The kicking game... | The Boneyard

The kicking game...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Our kicking game isn't very good. Christen has really limited range. Missing that field goal Saturday was huge in my view, and something that has been ignored by most reviews of the game. Here's a guy who is 2/8 from 40 yards plus over his career really 1-5 from 40-49 yards. Look, I get that 46 isn't exactly a chip shot, but it isn't a record setter at this level either. And lacking a consistent kicker from 40 yards is a killer for a team that struggles to move the ball effectively. That means we really have to be inside the 25 to have a reasonable chance at making 3. I'm not saying he should never miss from 55 yards, but if he makes that 46 yarder, the whole complexion of that football game would have changed. And it isn't the first time he has missed in big spots. At this level having a guy who is only 25% from 40 just isn't good enough. And this guy, in his career has made 1 40 yarder and 1 50 yarder. that's it. Might as well go for it on 4th down unless we're well inside the 25. I have to think it is time, beyond time really, to give the job to Puyol.

Reaction Score
He wasn't short either. Had plenty of leg. And I know the grass is . But at some point you just can't knuckle it like that.

Reaction Score
Outside of the Temple game I really think Christen has been an ok college kicker. He's not great, but I see no reason to burn Puyol's redshirt at this point in time.

Reaction Score
I wish he made that kick too...but the kid hadn't missed since the Temple game. Seriously...every single kick.

The least of our problems

Reaction Score
I wish he made that kick too...but the kid hadn't missed since the Temple game. Seriously...every single kick.

Other than it cost us a bowl last year and very well cost us this game. (Yes I know we have other issues as well but if we are going to have high standards for our OL etc we need to have them for the kicker)

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Outside of the Temple game I really think Christen has been an ok college kicker. He's not great, but I see no reason to burn Puyol's redshirt at this point in time.

I think the same way, too. It's hard for me to decide if I should expect more, simply because I was so spoiled by having Teggart for so long...

Reaction Score
I think the same way, too. It's hard for me to decide if I should expect more, simply because I was so spoiled by having Teggart for so long...

That's like saying we shouldn't expect a running game because we were spoiled by Brown, Todman, Dixon, Cauley, etc...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Wagner is way more concerning than Christian to me.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Christian is an okay kicker, just not a clutch one.
We needed that kick Sat. Night and at least one against Temple.

Wagner has been shaky and yes is more toublesome so far this year.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
That's like saying we shouldn't expect a running game because we were spoiled by Brown, Todman, Dixon, Cauley, etc...

No, it's not like saying that. I'm not saying I don't expect a kicking game. I'm saying that I may be expecting a kicking game of the highest quality because we used to have a kicker of the highest quality. There's a big difference in that statement...

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Burning a kicker's redshirt in a year where a winning record is unlikely seems like a terrible idea, no?

Reaction Score
Wagner doesn't seem to be extending his leg this year. Notice how most of his kicks are low line drives rather than booming arcs. I wouldn't be surprised to hear he's nursing a small nagging injury.

Reaction Score
Wagner doesn't seem to be extending his leg this year. Notice how most of his kicks are low line drives rather than booming arcs. I wouldn't be surprised to hear he's nursing a small nagging injury.

You may be right, never thought of that. His hang time and distance is down from last year.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Someone on the radio post game proposed Wagner is hurt.

Looked to me into the wind he tried t keep them low. With the wind he got a couple up in the air and they still weren't good kicks.

Not saying he doesn't have a nagging issue.

Reaction Score

He's 2/8 from beyond the 40. Sorry, that's terrible. He cost us Temple last year and that miss arguably cost us Michigan. Up 10 is way different than up 7. When its 4th 4 at the 25 we don't have a weapon. We pretty much need to go for it, because Christan is probably going to miss. And you know what? I'm really not that worried about saving the redshirt on a kicker. Especially if he can hit from 40 yards and kick the ball off into the endzone consistently. Christen was a stopgap last year to get us to Puyol. Unfortunately he got hurt. It happens. Time to try and upgrade this part of the game too. The guy isn't the weapon we need. No range.

Reaction Score
Here's the thing. With the kicker, it is all on him. And he is a kid. And I understand why people hesitate banging on him, because you can't logically just blame the coaches for him not being able to make long field goals.

I'm not trying to get on his case personally. I'm just saying our kicking game isn't good enough, and it has cost us wins, and may cost us more wins. Because even if he doesn't get on the field, the fact that he may not be able to make a kick (just like when we knew Teggart COULD make kicks) affects play calling and decision making.

Bottom line, it matters.

So I'm a fan of redshirts, especially for kids that need to get size for the positions they play (and buring Puyol's redshirt was regrettable but unavoidable last year). But if Puyol is better at kicking 40+ field goals (and I have no information if he is or isn't potentially better than CC) he should be the kicker. And I know CC is a senior, but if we go 5-7 again this year and Puyol is a great kicker for us next year we may have missed another bowl game. I want to win games.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Based on what we saw from Puyol unless he added a lot of lengths to his kicks I'd be shocked if he was an upgrade right now.

Reaction Score
Based on what we saw from Puyol unless he added a lot of lengths to his kicks I'd be shocked if he was an upgrade right now.

That isn't heartening. I hope he is recruiting kickers then.

Reaction Score
You may be right, never thought of that. His hang time and distance is down from last year.
I think that it is down in the last 2 games. I thought that he was a bright spot in the Towson game

Reaction Score
whaler,
We don't know that, its true. But if we're going with Christen just to protect Puyol's redshirt, or just because he's an upper classman that is a foolish move. In my mind, the 30 yard line is the key. Kickers need to be pretty accurate from the 30 in. Our kicker isn't. He's only good from the 20 (actually about the 22). So in a 4th and 2 situation at the 30, UConn has a pretty tough decision to make. Not sure what the percentages are for gaining 2 yards, but we average 4.5 yards per play this year, but have only a 25% chance of making the 3. In a close game you almost have to go for it. Early in the game you certainly have to go.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I highly doubt they are using Christian to protect Puyol's redshirt. It was the first kick he missed all year.... Were they supposed to make a change on a kicker who hadn't missed?

I think if you sit low in the stadium I don't think you appreciated the wind on Saturday. It was 20 degrees colder in my seats than the concourse and it was a very strong consistent wind the entire game. Even with the wind it's not like it's directly at your back.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This is college football. Kickers miss. Our stadium has got to be one of the most difficult stadiums to kick in between the wind and our inability to grow grass.

Texas A&M missed three extra points in a quarter last week.

Reaction Score
Puyol could barely kick it 40 yards in the air last year. To assume he would be an upgrade right now is pretty silly.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Like what was discussed in another thread, Chad is much more accurate when he is straight on. So when you are playing for an FG in a given series, why do you go wide on 3rd down like we did on Saturday? And like we did against Temple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom