The Official "I Hate our Recruiting" Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Official "I Hate our Recruiting" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Do you not think this "warm body" is a noticeable step up from other "warm bodies"?

I get your complaints, but it seems pretty misplaced to get this worked up over a kid who has a better pedigree than all but one current OL on roster.
How can you tell that? If you haven't noticed the trend with our OL recruits around here is there stock is highest before they step foot on the field. That is completely unacceptable. If we're using our current OL as a standard than we'll be in the basement for the rest of this regime. We can't take raw talent with awful coaching when every week we face a team with more developed talent coupled with superior coaching. That's been the standard around here and that's why we lose.

Reaction Score
Interesting. I remember people on this board raving about the quality of recruits those three were (and remember in each case having guarded optimism, telling a few people that until we actually see them block someone on this level we can't claim they are better than kids who have).

Because some cared as much about the stars that a service gave them as the other offers.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
How can you tell that? If you haven't noticed the trend with our OL recruits around here is there stock is highest before they step foot on the field. That is completely unacceptable. If we're using our current OL as a standard than we'll be in the basement for the rest of this regime. We can't take raw talent with awful coaching when every week we face a team with more developed talent coupled with superior coaching. That's been the standard around here and that's why we lose.

Did you even check to see that this kid had FBS offers than our entire starting OLine on opening night combined? Or was your knee-jerk reaction just "Hurr Durr, Diaco recruited a guy, ergo he's automatically just as bad as everyone else!"?

The whole point is, this is not some kid we beat out Maine and Fordham for. I don't see how improving the talent level on the team works towards "keeping us in the basement". Christ, I swear this whole place has a terminal case of Diaco Madness.

Reaction Score
Welcome James!! Work hard and get ready to build that wall and open holes in the trenches. Help us win that battle! Go Dogs!

Reaction Score
My take is this. Be greatful that a kid wants to play here and treat him with respect. I hope he turns into a huge asset. I wouldn't want to see these comments, but if I did it would just motivate me all the more.

As far as recruiting goes, it's awful hard to compete for kids when the program is on the skids with an HC that is a total bust and an atrocious record. At best we get projects here and off radar kids. The problem is we won't be flexible in bringing in academic projects. We think we are entitled to the cream of the crop but won't get our hands dirty. We think we are entitled to the best but we won't spend to get rid of the worst coach in FCS.

We get what we deserve.

Reaction Score
We need to improve the line play on both sides of the ball. I'd like to see Cummings go because of the end results of the past seasons. We need to get a coach that takes kids and elevates their skills, Cummings hasn't shown that ability. Better coaches, better recruits, better results!

Reaction Score
My take is this. Be greatful that a kid wants to play here and treat him with respect. I hope he turns into a huge asset. I wouldn't want to see these comments, but if I did it would just motivate me all the more.

As far as recruiting goes, it's awful hard to compete for kids when the program is on the skids with an HC that is a total bust and an atrocious record. At best we get projects here and off radar kids. The problem is we won't be flexible in bringing in academic projects. We think we are entitled to the cream of the crop but won't get our hands dirty. We think we are entitled to the best but we won't spend to get rid of the worst coach in FCS.

We get what we deserve.
I agree, I'm glad James choose us and I wish him success. We need to make changes to staff and stop rewarding bad coaches. Someone like Cummings, needs to go based on his coaching responsibilities. Find someone better or continue failing.

Reaction Score
Did you even check to see that this kid had FBS offers than our entire starting OLine on opening night combined? Or was your knee-jerk reaction just "Hurr Durr, Diaco recruited a guy, ergo he's automatically just as bad as everyone else!"?

The whole point is, this is not some kid we beat out Maine and Fordham for. I don't see how improving the talent level on the team works towards "keeping us in the basement". Christ, I swear this whole place has a terminal case of Diaco Madness.
He had offers from Toledo and Bowling Green, a number of SWAC and MEAC programs. We play in the best G5 conference in the country. Our offensive line is the worst in the country coupled with the worst coaching staff in the country.Do you trust this staff to develop this kid? And yeah I have a terminal case of Diaco Madness because he has given this program a terminal disease. You are the dog in the everything's fine fire.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
He had offers from Toledo and Bowling Green, a number of SWAC and MEAC programs. We play in the best G5 conference in the country. Our offensive line is the worst in the country coupled with the worst coaching staff in the country.Do you trust this staff to develop this kid? And yeah I have a terminal case of Diaco Madness because he has given this program a terminal disease. You are the dog in the everything's fine fire.

By your "logic" (if you can call it that), the staff can't be trusted to develop any kid no matter how highly or lowly touted they are.

You can call me whatever you want, but I still find myself a lot more rational than you about this.

Reaction Score
By your "logic" (if you can call it that), the staff can't be trusted to develop any kid no matter how highly or lowly touted they are.

You can call me whatever you want, but I still find myself a lot more rational than you about this.
I think you're biggest gripe is more with what thread this is in rather than what I'm actually saying. Although the bigger disrespect is that the his name is spelled wrong in the title but whatever. Yeah you're 100% correct, I don't believe this staff can develop any body because they can't seem to do anything else well and the results are right in front of our faces each Saturday. I'm just of the opinion that recruiting below are competition coupled with proven coaching malpractice is the recipe for disaster, you know like the season that just happened.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
It 1000% matters where players have offers from.
Are you going to magically make kids with better offers come here? Honestly? It's not happening anytime soon and seeing Diaco is sticking around, all we can hope for is that we get better assistants brought in who will coach these guys up and put them in a scheme that will work.

Look, I am totally on the side of offers matter, etc but at this point of where we are at, I can't see how it's going to change. So I hope that we figure out how to bring in someone new to coach these kids up and hope we can turn some of these players into solid OL.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Not sure if this is possible but can these posts regarding recruiting be moved to a different thread? Maybe the one linked to Matt's article? I feel bad that we are muddying up this young man's moment and thread with our own fighting.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Are you going to magically make kids with better offers come here? Honestly? It's not happening anytime soon and seeing Diaco is sticking around, all we can hope for is that we get better assistants brought in who will coach these guys up and put them in a scheme that will work.

Look, I am totally on the side of offers matter, etc but at this point of where we are at, I can't see how it's going to change. So I hope that we figure out how to bring in someone new to coach these kids up and hope we can turn some of these players into solid OL.

To your first question - no. I want this additional evidence to be used to fire Diaco yesterday.

I am hopeful all these kids turn out well and certainly some will.

Maybe a miracle happens on the stafff but quality coaches have even less reason to sign on with HCVV than quality recruits. So color me... doubtful.

Reaction Score
Based on the logic of some posters, we should only go after kids with numerous P5 offers. Unfortunately, those kids aren't coming here. They haven't shown any interest presently or in the past. Arkeel Newsome is the highest rated recruit to commit to UConn. The reality is we are competing for the underrated recruit. Kids with little to no P5 interest, low FBS and numerous FCS offers. It is what it is. Bring them in, let them compete, coach the out of them, win consistenty with them. Then we can get the 4/5 stars to consider UConn. People also forget that admissions plays a major role in recruiting. The SEC is so much more lenient with admissions and every top recruit thinks he's going pro. They aren't coming to UConn. It's time some people realize that knocking a kid who does commit, doesn't help correct the problem.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Based on the logic of some posters, we should only go after kids with numerous P5 offers. Unfortunately, those kids aren't coming here. They haven't shown any interest presently or in the past. Arkeel Newsome is the highest rated recruit to commit to UConn. The reality is we are competing for the underrated recruit. Kids with little to no P5 interest, low FBS and numerous FCS offers. It is what it is. Bring them in, let them compete, coach the out of them, win consistenty with them. Then we can get the 4/5 stars to consider UConn. People also forget that admissions plays a major role in recruiting. The SEC is so much more lenient with admissions and every top recruit thinks he's going pro. They aren't coming to UConn. It time some people realize that knocking a kid who does commit, doesn't help correct the problem.

Are there levels of football between FCS and P5?

Nobody is knocking kids.

They are knocking the lack of success the staff has and want corrective action.

Unless people think UConn doesn't have more to offer than the schools outrecruiting them. Just come out and say that if you think that's the case though.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not sure if this is possible but can these posts regarding recruiting be moved to a different thread? Maybe the one linked to Matt's article? I feel bad that we are muddying up this young man's moment and thread with our own fighting.

On the bright side if he went to any of those other schools there wouldn't be 70 message board posts in his threads in 4-5 years.

Reaction Score
Are there levels of football between FCS and P5?

Nobody is knocking kids.

They are knocking the lack of success the staff has and want corrective action.

Unless people think UConn doesn't have more to offer than the schools outrecruiting them. Just come out and say that if you think that's the case though.
I want Diaco gone, just like you do. However, I'm realistic about the types of kids UConn can get to commit and it's clear Diaco is going nowhere right now. As I said, it is what it is. If a kid is willing to commit to building something here, I'm willing to give him (them) the chance to help make this program what I hope it can be. It's not his fault this program has regressed. I don't care if he was recruited by Post University to play a Sprint Football, at this point. If Diaco brings in "his guys" and they don't pan out, it solidifies the problem.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Do you not think this "warm body" is a noticeable step up from other "warm bodies"?

I get your complaints, but it seems pretty misplaced to get this worked up over a kid who has a better pedigree than all but one current OL on roster.
Was in no way directed towards this commit - was commenting in general - should have left it out of his thread. I wish him nothing but great success.

Reaction Score
I see that you skipped over the BGSU and Toledo offers. Toledo finished 9-3 and beat Maine 45-3 (who we squeaked by 24-21). We are not in a position to act all high and mighty with our recruiting.

Besides, if you look at the video you can see he is a very big kid moving downfield and pushing opponents to the ground with his blocks. The fact that he had interest from 15 schools other than UConn, no matter the football reputation, cannot be anything other than a good thing.

I really don't get the need to express the constant negativity (not just you) on a public message board. It cannot help recruiting.

Well said, thank you for that breath of fresh air!

Reaction Score
Smh... so because he has 15 offers and his biggest offer is Toledo that's a good thing? No wonder we suck. How can you be ok with how bad the level of talent is in this roster?

As I recall Matt Pert from MA was a two star with no offers. Sounds like he was a diamond in the tough! He is projected to be a high round NFL draft pick.

"His sudden ascent has been one of the most pleasant surprises of the football football season in Massachusetts. Also a captain for the Governors' basketball team, Peart arrived at the school four years ago from The Bronx, N.Y. having never played football before."

Pert entered UConn at 264 pounds, the body of a power forward. He certainly looks like a tackle now.

"What we wanted to do was bring him in so Matt Balis and his [strength and conditioning] staff could develop him, and we've tried to teach him a little football," offensive line coach Mike Cummings said. "You know when you have a good, big athlete. It might sound incredible [gaining 40 pounds]. But based on his size, his frame and so forth, he's a good-looking, lean 300 pounds."

Peart said he's more mobile.

"This summer, passing 300, it was a drill down to get used to moving at this weight and size," Peart said. "They wanted to make sure I put on good weight — muscle instead of a bunch of extra fat hanging around."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom