The Best Group of Guards Ever? | The Boneyard

The Best Group of Guards Ever?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
UConn WBB has a long history of outstanding backcourts. But I cannot recall a team with a deeper and more talented group of guards than the current one. UConn has 4 of the last 5 guards rated tops in their HS class. The only exception is Jordan Horston at TN. Add in Nika, one of the toughest and most tenacious players on the team, and UConn legitimately goes 5 deep this season at guard. Pending how Caroline & Saylor develop, that number could grow.

UConn’s guards have size, they can all play defense, and they can all knock down 3’s. At least 4 can run the offense (Paige, Evina, Nika & Azzi). There are several definitions of what a “combo guard” is. A simple definition might be that a combo guard is a pg that doesn’t have to play pg, because they have the luxury of playing with another pg. So, UConn has 4 combo guards.

Paige, Evina, Christyn & Azzi can all break down their defender off the dribble and hunt their own shot, pulling up for a midrange jumper or taking the ball all the way to the basket. The fact that UConn has so many players who can shoot it, pass it or attack the basket puts tremendous pressure on opposing defenses.

I know that many BY’ers justifiably believe that UConn’s starting lineup will include 2 of the following 3 players: Liv, Aaliyah or Dorka. Whether or not that’s the case remains to be seen. UConn went with a 4-guard lineup for much of this past season, and Geno will likely try out a 4-guard lineup in some fashion this coming season to spread the floor, move the ball and force opposing teams to make difficult choices on who to guard and who to leave open.

When the ball is moving and the shots are falling, UConn will put up a lot of points. Can any team in the country outscore the Huskies? MD? Stanford? We’ll see. One thing is for sure. Opposing coaches will face a significant challenge trying to figure out how to defend a UConn team with Paige, Christyn, Evina, Nika and Azzi, not to mention Liv, Aaliyah, Dorka, Aubrey, Mir, Piath, Sailor, Caroline & Amari.

Reaction Score
UConn WBB has a long history of outstanding backcourts. But I cannot recall a team with a deeper and more talented group of guards than the current one. UConn has 4 of the last 5 guards rated tops in their HS class. The only exception is Jordan Horston at TN. Add in Nika, one of the toughest and most tenacious players on the team, and UConn legitimately goes 5 deep this season at guard. Pending how Caroline & Saylor develop, that number could grow.

UConn’s guards have size, they can all play defense, and they can all knock down 3’s. At least 4 can run the offense (Paige, Evina, Nika & Azzi). There are several definitions of what a “combo guard” is. A simple definition might be that a combo guard is a pg that doesn’t have to play pg, because they have the luxury of playing with another pg. So, UConn has 4 combo guards.

Paige, Evina, Christyn & Azzi can all break down their defender off the dribble and hunt their own shot, pulling up for a midrange jumper or taking the ball all the way to the basket. The fact that UConn has so many players who can shoot it, pass it or attack the basket puts tremendous pressure on opposing defenses.

I know that many BY’ers justifiably believe that UConn’s starting lineup will include 2 of the following 3 players: Liv, Aaliyah or Dorka. Whether or not that’s the case remains to be seen. UConn went with a 4-guard lineup for much of this past season, and Geno will likely try out a 4-guard lineup in some fashion this coming season to spread the floor, move the ball and force opposing teams to make difficult choices on who to guard and who to leave open.

When the ball is moving and the shots are falling, UConn will put up a lot of points. Can any team in the country outscore the Huskies? MD? Stanford? We’ll see. One thing is for sure. Opposing coaches will face a significant challenge trying to figure out how to defend a UConn team with Paige, Christyn, Evina, Nika and Azzi, not to mention Liv, Aaliyah, Dorka, Aubrey, Mir, Piath, Sailor, Caroline & Amari.
Thorough rundown, and like the specifics of "why"! Lots to look forward to - how many days to the season's opener?:D

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Hard to argue about any of this.
:eek: We should probably let these young huskies get a few scrimmages under their belt before we start talking best ever UCONN backcourts. I don't know that this team can put three guards on the floor that are better than Sue, Shea and Svet in '99 or Jefferson, Hartley and Faris in '13. In fact scratch all that. Sue Bird and DT shared the UCONN back court for two season-I start there and invite anyone to ante up.

Reaction Score
Too much talk about offense. The best teams win with defense and rebounding. Nika is quick and tough, Williams has really developed into a good defender, but after that there is a lot of flash but not enough consistency. Jefferson, Hartley and Faris were quick and tough. The backline must help and rebound; think Stewart and Tuck. That 2016 undefeated team could have Stewart, Jefferson, Tuck, Nurse and Gabby on the court at the same time. They gave up just 51 points per during the tourney. Certainly they are not the only UConn team that has played that kind of shutdown defense. It was great fun to watch those UConn teams frustrate teams with a defensive effort that they obviously took great pride in. That Arizona team last year really shut down UConn, and they did the same to a really good Stanford team, though couldn't score enough. With the talented teams that are out there, I don't see UConn just going out and out-scoring them all. If they don't get much better at they defensive end I don't see them winning it all.

Reaction Score
:eek: We should probably let these young huskies get a few scrimmages under their belt before we start talking best ever UCONN backcourts. I don't know that this team can put three guards on the floor that are better than Sue, Shea and Svet in '99 or Jefferson, Hartley and Faris in '13. In fact scratch all that. Sue Bird and DT shared the UCONN back court for two season-I start there and invite anyone to ante up.
It’s tough! But off of potential alone with just PB and Azzi then add someone gritty like a Nika and a physical specimen in Christyn…. Not sure about in Uconn lure but I think we have the best collection at guard in the country this season without doubt lol!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It’s tough! But off of potential alone with just PB and Azzi then add someone gritty like a Nika and a physical specimen in Christyn…. Not sure about in Uconn lure but I think we have the best collection at guard in the country this season without doubt lol!
Well if you want to talk grit I'd throw in Doty and a healthy Brianna Banks to the '13 team and go look up names like Maria Conlon. UCONN had the best back court in the country last year as well.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I wholeheartedly agree with this. The Sue-Diana duo is so high in the stratosphere of best-ever WCBB backcourts that if this year's team comes anywhere close to that level, we should all be very happy.

What's overlooked in the "best backcourts" discussion, however, is how the strength of the frontcourt is a considerable factor in opening up the floor for the guards to operate. Floor balance matters.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This team has three #1, CW, Paige and Azzi, and one # 2, Evina in high school rankings.
Is this a new record in UConn record?
Depends on how (when) you do the scoring. UCONN also had three #1 in KLS, Christyn Williams and Megan Walker as well as a former #2 (prior to injury) in Liv.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Too much talk about offense. The best teams win with defense and rebounding. Nika is quick and tough, Williams has really developed into a good defender, but after that there is a lot of flash but not enough consistency. Jefferson, Hartley and Faris were quick and tough. The backline must help and rebound; think Stewart and Tuck. That 2016 undefeated team could have Stewart, Jefferson, Tuck, Nurse and Gabby on the court at the same time. They gave up just 51 points per during the tourney. Certainly they are not the only UConn team that has played that kind of shutdown defense. It was great fun to watch those UConn teams frustrate teams with a defensive effort that they obviously took great pride in. That Arizona team last year really shut down UConn, and they did the same to a really good Stanford team, though couldn't score enough. With the talented teams that are out there, I don't see UConn just going out and out-scoring them all. If they don't get much better at they defensive end I don't see them winning it all.
I agree. Let's see how the defense is......Remember the Arkansas game?
No UCONN guard could stop Dungee(37 points). Arkansas scored 90 points in that win over the Huskies.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
UConn WBB has a long history of outstanding backcourts. But I cannot recall a team with a deeper and more talented group of guards than the current one.
I cannot recall a team with a potentially deeper and more talented group of guards than the current one. They have a lot to prove except for Paige other than at least sustaining her 2020-21 level of play. Although improvement is welcome. :) Your point is well taken. If these guards perform to Geno's expectations, they will be at or near the top of guard groups.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While the UConn-SC game is always “must see” tv. This year’s matchup in Columbia on 2/27 will be a fascinating matchup: UConn’s guards vs SC’s Bigs. Of course UConn has enough size to match SC if it chooses to, but there will be times when UConn goes small and SC goes big.

I honestly don’t believe that Dawn can play all 3 Bigs at the same time, let alone 2. Boston, Cardoso and Amihere are all most effective in the paint. UConn could spread the floor and force 1 or more SC Bigs to try to defend the perimeter.

Historically, the teams that won championships with 2 Bigs in the lineup did so because at least one of those Bigs could knock down outside shots, defend the perimeter and was pretty good passer: Cox/Brown at Baylor, Steph & Stewie at UConn.

While SC is clearly one of the favorites to win the championship, keep in mind that Dawn’s one and only championship occurred after Alaina Coates was injured during the SEC tournament and SC basically went the entire NCAA tournament with Wilson and 4 guards.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If you’re only going to play 2 guards, then it’s hard to argue against DT and Sue as UConn’s best backcourt. But nowadays most teams start 3-4 guards. Having depth at the guard position is much more important than when the typical lineup included a center, 2 towards & 2 guards.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Well, I think this deep, talented group could eventually demonstrate they are the the best. But until they do, I would still go with Bird, Taurasi and a couple of chairs. ;)
Oh come on we can do much better than a couple of chairs although I get your point. I'd just grab Maria Conlon, Stacey Marron and current UCONN assistant Morgan Valley from the 01-02 team.
Even the following season when Sue graduated I'd replace her with Ann Strother.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
While the UConn-SC game is always “must see” tv. This year’s matchup in Columbia on 2/27 will be a fascinating matchup: UConn’s guards vs SC’s Bigs. Of course UConn has enough size to match SC if it chooses to, but there will be times when UConn goes small and SC goes big.

I honestly don’t believe that Dawn can play all 3 Bigs at the same time, let alone 2. Boston, Cardoso and Amihere are all most effective in the paint. UConn could spread the floor and force 1 or more SC Bigs to try to defend the perimeter.

Historically, the teams that won championships with 2 Bigs in the lineup did so because at least one of those Bigs could knock down outside shots, defend the perimeter and was pretty good passer: Cox/Brown at Baylor, Steph & Stewie at UConn.

While SC is clearly one of the favorites to win the championship, keep in mind that Dawn’s one and only championship occurred after Alaina Coates was injured during the SEC tournament and SC basically went the entire NCAA tournament with Wilson and 4 guards.
I would bet the farm that Dawn will try and control the game with her bigs. At least the first game in a big way, if she were to down size her players and go 4 guards she would be using her incoming freshmen. Her 2021-22 group are highly rated as our newbies. As I have said in numerous posts the games against SC this season comes down to whos team is able to control the other and impose their will on the other team. I fully expect Boston to be using her experienced elbows to great advantage along with Cardoso pushing and leaning for position. If our guards are popping we will have a slobberknocker on our hands. I expect a free for all.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
If you are including Ducharme as a guard, then Abrosimova should be considered as one also. That means the 00-01 class had Bird, Ralph, Abrosimova and Taurasi, three Olympians and a player who, save for 5 ACL tears, might have been as well. Two of them are considered the best of all time at their position. I suspect that is the highest bar set not just for UConn but for all of WCBB.

Reaction Score
Hard to argue about any of this.
A question yet to be answered is whether Aubrey has acquired a dependable mid-range jump shot?
Without a resounding "YES", she would remain a one-dimensional offensive player, particularly if the other guards rise to their predicted skill levels.
I would love to see Aubrey become more than a bench cheerleader, someone who could augment her considerable athleticism, speed and lift and be the true triple-threat contributor we've hoped for.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A question yet to be answered is whether Aubrey has acquired a dependable mid-range jump shot?
Without a resounding "YES", she would remain a one-dimensional offensive player, particularly if the other guards rise to their predicted skill levels.
I would love to see Aubrey become more than a bench cheerleader, someone who could augment her considerable athleticism, speed and lift and be the true triple-threat contributor we've hoped for.
A bit baffling. In HS Aubrey scored from everywhere, including from the 3-pt line.

Reaction Score
By play defense? Do you mean they're good or elite defensively? Because Paige has yet to shown me that even her hc has said she needs to improve defensively. Her defense was abysmal in that Arizona game, she makes no effort aside swiping to take the ball,at a defender.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom