The Deion Sanders factor... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Deion Sanders factor...

Reaction Score
There is a classy way to do things and there is a "prime time" way to do things.
I agree. But he is a good marketer. I heard there were 45k at the spring game. UConn had trouble getting half of that during season.

Reaction Score
We're going to find out whether he has the chops because good players don't usually thrive on chaos. Eventually the roster has to settle and he'll own whatever that brings.

Reaction Score
I doubt he succeeds. He might have a quick burst of success. It won’t last. He’s too much of a jerk to get it done long term.

I work with a guy (business partner) that is very successful. He’s a bad listener, he makes a lot of mistakes and he is often unprepared. However, he’s kind and pleasant to be around. Just today, he said, “You know, if you are nice to people and treat them with respect, even if you have some problems, they’ll come back.” It hit me, he’s kind and that’s good enough for most of our customers. I love him, I guess they do too.

Deion isn’t that guy. He’s an arrogant, self absorbed jerk. It won’t work. As the parent of college kids, his comment about his luggage being Louis was just pathetic, especially for a 50 something year old man. Just embarrassing. I’d never support my kid playing for him.

Is Louis any good? Sounds like he plays regardless.

Reaction Score
Have some patience...this is going on at every program. Colorado just had something like 12 players enter the portal yesterday including 2 or 3 of their top WRs as well as their top DB recruit. Think about that for a second...Deion Sanders couldn't keep a top DB recruit committed.
that's because he's bringing in his guys.. and trust, he's recruiting guys just as good if not better than that top DB recruit... Deion is a little different... If anything, he's probably helping a lot of programs level up...

Reaction Score
Have some patience...this is going on at every program. Colorado just had something like 12 players enter the portal yesterday including 2 or 3 of their top WRs as well as their top DB recruit. Think about that for a second...Deion Sanders couldn't keep a top DB recruit committed.
I think it's up to 18. And to add some context to the purge....

Reaction Score
He still has the number one player in the country this year, a CB, and the number one player in the country last year, a CB on the team. He recruited and kept them. He did not lose any top DB he recruited. Maybe a top DB from the team that was 1 and 11, to which he is replacing with much much better players.

Reactions: DCT

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
that's because he's bringing in his guys.. and trust, he's recruiting guys just as good if not better than that top DB recruit... Deion is a little different... If anything, he's probably helping a lot of programs level up...

As Branch Rickey said to Ralph Kiner, "we can finish last without you". Colorado has been an abomination over past 10-15 years.

Even if Deion runs off the whole team and starts with a completely new roster he won't be any worse than what the Buffs have been recently.

Screenshot 2023-04-25 104610.jpg

Reaction Score
As Branch Rickey said to Ralph Kiner, "we can finish last without you". Colorado has been an abomination over past 10-15 years.

Even if Deion runs off the whole team and starts with a completely new roster he won't be any worse than what the Buffs have been recently.

View attachment 87768
Problem is that’s not the goal.. And having 2 top rated corners is nice but there are other critical pieces needed. We’ll see. How much time does Deon get to make the Buffs a legit competitor? With the PAC facing a crisis and at least some B12 folks saying you aren’t high on our expansion list, I’m not sure going 3-9 in a transition year buys him too much. And when you make wholesale changes that is very possible.

Reaction Score

View attachment 87768
Which is scary as hell considering they have a better record over the last 10 years than we do. Ugh.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Problem is that’s not the goal.. And having 2 top rated corners is nice but there are other critical pieces needed. We’ll see. How much time does Deon get to make the Buffs a legit competitor? With the PAC facing a crisis and at least some B12 folks saying you aren’t high on our expansion list, I’m not sure going 3-9 in a transition year buys him too much. And when you make wholesale changes that is very possible.

Last year they were 1-11. 3-9 would be showing progress.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Deion probably gets 3 years at least and this jag is the reason why. For what reason is Deion or U-Col being discussed on a UConn board, 1,900 miles away?

3-9 in year 1 is perfectly acceptable particularly if they go Bowling in year two. Even if they don't, he drives interest outside of Boulder and outside of football.

Reaction Score
I think you underestimate Deion... He's the most precise outspoken HC I've seen as of late, and has proven results of winning... Sure, other established FBS/P5 coaches have a better resume... right now, but, there's something about this guy... Don't think Colorado will be losing for long...

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Heard today on Sirius-XM that the University of Colorado Buffalos have sold out their stadium with season tickets for the first time EVER...
Also had 13 players transfer this week

Reaction Score
Last year they were 1-11. 3-9 would be showing progress.
I think that was the consensus prediction for UConn on the BY last year. The talking heads were saying 1-11.

The big challenge is this year. More realistic schedule, second year in with the system and staff. Best not to backslide.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I think it's up to 18. And to add some context to the purge....

It will be interesting to see if you can basically build a roster of transfers and have them be a successful team from Game 1. LSU's women's team did this and won the Championship. However, that's 5-6 players and you can adapt quicker. We're talking 50-60+ players who have never really played together. Can you put together a roster of top notch transfers and have success. Or, do you need a year or two of cohesion, plus some top rated transfers.

Reaction Score
I think you underestimate Deion... He's the most precise outspoken HC I've seen as of late, and has proven results of winning... Sure, other established FBS/P5 coaches have a better resume... right now, but, there's something about this guy... Don't think Colorado will be losing for long...
My wife is a JSU alum so I watched some of their games. He had far better talent than most of his competition yet, when they got to the HBCU championship game, they came up short both seasons. Something was missing when they met an opponent that pushed back. He's certainly got a dynamic personality, but after selling the HBCU experience to P5 class athletes only to ditch the HBCU as soon as he got a P5 job and then running out most of the existing roster, how much commitment to the program will there be among the band of mercenaries (and yes, I know that question could be asked of many programs but this is the most extreme case)?

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
My wife is a JSU alum so I watched some of their games. He had far better talent than most of his competition yet, when they got to the HBCU championship game, they came up short both seasons. Something was missing when they met an opponent that pushed back. He's certainly got a dynamic personality, but after selling the HBCU experience to P5 class athletes only to ditch the HBCU as soon as he got a P5 job and then running out most of the existing roster, how much commitment to the program will there be among the band of mercenaries (and yes, I know that question could be asked of many programs but this is the most extreme case)?
That was my point earlier....he really is an unknown as a coach. He out-talented teams. That won't be as easy to do in a P5 conference. He may do it...but you can't say the guy has proven he is a good coach.

Reaction Score
That was my point earlier....he really is an unknown as a coach. He out-talented teams. That won't be as easy to do in a P5 conference. He may do it...but you can't say the guy has proven he is a good coach.
Step one in attempting to out-talent teams is getting rid of the marginal talent on the 1-11 team and bringing in a bunch of ringers, which so far he had been pretty successful at in terms of Pac-12 for sure.

Reaction Score
I think that was the consensus prediction for UConn on the BY last year. The talking heads were saying 1-11.

The big challenge is this year. More realistic schedule, second year in with the system and staff. Best not to backslide.

I was starting the woodstove and came across The Courant article after we lost to Ball St last season. That was the big fail last year. I remember in the chat room we were giddy and thought we had it. The team was playing well and we started the second half with a pass attempt that was a pick. This year with another front loaded schedule we are expecting to win. I hope we get top level QB play because we will need it. Last year was easier for Coach Mora than this year will be. Not being terrible is off the table. Being able to beat the higher level teams week after week teams is a tall order. Have to have a solid passing game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom