The Best Group of Guards Ever? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The Best Group of Guards Ever?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
We have chemistry continuity and experience in last years lineup. We need to establish that this season and work everybody else into the lineup. We have a tuff schedule early this season and I believe Geno will want to see this team play as a well oiled unit. Will Azzi start? Possibly but may not early on...until she can flow with the team chemistry. With that said I expect Azzi to see alot of minutes and more then any other freshman and most other team mates. As great as she is UConn can not afford to not play her and have her ready as soon as possible. She is a difference maker and IMO the nut that will help get us to many NCs.

Reaction Score
You can make this type of comment on YouTube including all the bad grammar, but it isn't going to work here at the BY. When you say "Paige has yet to shown (sic) me that even her hc has said she needs to improve defensively. Her defense was abysmal in that Arizona game, she makes no effort aside swiping (sic) to take the ball,at (sic) a defender" it just shows you have no idea what you are talking about. That's a beat up clunker you aren't going to sell here.
I agree with you, but go easy... Too many (sic's).

Reaction Score
Just a few.
:eek:The injury to Anna didn't have anything to do with it?
:eek:The failure of Aubrey to retain a starting position after Aubrey was put in the starting lineup to replace Anna didn't have anything to do with it?
:eek:The failure of Aaliyah to retain a starting position after she was placed in the starting lineup to replace Aubrey didn't have anything to do with it?
:eek:Did Geno have any other healthy scholarship guards available to him after Anna was injured that were not already starters?
:eek: Why was Nika a healthy DNP for the TN game?
:eek: Why do you think Geno waited until the start of conference play to start Nika against one of the weakest teams on UCONN schedule?
:eek: What happened on the last possession of the UCONN season?
All evidence would suggest that Geno does not share your opinion of Nika and why he 'started' her. Contrary to your inference that Geno tried every other option, looked down to the end of the bench and begrudgingly called Nika's number because he had no other options - he in fact has stated more than once that 'it was a different team with Nika on the floor', 'a better team'. As suggested by others she earned her playing time last year. Geno didn't have to start her, he chose to start her!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Just a few.
:eek:The injury to Anna didn't have anything to do with it?
:eek:The failure of Aubrey to retain a starting position after Aubrey was put in the starting lineup to replace Anna didn't have anything to do with it?
:eek:The failure of Aaliyah to retain a starting position after she was placed in the starting lineup to replace Aubrey didn't have anything to do with it?
:eek:Did Geno have any other healthy scholarship guards available to him after Anna was injured that were not already starters?
:eek: Why was Nika a healthy DNP for the TN game?
:eek: Why do you think Geno waited until the start of conference play to start Nika against one of the weakest teams on UCONN schedule?
:eek: What happened on the last possession of the UCONN season?
So Aubrey & Aaliyah failed to retain their starting positions, and I guess Anna failed to regain hers when she was back healthy? I guess some people who completely underestimated Nika’s ability will go to extraordinary lengths to rationalize their mistake. Nika earned the starting spot.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Table using Efficiency stats.

I have included both Total (green) and Average (orange) due to lesser number of games played last season.

Last season Paige & Christyn (36.5) are second behind only Sue & Dee in 2001-02 (37.4).

Last season was the best Top 3 & Top 4 and we return all plus add Azzi.

View attachment 69852
Thank you for presenting some hard data in support of the premise outlined in the OP. I admire your ambition.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So Aubrey & Aaliyah failed to retain their starting positions, and I guess Anna failed to regain hers when she was back healthy? I guess some people who completely underestimated Nika’s ability will go to extraordinary lengths to rationalize their mistake. Nika earned the starting spot.
Just one more question.
When was Anna back fully healthy?

Reaction Score
What is the meaning of Top 3, Top 4 and why are they higher and in particular much higher in 2021 ???

My guess was Top 2 was top 2 guard stats averaged (Paige / CW) , Top 3 adds Evina and Top 4 adds Nika? But that does not make sense regarding the numbers? :confused::confused:
For each season I have listed the players 1 thru 4.

Top 2 = Per Game Efficiency of Player 1 + 2
Top 3 = Per Game Efficiency of Player 1 + 2 + 3
Top 4 = Per Game Efficiency of Player 1 + 2 + 3 + 4

So for 2020-21
Top 2 = 36.5 (Bueckers 22.7 + Williams 13.8)
Top 3 = 50.9 (Top 2 of 36.5 + Westbrook 14.4)
Top 4 = 58.5 (Top 3 of 50.9 + Muhl 7.6)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
All evidence would suggest that Geno does not share your opinion of Nika and why he 'started' her. Contrary to your inference that Geno tried every other option, looked down to the end of the bench and begrudgingly called Nika's number because he had no other options - he in fact has stated more than once that 'it was a different team with Nika on the floor', 'a better team'. As suggested by others she earned her playing time last year. Geno didn't have to start her, he chose to start her!
:eek: Shocking that Geno does not share my opinion.
Geno has been know to speak in hyperbole and he never said they were a better team with Nika. Geno full quote was:

Since she has been in the starting lineup, there has been an incredible change in the look and feel of our team. How aggressive she is on defense. How hard she competes. How difficult she makes it for opposing point guards with her tenacity and grit. Then you throw in that she has become someone you have to guard on the 3-point line, because she is going to make just enough of them to make you disappointed you didn’t guard her. And she has a little bit of an attitude. She has a little bit of an edge. I’ve never seen a great player that didn’t have it. She has it, and I love that about her.”

Good effort to try and grow the legend of Nika-hype on.

Reaction Score
I respectfully disagree. In HS Paige was not a good on ball defender, but once she got to UConn, she made a commitment to play solid defense, probably so that Geno would have one less thing to complain about.

Paige moves her feet and gets her hands up well. As I have remarked in other posts, Paige’s commitment to play solid defense was the most surprising element of her game at UConn.
Have to understand your definition of "solid defense" before I can agree. Mo Jeff was a great defender. Nurse was a good defender. To many, a "solid defender" is someone who can shut down the opposition. Paige does a good job playing lanes but her one on one defensive skills are still growing. While I view Paige as one of the best overall players in women's basketball, on a team that typically plays man to man, defense is not her strength.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
For each season I have listed the players 1 thru 4.

Top 2 = Per Game Efficiency of Player 1 + 2
Top 3 = Per Game Efficiency of Player 1 + 2 + 3
Top 4 = Per Game Efficiency of Player 1 + 2 + 3 + 4

So for 2020-21
Top 2 = 36.5 (Bueckers 22.7 + Williams 13.8)
Top 3 = 50.9 (Top 2 of 36.5 + Westbrook 14.4)
Top 4 = 58.5 (Top 3 of 50.9 + Muhl 7.6)
Thanks for the explanation. Did not think it was additive. Interesting that Evina's level is slightly higher than CW.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
And was never fully healthy
So you’re a doctor now?

UConn has a history of working players back into the starting lineup for the conference & NCAA tournaments coming back from injury: Tuck’s micro fractures, Gabby’s migraines, Kia’s high ankle sprain, Lou’s ankle injuries (twice), Crystal’s shin splints.

None of them were fully healthy either. Perhaps in this instance, Geno had a better option in Nika who had earned the right to start over a number of players including Aaliyah, Aubrey & Anna.

Reaction Score
Table using Efficiency stats.

I have included both Total (green) and Average (orange) due to lesser number of games played last season.

Last season Paige & Christyn (36.5) are second behind only Sue & Dee in 2001-02 (37.4).

Last season was the best Top 3 & Top 4 and we return all plus add Azzi.

View attachment 69852
This season there may have to be a Top six. No one can argue against the guard depth being the best in the team’s history by far.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So you’re a doctor now?

UConn has a history of working players back into the starting lineup for the conference & NCAA tournaments coming back from injury: Tuck’s micro fractures, Gabby’s migraines, Kia’s high ankle sprain, Lou’s ankle injuries (twice), Crystal’s shin splints.

None of them were fully healthy either. Perhaps in this instance, Geno had a better option in Nika who had earned the right to start over a number of players including Aaliyah, Aubrey & Anna.
:eek: No I'm not a doctor why do you ask?
Keep inflating -Nika earned the right to start over Anna?
Tuck Gabby KLS were all American players. As much as you want to pump her up, Nika was not even among the best freshman in the BE conference last year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Have to understand your definition of "solid defense" before I can agree. Mo Jeff was a great defender. Nurse was a good defender. To many, a "solid defender" is someone who can shut down the opposition. Paige does a good job playing lanes but her one on one defensive skills are still growing. While I view Paige as one of the best overall players in women's basketball, on a team that typically plays man to man, defense is not her strength.
Let’s start with the basics. Paige stays in front of the player she’s guarding by moving her feet and keeping her hands up. That doesn’t make her a great defender, but it does allow everyone else to worry about their man without having to help out if Paige allows her man to go by her.

Then there’s effort. I will readily admit that Paige took defensive possessions off in HS. I did not see her do so one single time this past season.

Paige is also pretty good at closing out shooters from the arc. She’s long and athletic enough to disrupt a shooter’s rhythm.

Finally, her court awareness is tremendous. Her team leading 66 steals, many of which resulted in easy baskets, originate with an instinctive recognition of likely passing lanes for a player with the ball who’s either in trouble or not paying attention.

With that said, I think Paige has considerable room for improvement. She is not a great defender, yet. Neither were Mo & Kia as freshmen. But the potential is certainly there for Paige to become a great defender.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Nika was not even among the best freshman in the BE conference last year.
And yet, Nika started over Aaliyah, Aubrey & Anna. Here’s a novel idea. Stop bashing UConn players for whatever perceived shortcomings you observe. Try celebrating all of these remarkable young ladies, none of whom are perfect.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Let’s start with the basics. Paige stays in front of the player she’s guarding by moving her feet and keeping her hands up. That doesn’t make her a great defender, but it does allow everyone else to worry about their man without having to help out if Paige allows her man to go by her.

Then there’s effort. I will readily admit that Paige took defensive possessions off in HS. I did not see her do so one single time this past season.

Paige is also pretty good at closing out shooters from the arc. She’s long and athletic enough to disrupt a shooter’s rhythm.

Finally, her court awareness is tremendous. Her team leading 66 steals, many of which resulted in easy baskets, originate with an instinctive recognition of likely passing lanes for a player with the ball who’s either in trouble or not paying attention.

With that said, I think Paige has considerable room for improvement. She is not a great defender, yet. Neither were Mo & Kia as freshmen. But the potential is certainly there for Paige to become a great defender.

I particularly agree with Paige keeping her hands up on defense. She is among the most consistent at doing that on the team.

Do not necessarily agree she always can stay in front quicker guards but she anticipates pretty well. Might have issues with some big guards physically but not sure we have a good sample size. Not that many physical guards like CW around.

Reaction Score

I have said this before. Paige is a great defender off the ball because she understands the concept of passing lanes. I believe every single steal last season was intercepting a pass. Nika is a tenacious defender on the ball; almost all of her steals came against the dribble.

Reaction Score
:eek: Shocking that Geno does not share my opinion.
Geno has been know to speak in hyperbole and he never said they were a better team with Nika. Geno full quote was:

Since she has been in the starting lineup, there has been an incredible change in the look and feel of our team. How aggressive she is on defense. How hard she competes. How difficult she makes it for opposing point guards with her tenacity and grit. Then you throw in that she has become someone you have to guard on the 3-point line, because she is going to make just enough of them to make you disappointed you didn’t guard her. And she has a little bit of an attitude. She has a little bit of an edge. I’ve never seen a great player that didn’t have it. She has it, and I love that about her.”

Good effort to try and grow the legend of Nika-hype on.

You may be correct that Geno didn't say say the words "they were a better team with Nika", but in reading the quote you have shown, it certainly lends itself to be interpreted as the team is better with Nika out there ( my assertion) than that he had no better option (your assertion). It has been quite apparent (judging from your posts on her) since preseason last year that you don't value Nika Muhl and didn't see her as a significant piece in UCONN's success this past season or going forward. Over that same timeframe I and others on the Boneyard anticipated that she would be, feel she has been and believe she will continue to be a significant piece. No one has said they believe she is the best or most important player on the team so why you make comments like "Good effort to try and grow the legend of Nika-hype on." is beyond my ability to understand. Why so much animosity towards one of our players. Geno obviously values her as do those who have spoken positively about her. Your negative read on her imo is not going to dissuade any of the posters or Geno into believing Nika is not a valuable member of the Team.

Reaction Score
Agreed 100% Paige still has a lot of trouble when a player makes a move they blow by her cause she's just not fast enough to keep up. She also has shown to get outmuscled as included in some of those arz highlights. Again I don't think anything we've said is breaking news but one certain user had to insult my grammar cause of autocorrect

Reaction Score
All the UCONN guards have the ability the break down a defender but keep in mind that from the very first practice until they graduate and are playing on the olympic team this is something Geno actively tries to coach out of his players. The UCONN offense minimizes the dribble and prefers to advance the ball by passing. There are entire no dribble drills in just about every UCONN practice. and shoot around.
You certainly have got that right , about Geno discouraging "breaking down defenders". And it shows up very clearly at the next level, where UConn players appear to struggle with the dribble drive. It has become a big part of the game, and I have thought for awhile that UConn players are not well prepared to do the "one-on-one" stuff. Of course, I don't think Geno thinks that his job is to get them best prepared for the next level.

Reaction Score
Walt Frazier and Earl “The Pearl” Monroe.
Oh , woman’s college basketball?
Just as easy....

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
You certainly have got that right , about Geno discouraging "breaking down defenders". And it shows up very clearly at the next level, where UConn players appear to struggle with the dribble drive. It has become a big part of the game, and I have thought for awhile that UConn players are not well prepared to do the "one-on-one" stuff. Of course, I don't think Geno thinks that his job is to get them best prepared for the next level.
I think Geno does not mind the right players going 1-1 and breaking down a defense if the time on the shot clock is right and the player knows how to read the help defense.

Paige has broken down alot of defenses 1-1 and almost always does it at the perfect time. Crystal and Moriah also have done their share and have shown it at the next level (if Moriah is ever healthy). CW is probably an enigma since she has the moves but often does it against multiple defenders

I do think the forwards/wings have that issue more in our system. and I guess it boils down to our players really not liking to take risky shots like other team players who seem to have no issue making mostly wild shots and letting their teammates go after O Boards

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom