immediately. What does matter is how they're coached up. At this point, this is where UConn is failing. They failed under GDL and they are failing under Cummings or whoever is in charge of the line right now. The Zach Hurds and Mike Hicks of the world wouldn't be what they were without coaching from Foley and others during the Edsell days.

I'm fine with recruiting lineman with offers from FCS schools. What I'm not ok with is keeping the position coach who has done a horrific job with getting these kids to be what they need to be.
I agree 100% on Cummings...but don't forget that Foley coached the OL after GDL left and then was retained by Diaco. So he isn't innocent in all of this either.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I agree 100% on Cummings...but don't forget that Foley coached the OL after GDL left and then was retained by Diaco. So he isn't innocent in all of this either.
Good point but my overall point remains....UConn needs to fix their coaching issue of the line. They are doing a terrible job. We aren't going to be getting any P5 level recruits anytime soon. So we need to recruit OL players that we can fit to our system. Our system can't be smash mouth football if the staff isn't able to coach the players to be able to do that. Just like the players couldn't do GDL's Zone blocking yet they didn't budge on that game plan either.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
@zls44 This kid probably has more FBS offers than any OL commit Diaco's gotten save DeGeorge, and more than half of the prospects that committed before this weekend. But sure, keep pushing your agenda.

Reaction Score
OL is hard position to rate as a HS senior because kids need to develop and be taught how to play the position. Sure, there are some OL recruits that will obviously be good, but they are few and they are going to the top schools. Plus, you won't know who is good or bad for 3 or 4 years after being recruited as OL should redshirt their first year and if you have a good OL development program, most OL shouldn't start until their RS JR or RS SR years.

If you go back and check out UConn's OL recruits during the Edsall era, most only had offers from UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom