The Last Time We Lost at a Regional | The Boneyard

The Last Time We Lost at a Regional

Reaction Score
Think about it for a moment because unless I'm totally blanking on something this is hard to believe. For the last 17 years, we've won 2 natties, lost in a Final Four, not made the tournament and lost a few times in the first or second round. What we haven't done since the loss in DC to George friggin Mason in 2006 was lose in a Regional, whether Rd of 16 or Elite Eight. Given how during the 90s that is where our season ended more often than not, just a weird thing.

I do not expect that we are going to break the 17 year streak now. So my contribution to the Mojo will be to not do what I did when we lost to Mason. Which means I won't be at the arena and I will drink during the game. You're all welcome.

Reaction Score
Wait a minute, you didn't drink during the GM game?

So it was your fault.

I don’t drink during a game I am at. I want to be focused on what is happening. Plus, at 64 I don’t want to miss anything going to the men’s room. (Don’t worry though — I do drink at tailgates before the game.)

As for my fault, my older son and I are 0-2 at Regional Finals — the losses to Maryland and Mason. After having gone to MSG to see the win over Iowa State in ‘14, we refrained from going back to see the Regional Final for just that reason.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don’t drink during a game I am at. I want to be focused on what is happening. Plus, at 64 I don’t want to miss anything going to the men’s room. (Don’t worry though — I do drink at tailgates before the game.)

As for my fault, my older son and I are 0-2 at Regional Finals — the losses to Maryland and Mason. After having gone to MSG to see the win over Iowa State in ‘14, we refrained from going back to see the Regional Final for just that reason.
I’m personally 0-3. Saw the loss to UCLA in Oakland, to UNC in Greensboro, and to George Mason in DC. It’s always bothered me we had to play each of those teams in their backyards.

Plus, I’ll throw in saw the women lose to Mississippi State in a F4, six years ago in Dallas. I decided I was bad luck, so I stay home and watch on TV.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score

Thank god you didn’t go to Albany. The bathroom situation was worse than 1950’s Soviet Gulags.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Last rd of 16 loss was in '03 to #1Texas in San Antonio.

Dutch Boyd

A fine place to live
Reaction Score
I’m personally 0-3. Saw the loss to UCLA in Oakland, to UNC in Greensboro, and to George Mason in DC. It’s always bothered me we had to play each of those teams in their backyards.

Plus, I’ll throw in saw the women lose to Mississippi State in a F4, six years ago in Dallas. I decided I was bad luck, so I stay home and watch on TV.
No Vegas for you! Lol

Reaction Score
The GM game is the only one I ever listened to on the radio since I was traveling/driving (ironically through DC). I don't do that anymore, will only watch live or DVR.

Reaction Score
Thank god you didn’t go to Albany. The bathroom situation was worse than 1950’s Soviet Gulags.

Speaking of Albany. I got a slice of pizza from some tent selling food next to the arena, might have been in the top 3 worst slices ever. It was big, looked ok and I was drunk, not being able to get food at pump house since it was a 3 hour wait. Talk about no flavor at all, I think I'd rather have had a Sgt Pepps slice than whatever that was.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Speaking of Albany. I got a slice of pizza from some tent selling food next to the arena, might have been in the top 3 worst slices ever. It was big, looked ok and I was drunk, not being able to get food at pump house since it was a 3 hour wait. Talk about no flavor at all, I think I'd rather have had a Sgt Pepps slice than whatever that was.
I was in and out. Parked, walked in, watched us dismantle Iona, and left. My dad always told me “don’t get drunk in slum-like cities that serve terrible food and smell like crap.”

Hartford is the only exception I make.

Reaction Score

Pizza is non-existent in this area - sad, but true.

Reaction Score
I hate having to play teams in their Home State. Its possible we could get Houston or Texas IF we went as far as final four. Even worse maybe a Xavier team we haven't been able to beat.

Reaction Score
I hate having to play teams in their Home State. Its possible we could get Houston or Texas IF we went as far as final four. Even worse maybe a Xavier team we haven't been able to beat.
Playing Xavier in the final four would be a dream scenario.

Reaction Score
I was in and out. Parked, walked in, watched us dismantle Iona, and left. My dad always told me “don’t get drunk in slum-like cities that serve terrible food and smell like crap.”

Hartford is the only exception I make.

We stayed for a little of Indiana/Miami before leaving to head home. Glad I didnt stay over.

Reaction Score
I’ll tell you what — if you’re giving me a choice, I’m fine declaring us the winner of the West Regional now even if we have to play Houston or Texas in the Final Four.

Reaction Score
If the Basketball Gods said UConn will make the Final Four but they will have to play against a raucous crowd because their opponent will be either Houston or Texas, to that, I pound the table with my fist and say "do it!" like Jim Carrey says "settle... settle, settle, settle" in the movie Liar Liar

Reaction Score
Not the same state but LV has been said to be something of a "Spokane South" for Gonzaga. Their conference championship is there

Reaction Score
Not the same state but LV has been said to be something of a "Spokane South" for Gonzaga. Their conference championship is there
But so is UCLAs conference championship. I have heard the same thing, though, that Gonzaga fans travel really well to Las Vegas. If UConn is fortunate enough to beat Arkansas, they will be the road team in the Elite 8.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure Texas is ours. In 2004 we took San Antonio, in 2011we took Houston, in 2014 we completed the hat trick (10 gallon hat trick) in DFW metroplex.

We shouldn't be worried about playing Texas or Houston in the state of Texas, they need to worry about playing us there.

We've conquered that little piece of land.

Reaction Score
We have a long history of playing NCAA regional games in an opponent's home state.

In '94, we lost to Florida in Florida (Sweet Sixteen)
In '95, we lost to UCLA in California (Elite Eight)
In '98, we lost to North Carolina in North Carolina (Elite Eight)
In '03, we lost to Texas in Texas (Sweet Sixteen)
In '06, we lost to George Mason in Wash, DC. (elite Eight)

Add to that a Sweet Sixteen loss to Mississpppi St in '96 in Lexington. KY, an SEC city.

When you talk about UConn in the NCAA, you're not only talking about four national championships (five final fours) in the last 30 years, but of six advanced bracket eliminations playing in the other team's backyard. Nobody has been doing us any favors.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
We have a long history of playing NCAA regional games in an opponent's home state.

In '94, we lost to Florida in Florida (Sweet Sixteen)
In '95, we lost to UCLA in California (Elite Eight)
In '98, we lost to North Carolina in North Carolina (Elite Eight)
In '03, we lost to Texas in Texas (Sweet Sixteen)
In '06, we lost to George Mason in Wash, DC. (elite Eight)

Add to that a Sweet Sixteen loss to Mississpppi St in '96 in Lexington. KY, an SEC city.

When you talk about UConn in the NCAA, you're not only talking about four national championships (five final fours) in the last 30 years, but of six advanced bracket eliminations playing in the other team's backyard. Nobody has been doing us any favors.
You missed 1992. Ohio St in Cincinnati

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom