OT: - The CoVid cooking thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: The CoVid cooking thread

Reaction Score
Old timey Cornbread.
Bleached self rising Cornmeal, Sunflower Brand if you can find it.
White self rising Flower
Milk
Butter

You can make any size dish you want, but best in a cast iron skillett.

3 Pat's butter melted into skillett.
6 parts cornmeal
1 part flour.
Add milk and whisk till its wet through but still tacky, should have to rake out of bowl.
Put in skillet, butter runs to outside, flick butter on top for excess.
Bake 25 to 30 minutes at 365°. 90 secs on broil for old style ovens at end.

This is in an electric oven, if you cook with gas watch it close from 20 to 25 mins, they usually cook hotter.

For a 10 in h skillet, I usually use tablespoons for measurement, you can vary for thickness, just keep the parts 6 to 1.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
My Grandmother's Sunday favorite - A package of large lima beans, soak overnight, next morning cover with fresh water and cook on medium until simmering. Add one cup of black molasses, chunks of ham, pepper, carrots, and about a quarter cup of flour for thickening. Cook at medium low for about four hours. Serve with corn meal muffins. I like to stir a dish of catsup in mine before eating.

Um, wait. Two packages of HB ham in the freezer from new years, molasses in the cabinet from a xmas cookie swap, dry pinto and black eye beans in the cabinet, carrots, pepper, flour, cornmeal, check, check, check, check. And a new cornmeal muffins with sourdough starter recipe ...

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
meatloaf. different recipe every time. just wing it, but don't forget to add onions and garlic. 'kitchen sink' optional, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
During quarantine we are eating a lot more comfort food and saying screw it to the healthy diet we usually try to follow. Meatloaf, lasagna Bolognese, fried chicken, hot dogs, kielbasa, sausage and peppers! - bring it on.

Our usual pizza is shrimp and asparagas, mushroom or marguerita. Tonight it's sausage and pepperoni! I even bought ice cream last week. We never eat ice cream.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
meatloaf. different recipe every time. just wing it, but don't forget to add onions and garlic. 'kitchen sink' optional, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

I once had meatloaf that was a blend of 3 types of meat and was cooked in a smoker. It blew my mind and completely changed my perception of what meatloaf can be. Alas I don't have a smoker so I can't even attempt to recreate it.

Reaction Score
During quarantine we are eating a lot more comfort food and saying screw it to the healthy diet we usually try to follow. Meatloaf, lasagna Bolognese, fried chicken, hot dogs, kielbasa, sausage and peppers! - bring it on.

Our usual pizza is shrimp and asparagas, mushroom or marguerita. Tonight it's sausage and pepperoni! I even bought ice cream last week. We never eat ice cream.

Even cooking more and eating what we want, I have lost weight. I think it's mainly portion size, but I think the chain stuff just packs it on when your busy working and grabbing quick lunches.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Last night I tried making empanadas for the first time. They were okay, but I knew they'd explode if I deep-fried them, so I baked, convection at 450, after brushing liberally with oil. The filling was great, but there was way too much breading (I followed the recipe), and it never did crisp up.

I think I'll try pierogis sometime this week.

Reaction Score
Last night I tried making empanadas for the first time. They were okay, but I knew they'd explode if I deep-fried them, so I baked, convection at 450, after brushing liberally with oil. The filling was great, but there was way too much breading (I followed the recipe), and it never did crisp up.

I think I'll try pierogis sometime this week.

I think that is nearly 100 degrees too hot on convection. Most recipes for anything like an empanada is about 375° conventional.

It's all about that heat!

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I think that is nearly 100 degrees too hot on convection. Most recipes for anything like an empanada is about 375° conventional.

It's all about that heat!

Hmm -- the recipe I was following had 375 in oil, so I thought more heat and the air movement would crisp up the outside better.

Thanks for the tip.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

Add finely chopped green peppers and add worcestershire sauce or bbq sauce.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Meatloaf recipes remind me of Navy galley meatloaf. Always a surprise in the middle anything from boiled eggs to a hotdog. :eek:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
My favorite meatloaf recipe is from the Mushroom Cookery cookbook (from the 40's or 50's, found it in a used book store a couple of decades ago). It's got ground beef, grated mushrooms and onion, and herbs.

Unfortunately, the daughter doesn't like meat loaf or cooked mushrooms.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
We've been cooking and overeating all Winter, worse now (the overeating) now that we're stuck inside.

One recipe that is veggi, reasonable calories, easy (a must for Corona times) and delish...is a black bean (cans) and red peppers
based dish...the small amount of Orange juice and zest really adds
We used Chinese Sichuan pepper instead of ancho and I used 2 cans of beans rather than three and reduced everything by a third...The spicing is accurate, measure carefully, ...highly recommended.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, the daughter doesn't like meat loaf or cooked mushrooms.

Sounds like you need one of those signs in the kitchen that says something along the lines of: "You have two choices for dinner, take it or leave it." :rolleyes:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Meatloaf recipes remind me of Navy galley meatloaf. Always a surprise in the middle anything from boiled eggs to a hotdog. :eek:

taking notes.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom