The kicking game... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The kicking game...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Puyol could barely kick it 40 yards in the air last year. To assume he would be an upgrade right now is pretty silly.
Well he did hit his only try and it was from 40. Look if Christen only missed Saturday it would be one thing, but he just doesn't have the range beyond the 40. He didn't last year and he hasn't shown it this year. He has the leg, but not the accuracy, and that is a huge problem, and one that rarely gets better with kickers. If Puyol isn't better after all the hype he got, then it's yet another black mark against this staff.

Reaction Score
I think it is the nature of the position, but for some reason people are not willing to criticize the performance of kickers. Even when Nuzzie was clanging of into oblivion, there was very little call for his replacement. Even when Christen missed 4 against Temple, people who are all over Whitmer and blasted McCombs, are willing to cut him no end of slack. I'm willing to buy the argument that he's the best we have, in which case we need to suck it up and go with him. But that means we also need to be looking for a kicker this year, and it means we need to be thinking a lot more about going for it on 4th down beyond the 20.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Everyone hated Nuzie to the point that people who barely follow the program still bring him up anytime someone misses a kick.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Everyone hated Nuzie to the point that people who barely follow the program still bring him up anytime someone misses a kick.

Nuzie made that 50+yarder to help beat Pitt. Like Chad, he was fine straight-on, not so dependable from the extreme hash.

Reaction Score
Nor from beyond the 40. he simply isn't accurate at that range. I generally assume when a team is on offense that they are trying to make a first down/score except in very limited situations like the final seconds of the half or the game tied or down by a couple...I don't think, actually, I hope it wasn't the case that we ran a play intending to set up a field goal at that point of the game. For what its worth, the angle is much less at 46 yards than it is from 16, as well. The kid has a strong but not particularly accurate leg from beyond the 40. Given that, I agree though that it needs to be part of the strategic thinking that goes into play calling. It also needs to be considered when deciding when to go and when to kick. though I guess on 4th & 15 at the 29 your options are pretty limited. take the 25% chance of a getting 3 or the really low percentage play of getting 15 is pretty much a simple choice. 4th & 4 though it would be interesting to see what the call would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom