The Deion Sanders factor... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Deion Sanders factor...

Reaction Score
That was my point earlier....he really is an unknown as a coach. He out-talented teams. That won't be as easy to do in a P5 conference. He may do it...but you can't say the guy has proven he is a good coach.
Fair assessment... but let's revisit this come mid November...I'm a little more bullish on Deion than most.
BTW, if he didn't take the Colorado job I think JSU would've won that 2nd championship game. Focus clearly not there in that game.

Reaction Score
Deion ahead of the Portal curve at JSU, using it to his advantage now. All those kids coming to Boulder will have a message delivered to them that they are part of something special, similar to the Revolution at UConn. Increased talent combined with the cohesion induced by "the message", will take them halfway up the ladadder. To get all the way up it'll take sustained effort and messaging as well as coaching. Step one is Johnnys and Joes, can you do the X's and O's?

Reaction Score
That was my point earlier....he really is an unknown as a coach. He out-talented teams. That won't be as easy to do in a P5 conference. He may do it...but you can't say the guy has proven he is a good coach.
Definitely won't be easy to do in the PAC-12 with Kelly at UCLA and Riley at USC. Hell even Oregon can recruit the same level of talent as those two schools. I want to see how he coaches against Riley and Kelly. To me, that'll show if he has the chops at this level. I don't necessarily think he needs to consistently beat those schools (although that's what he was hired to do), but if he can have Colorado competitive in those games, I think will show he's up to the challenge.

Reaction Score
Dabo, also, is a "cheerleader" sort of coach....hires good assistants. Maybe Deion will follow that mold.

I can't fault Coach Prime's impact for the Buffs...45,000 for the Spring game...sold out season for stadium.

If he can turn the Buff's around some in year three...more power to him.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
"Gray was disappointed. The Aurora, Colo. native’s father, Lamarr Gray, was an outside linebacker on Colorado’s 1990 national championship team. His dream of following in his father’s footsteps was over after just a year on campus."

“Coach Prime just told me up front, ‘We have plans to go another way. You competed. You did everything we wanted you to this spring, and you fought,’” Mack told The Athletic on Monday. “That was my first meeting with Coach Prime since I’ve been here.”

“None of the new coaches would talk to the old players and treat us the same as the people they brought in,” said tight end Zach Courtney, who entered the transfer portal April 19. “The new guys wouldn’t be picked on as much in film. Coaches would tell them to just do better, but if it was an old player, they’d keep going off on what you did wrong and keep yelling about it.”

Reaction Score
I don’t know if he has 20 starters returning though, it just saying 20 returners. Most of their experienced starters are in the portal.

A team only needs a couple of returners. A punt returner and a kick returner. What is Deion thinking?

I know he was an elite punt and kick returner, but really?

Reaction Score
I was starting the woodstove and came across The Courant article after we lost to Ball St last season. That was the big fail last year. I remember in the chat room we were giddy and thought we had it. The team was playing well and we started the second half with a pass attempt that was a pick. This year with another front loaded schedule we are expecting to win. I hope we get top level QB play because we will need it. Last year was easier for Coach Mora than this year will be. Not being terrible is off the table. Being able to beat the higher level teams week after week teams is a tall order. Have to have a solid passing game.
I would think a winning record including at least one signature win should be the goal this year. The bowl game result will have to depend on the opponent. If relatively evenly matched, 7 point spread or less, then throw in a bowl game win onto the objectives list.

Reaction Score
"Gray was disappointed. The Aurora, Colo. native’s father, Lamarr Gray, was an outside linebacker on Colorado’s 1990 national championship team. His dream of following in his father’s footsteps was over after just a year on campus."

“Coach Prime just told me up front, ‘We have plans to go another way. You competed. You did everything we wanted you to this spring, and you fought,’” Mack told The Athletic on Monday. “That was my first meeting with Coach Prime since I’ve been here.”

“None of the new coaches would talk to the old players and treat us the same as the people they brought in,” said tight end Zach Courtney, who entered the transfer portal April 19. “The new guys wouldn’t be picked on as much in film. Coaches would tell them to just do better, but if it was an old player, they’d keep going off on what you did wrong and keep yelling about it.”
Complaining like this and making excuses is probably why they dumped the kid above. Kid has a woe is me mentality.

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see if DS can teach teamwork when his entire existence is based on Me-work.
You have it pretty wrong. I watched a few episodes of his behind the scenes show, Deions public persona and how he coaches and leads the team are very different.

Reaction Score
Deion is more attuned to the NFL methods....you make the cut, or are cut.

The Buffs talent was lacking, ergo, lousy records for years.

He will make a sacrifice of current players to kickstart a moribund program,

I would expect a mix betreen hS recruiting and portal in the future....Norvell, at FSU, was one of the kings of the portal....went to 10 wins off of the portal. Times are changing, good kids transfer.

The Seminoles just finished off a 10-3 season, the school’s first year with double-digit wins since 2016. For much of the season, the Seminoles’ starting lineup included 11 transfers. FSU’s leading passer (Jordan Travis), rusher (Trey Benson), receiver (Johnny Wilson), tackler (Jammie Robinson), interceptor (Greedy Vance) and sack man (Jared Verse) were transfers. Three-fifths of the starting offensive line and half of the starting defensive line were transfers.

Reaction Score
Dieon's first year will be lucky to be 3-9.

The Buffs open with TCU on the road, host USC, at Oregon, at UCLA, at Utah, and host Oregon State....

I count six losses in that group...

That would be a challenging schedule for Mora even with several years in.

Reaction Score
You have it pretty wrong. I watched a few episodes of his behind the scenes show, Deions public persona and how he coaches and leads the team are very different.

I've spent time with Deion. His private persona is totally me focused.

Reaction Score
FSU coaches said that nobody worked harder than Deion...first on field, last off. And he played baseball and ran track.

True...he marketed himself...invented Prime Time...made millions...A smart move for him. But he was also a hard worker....8 time Pro Bowler.

We'll see how he does as a coach...which takes a different skill set than a player....but I'll bet his marketing helps...already has...and where could Colorado go? They were terrible.

By the By...27 players have left FSU from December to now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
including two good kids to Deion...

McLendon II played in all 13 games this past season recording 37 total tackles, five tackles for a loss, and 3.5 sacks.

Gant....
Played in 12 games…recorded 33 tackles, including 1.5 for loss with 1.0 sack, two quarterback hurries, one fumble recovery and one pass breakup…FSU Special Teams Scout Player of the Year…

Reaction Score
Complaining like this and making excuses is probably why they dumped the kid above. Kid has a woe is me mentality.
Irony? No attack @Dizzy21 but you used the word kid twice in this post. Could that not be a dizzy misunderstanding that many college players are still considered kids? Maturity both mentally and physically comes at a different time for all high school and college age groups.
He simply stated that former players were not being treated the same as those brought in by Deion.

I've spent time with Deion. His private persona is totally me focused.
Not hard to believe, his ego is much larger than his jewelry. For many he comes across as Coach Crime. ;)

Reaction Score
Irony? No attack @Dizzy21 but you used the word kid twice in this post. Could that not be a dizzy misunderstanding that many college players are still considered kids? Maturity both mentally and physically comes at a different time for all high school and college age groups.
He simply stated that former players were not being treated the same as those brought in by Deion.

Not hard to believe, his ego is much larger than his jewelry. For many he comes across as Coach Crime. ;)
Note, honestly appreciate the play on words in your response. But kid is used to define that individual's maturity, which that kid clearly lacks. A mature person doesn't blame someone for coming in and making things hard on them as a reason they did not succeed. A man or woman acknowledges that they should have not complained or felt bad for themselves and just worked harder than the rest.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
We are UConn fans complaining about a coach not wanting 1-11 players. Do I have that right? If you can have better talent on your team that is how you win games.

Reaction Score
While he was an and never backed it up, recall the rx when our former coach came in and said we need to clean house and put all his bets on new guys. You act like an you better back it up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom