The freshmen | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The freshmen

Reaction Score
Great questions. Her injury/recovery might be impacting her play. Who knows for sure. But Ice plays on the low block and then she will come out for the high screen and role/pop/fade. Well, we have not seen the fade yet, but I am sure it will happen at some point. But when she is on the block or in the paint and she gets the ball, she goes to work down low. As for her playing near the foul line and out, her shot is so beautiful that once she gets comfortable, her game is going to open up so much more. I just know that she was crushing those shots at the high school level and that was her bread and butter. She would hit you with a jab step and drive by you or she would pump fake and knock down a mid-range or 3-point shot. Ice has skills in the post and out on the perimeter. Same with the blocking and rebounding. That will come in time as her confidence improves. I can tell that she is in her head out there. She just has to learn to play through mistakes.
In watching ice play imho the game is a little too
Fast for her right now and her confidence has been shaken
Due to the endless series of injuries, she was put into a situation of having to play a major role at the beginning of the season against some of the best teams in the country, some of the best Biggs in the country on the road
She has excellent fundamentals and the athleticism and strength to make major improvement
But will have to learn to play more decisively, and with explosion and that will have to improve in order to be a better post player and rebounder
Right now her comfort level is facing the basket And seems to be able to get her jump shot whenever she wants. Unfortunately, she has not shot it well early and is now reluctant to shoot
For me, I think she’s having a good freshman year, ( I don’t view a player based on what their high school ranking was )playing meaningful minutes
And likely to improve
I

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I'm looking at this year as one of those years when we are saying "Wait till next year." The freshmen will be sophomores with a full years experience and we will be getting some height back along with a couple of power forward freshmen. Having Paige come back will be a bonus. Most of the victories this year will be hard fought and that bodes well for next year.
Didn't we say that last year, and the year before? The one thing I am learning is that the success of our Huskies is like the New England weather. The saying goes, "If you don't like the weather in New England, just wait an hour", or something like that. For the last few years, the future has looked good, only to have our dreams disintegrate right before our eyes. The future does look great, and this summer we all will be speculating on our new starting line-up, just like we have every summer. So, let's just concentrate on this year, as a new cast of characters have emerged to bring some of our mojo back, and who knows, anything can happen, and I think it is our turn to surprise the college basketball world.

Reaction Score
As we close out 2023 with a home win against Marquette thanks in no small part to the impact of our three freshmen it's no fluke, to do so, that that they will be teamed up with three seniors that were pretty darned impactful their freshman season as well.

Here's a quote from Geno after their BE tourney victory over Marquette their freshman season. “These young kids have come in and really, they’ve reinvigorated everyone associated with our program,” he said. “They are just really unique kids and I’m really happy for them. My life doesn’t change that much, winning another championship. But my life was changed (Monday) because I got a chance to see the way they celebrated. That was worth waiting six months for.”

Here's hoping our Husky's have a healthy 2024 and the bus keeps on rolling right up to cutting down the nets on April 7th in Cleveland, and we see Paige, Aaliyah, Nika and Aubrey, along with their younger teammates, having the celebration they came for!

Reaction Score
I’m also a Q fan and agree that the comparison to Aubrey is not all that apt.

Similar in height, but what else? Sure, maybe Q could bulk up to approximate Aubrey’s strength, but can she ‘speed’ up?

And they’re not all that similar in personality, at least as it shows up on the offensive side. Aubrey is a finisher and a reluctant midrange and perimeter shooter. Q is a dynamite perimeter shooter who doesn’t take a lot of midrange shots but seems unafraid to go to the rim either on the break or on an inbounds play. We haven’t seen her slash to the rim in a half court set.

And on defense, it’s hard to find a real similarity. Q will improve, make the right switches, figure out how to disrupt the passing lanes, block more shots with those long arms.

Q is already a clever rebounder and she’ll improve at boxing out, but she may never be the ‘energizer bunny’ Aubrey often is when it comes to rebounding. For one thing, she’s not much of a leaper while Aubrey might as well wear a cape some nights.

When Aubrey is ‘on’ I think opposing teams feel like she is everywhere — blocking their shots, stealing their passes, turning every mistake into a fast break layup — while Q is harder to spot on defense, a subtler presence. She doesn’t present opponents with the “shock and awe” campaign Aubrey does.

I suspect that Q can develop her game in some of these areas, but we will primarily know her as a deadly perimeter shooter who plays subtle but effective defense, sneaks into the paint to steal a rebound from the bigs, and can get out on the break. And we’ll be very pleased with the contribution she makes.

If I were @Carnac (where is he anyway?) I might predict a career average stat line like 14 pts, 50% fgs, 40% on 3s, 4 rebounds, 2.5 assists, 1.5 steals, 2 blocks. A line like this will get her into the W.

Reaction Score
Gotta wonder if past first-years might have shown similar development had they had the opportunity to play many minutes. Likely that players play looser and freer when they figure that mistakes are not going to lose them playing time. So can coaches find a way to "free up" their frosh , not just when players are injured and the coach has no choice? Seems to me that coaches should be able to figure that out. Painful to watch talented recruits, used to playing most minutes in games, wallowing on the bench, given a couple of minutes here and there. Players successfully stepping in, when coaches have no choice, is nothing new in sport .Think of Earl Morrall stepping in for Unitas and Griese. Who?
I can’t think of any players in UConn program who deserved to play and didn’t play as a freshmen. If you can play, you play. If you can’t play, and can’t demonstrate in practice that you can play, you won’t play. This is D1 basketball, nothing is given, everything is earned. The way it should be.

Reaction Score
I can’t think of any players in UConn program who deserved to play and didn’t play as a freshmen. If you can play, you play. If you can’t play, and can’t demonstrate in practice that you can play, you won’t play. This is D1 basketball, nothing is given, everything is earned. The way it should be.
My guess is that Geno recruited these frosh because he thought they could play. If you don't think that lack of so much stress has freed them up, then I can't help you. The fact that KK,Ashlynn, and Quadence have done so well, given real game minutes, throws a bit of water on the "play well in practice" thing that is so often brought up here. It's practice, man!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
My guess is that Geno recruited these frosh because he thought they could play. If you don't think that lack of so much stress has freed them up, then I can't help you. The fact that KK,Ashlynn, and Quadence have done so well, given real game minutes, throws a bit of water on the "play well in practice" thing that is so often brought up here. It's practice, man!
My guess is that Geno has never recruited anyone that he thought couldn't play.

Reaction Score
Update on the frosh after the Marquette game.

Ash scoring 9.8 ppg and shooting 52/34/100.

KK scoring 8.9 ppg and shooting 52/40/65.

Q scoring 6.2 ppg and shooting 47/41/75.

Meanwhile Coach P is scoring 19.2 ppg and shooting 54/50/80. Sensational!
KK has seemed more comfortable shooting the ball. I feel that’s going to be a big key to our offensive success. When she shoots effectively from 3 and gets into the lane, she adds a unique dynamic to this team.

Another key is Shade maintaining a near 40% success rate from 3. She somehow generates the most looks from outside, knocking them down will be important. Her midrange is money.

Q is probably the best shooter of the 3 freshman. I hope she finds more minutes via improvements defensively. She could emerge as a really important piece to the puzzle. Especially if Shade is having an off shooting night.

This class is thriving under pressure. Program is definitely in good hands for the future.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
KK has seemed more comfortable shooting the ball. I feel that’s going to be a big key to our offensive success. When she shoots effectively from 3 and gets into the lane, she adds a unique dynamic to this team.

Another key is Shade maintaining a near 40% success rate from 3. She somehow generates the most looks from outside, knocking them down will be important. Her midrange is money.

Q is probably the best shooter of the 3 freshman. I hope she finds more minutes via improvements defensively. She could emerge as a really important piece to the puzzle. Especially if Shade is having an off shooting night.

This class is thriving under pressure. Program is definitely in good hands for the future.
Ash shoots 76.3% from two point land (29-38)

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score

I don't understand what you are referring to or basing this on. I am not trying to argue with you but of these 3 freshmen, Q, so far, seems to be one dimensional. She appears to be more comfortable being in a corner, or on a wing, and shooting the 3 than being more involved in the motion. But this could be by design too.

Does anyone keep stats on "air balls"? Not trying to be cruel, but just off the top of my head, I think of these three, Q has the most. But she has made for it by her number of makes.

Reaction Score
I don't understand what you are referring to or basing this on. I am not trying to argue with you but of these 3 freshmen, Q, so far, seems to be one dimensional. She appears to be more comfortable being in a corner, or on a wing, and shooting the 3 than being more involved in the motion. But this could be by design too.

Does anyone keep stats on "air balls"? Not trying to be cruel, but just off the top of my head, I think of these three, Q has the most. But she has made for it by her number of makes.And yet Geno said in the post-game that Q has a tremendous upside. He also said that he has to get her more time with the first.

Reaction Score
Q, so far, seems to be one dimensional.
It's true that Geno has told her to set up for corner 3s. In one of her interviews over the summer, Q said exactly this. In this sense, Geno wanted her to focus on one dimension, more or less.

But she seems to have more than this to offer. We've seen her running the floor in transition and getting transition layups, as well as getting a quick score in the lane on an inbounds play. She seems to be pretty crafty around the rim. What she doesn't seem to have is a midrange game, a dribble-stop jumper, floaters, back to the basket post moves, etc. In other words, Geno can develop other dimensions as soon as he has a reason to.

On the defensive side, she also needs to develop a bit, mainly in focus and intensity. She's got quick feet and long arms, which is the foundation. And in the Marquette game, she dove for a couple of loose balls and seemed willing to take up Geno's challenge to crank up the energy. I think we can see that she's not afraid to throw herself into it, and no amount of coaching can supply this if she doesn't already have it. The rest will come in time. And I suspect when he said in the presser yesterday that he wants her to have more practice and playing time, he was signaling that he wants her to develop in these other areas.

Reaction Score
It's true that Geno has told her to set up for corner 3s. In one of her interviews over the summer, Q said exactly this. In this sense, Geno wanted her to focus on one dimension, more or less.

But she seems to have more than this to offer. We've seen her running the floor in transition and getting transition layups, as well as getting a quick score in the lane on an inbounds play. She seems to be pretty crafty around the rim. What she doesn't seem to have is a midrange game, a dribble-stop jumper, floaters, back to the basket post moves, etc. In other words, Geno can develop other dimensions as soon as he has a reason to.

On the defensive side, she also needs to develop a bit, mainly in focus and intensity. She's got quick feet and long arms, which is the foundation. And in the Marquette game, she dove for a couple of loose balls and seemed willing to take up Geno's challenge to crank up the energy. I think we can see that she's not afraid to throw herself into it, and no amount of coaching can supply this if she doesn't already have it. The rest will come in time. And I suspect when he said in the presser yesterday that he wants her to have more practice and playing time, he was signaling that he wants her to develop in these other areas.
I can’t deny your take on Geno’s words. And Q obviously has stuff to work on as do most players, especially the first years.

My sense though was that he felt she was ready now for the first team; maybe split time with Ashlyn was my inference. Geno surprised me as i saw a lot of what you saw. But she is fast, a slasher and built for an up speed game.

It is so interesting to see how Geno is mixing and matching.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
KK, Ashlynn, and Q are playing so well people are forgetting they’re freshmen and showing some impatience with their development. I’m thrilled with how they’re playing. All three have upsides and will be tremendous players by their junior years.

Reaction Score
KK, Ashlynn, and Q are playing so well people are forgetting they’re freshmen and showing some impatience with their development. I’m thrilled with how they’re playing. All three have upsides and will be tremendous players by their junior years.
If you are referring to me, not so. I do have a sense though that they’re timetable may be shorter than you do.

Please allow me my assessment and i will allow you yours.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I agree. We saw Taurasi do it her junior year. Just about single handily dragged the team to an NC. So, don't put it past Paige. To keep this on topic, where would UConn be if these were just average freshmen? Luck for UConn they are "ready to play" freshmen.
Ok, I am now reminded of the quote from "The Man who shot Liberty Valence" where the reporter says "when the legend becomes fact, print the legend". Let's please set the record straight here, Diana's junior year had team that went 37-1 (loss being in the BE Final against Villanova). Diana's junior class was rated #1 with Maria Conlon, Morgan Valley and Ashley Battle-all 4 played a prominent role on the team. they also had the #1 or #2 ranked freshman class of Ann Strother, Barbara Tuner, Willnett Crockett and Nicole Wolff. The team had 9 players average 11 or more minutes (albeit Wolff got hurt after 10 games). Please let's stop with the "Diana and 4 nobodies" narrative. That simply is not true. This team was talented and they won back to back years despite the next year being a bit of a "struggle" at 31-4.

The other fact from Diana's era (20 years ago) is the talent pool and Women's coaching skill was much, much thinner than it is now.

While I truly believe this team is talented, the gap between their talent and all the other top teams is identical whereas in the 2002-03 and 2003-04 teams we clearly had an advantage.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom