OT: - The CoVid cooking thread | The Boneyard

OT: The CoVid cooking thread

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
There's been a lot written about people cooking during the social distancing and restaurant closures. Some are having to learn to cook, some are upping their games, some are just plain resentful that they need to do it.

So share your stories. All is good, from dressing up a mix, making your first batch of homemade mac and cheese, burgoo, or making a complex new recipe for the first time.

As some of you may know, I'm really into cooking. But I'm a bit out of my comfort zone now: I'm used to shopping every day on the way home from work, So, lots of fresh ingredients.

I was initially excited, and the first week at home, I actually made momos (Nepalese dumplings) on a weekday. Since then, not too much exciting. Chili twice -- it's a staple in our house; the three of us will have it once, then the daughter every day till it's gone. I just got in an ounce (!) of saffron, so it will be paella tonight.

I need to look in the food section today. Tomorrow is a shopping day, so a good day to try something new.

Enjoy!

Reaction Score
Something you can do without fresh is BBQ baked beans. Your choice of meat, sausage, ground beef, pork, or chicken. I like using link sausage, cut it up in bite size chunks. Fry it lightly, just a little char, add to baking dish, add beans, barbeque, light brown sugar, little salt and pepper and onions, (can use minced). Bake for a couple hours.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Chili twice -- it's a staple in our house; the three of us will have it once, then the daughter every day till it's gone.

Leftovers make the world go round. I'll make a batch of chili in the crock pot and it lasts me a week.

Tacos tonight. The key for me is sauteed onions, bell peppers and jalapenos. That and heating up the shell a bit to get it crispy and melt the cheese

Reaction Score
I had a couple of lbs of skinless,boneless chicken thighs in the freezer and I had a yearning for Chicken Paprika. I had all the ingredients, I thought but lack a can or two of tomato sauce. Had Progresso tomato soup but not enough. Found a jar of salsa in fridge added that. Was delish. Who’d a thot?

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Since we normally eat out only a few times a month not much has changed. We both typically enjoy cooking and we alternate between chef and sous chef. Meals range from complicated, to simple or to an evening of grazing when we both are feeling lazy.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
If anyone has a good recipe for fried sardines... feel free to share.

Reaction Score
If anyone has a good recipe for fried sardines... feel free to share.

Eat well Sardines, tall can.

1/4 cup meal
1/4 cup flour
2 tablespoons mayo
1 egg
1/4 cup onions, finely chopped.

Drain, mash with fork, add everything else and make patties and fry on medium heat till brown.

Grandma's recipe. Works for salmon also.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Triad, you'll get a kick out of this.

There was a contestant on Jeopardy tonight who's a Duke alumna. Her little tidbit was that she ran a race that consisted of a two mile out, eating a dozen Krispy Kreme doughnuts, then two miles back.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Wow, hope he exercises.
I don't know if he exercises, but he damn sure teases us. There is a heavy dose joshing in that recipe. ;)

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score

There was a contestant on Jeopardy tonight who's a Duke alumna. Her little tidbit was that she ran a race that consisted of a two mile out, eating a dozen Krispy Kreme doughnuts, then two miles back.
I would run the two miles out to get the Krispy Kremes, but I would have to walk back. :oops:

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Bread - yes, I succumbed to the QuaranPressure and have started making sourdough boules. I had some starter from a friend, deeply sleeping in the back of the fridge, and decided to give it a try. Experimenting with different flours has been fun, and it's better than buying bread. Also have discovered what to do with excess starter so that I'm not throwing it away every time I feed it. (biscuits, crackers, banana bread)

Plant based - been trying to get the hub to do a "meatless monday" type of thing and we've made a few bean/lentil type dishes. Also a good backup if some of our protein staples are tough to find as we're trying not to go out shopping too much.

Quick pickling more veggies than normal so they don't go bad, and end up with tasty snacks at lunch.

Eggs - who doesn't like a 24 pack from Costo? LOL. Been steaming small batches and then using them in salads, sandwiches, or for a quick breffie.

Our goal with new recipes is to really try to use as much as possible from the pantry before buying anything. We've seen some really weird hoarding in FL, so you never know what you will find in the stores.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Special recipes - not really. Got the grill for steaks, burgers, hot Italian sausage patties and chicken. Got the smoker for ribs and briskets. We also like to make nachos and our own pizzas. Monday night we did date night at the restaurant (the house). Started with crackers and cheese on the lanai. Popped a couple of bottles of wine. Filet minion, bake potato with butter, fresh corn on the cob and a salad was the main course. We got dressed up, Florida casual.

Wife made her fantastic spaghetti sauce with homemade meatballs, hot Italian sausage and green peppers. She made enough for leftovers.

And we have our favorite restaurants for curbside pickup or delivery. Tonight was a prime rib meal. Last week we got ribs from the same place. Great fries and fantastic coleslaw. The restaurant in the community has its "grab and go" menu. Some realy good meals at reasonable prices. And only a 10 minute golf cart ride from the house. Then we have a great family owned Italian resturant that delivers. Fantastic linguine with red clam sauce!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Bread - yes, I succumbed to the QuaranPressure and have started making sourdough boules. I had some starter from a friend, deeply sleeping in the back of the fridge, and decided to give it a try. Experimenting with different flours has been fun, and it's better than buying bread. Also have discovered what to do with excess starter so that I'm not throwing it away every time I feed it. (biscuits, crackers, banana bread)

Plant based - been trying to get the hub to do a "meatless monday" type of thing and we've made a few bean/lentil type dishes. Also a good backup if some of our protein staples are tough to find as we're trying not to go out shopping too much.

Quick pickling more veggies than normal so they don't go bad, and end up with tasty snacks at lunch.

Eggs - who doesn't like a 24 pack from Costo? LOL. Been steaming small batches and then using them in salads, sandwiches, or for a quick breffie.

Our goal with new recipes is to really try to use as much as possible from the pantry before buying anything. We've seen some really weird hoarding in FL, so you never know what you will find in the stores.

You're not kidding when you state that there is really strange hording going on in Florida. The latest in our area is frozen pizza! Go figure. Last week when I went to Publix, everything was well stocked except paper towels and toilet paper. Still can't figure that one out.

Reaction Score
You're not kidding when you state that there is really strange hording going on in Florida. The latest in our area is frozen pizza! Go figure. Last week when I went to Publix, everything was well stocked except paper towels and toilet paper. Still can't figure that one out.

Mississippi has been crazy, if you don't buy meal, flour, and most all baking supplies if you see it, the next time it is wiped out. Saw a run on frozen pizzas a couple times, everything but the little store brand ones.

Ground beef is almost non existent, if you find it, $5.29 to $5.99 lb.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score

Mid-March, had to do some "regular" shopping after being away for a few days. Sunday morning - no paper products, flour, sugar, rice, dry beans, meats, sanitizer, hand soap. Kids were headed on spring break, and there wasn't much talk of sheltering at home, so it was weird. My Publix is a smaller one, but it's interesting to see what's still out, what's been restocked, what's sporadic. We've been collaborating with our daughter for items based on who's going to what store when.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Yes...the Annual Krispy Kreme Challenge organized by students at NC State... raises money for the NC Children's Hospital

5 miles 12 doughnuts 1 hour. They do have trash cans along the route :eek:

Krispy Kreme Challenge

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Mid-March, had to do some "regular" shopping after being away for a few days. Sunday morning - no paper products, flour, sugar, rice, dry beans, meats, sanitizer, hand soap. Kids were headed on spring break, and there wasn't much talk of sheltering at home, so it was weird. My Publix is a smaller one, but it's interesting to see what's still out, what's been restocked, what's sporadic. We've been collaborating with our daughter for items based on who's going to what store when.

Know exactly what you mean. We have 3 Publixs within 15 minutes of us, one of them is huge and opened up about 3 months ago. Really nice store. When our community shut down everything, around March 16th, the entire area went nuts!!!!!! Went to Publix and there was nothing and I mean nothing. The entire meat area was barren. Dairy products like milk - gone. Paper products - forget it. Pasta sauces gone, pasta gone, rices gone, all sorts of canned goods gone. Absolutely no bread at all. Last week everything seemed back to normal, except paper towels and Tyler Phommachanh. That includes the two other Publix near us.

The wife went up to Target on Monday to pick up a couple of bags of Utz potato chips - they can stay open because they have groceries! Go figure. Anyway she texts me she hit the Mother Lode. In the cart was a 12 pack of paper towels and a 20 pack of Tyler Phommachanh! Figure we're good for a few months.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
There's been a lot written about people cooking during the social distancing and restaurant closures. Some are having to learn to cook, some are upping their games, some are just plain resentful that they need to do it.
Most recent new recipe we tried which is very tasty. We will have it again soon.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Pretty extreme training for a Waitress career. ;););)

Reaction Score
My Grandmother's Sunday favorite - A package of large lima beans, soak overnight, next morning cover with fresh water and cook on medium until simmering. Add one cup of black molasses, chunks of ham, pepper, carrots, and about a quarter cup of flour for thickening. Cook at medium low for about four hours. Serve with corn meal muffins. I like to stir a dish of catsup in mine before eating.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom