The “New” PAC12 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The “New” PAC12

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I could see Stanford and Cal going for an elite academic conference, adding Rice, maybe SMU and Tulane. There would be unimaginable pressure on Northwestern and Vanderbilt by their alumni to join that league, and maybe on ND too. The academies would jump at the chance to be part of it.

I was laughing at the original poster’s opening to this thread and then I got to this.

The Boneyard is 25 years old….this is like a top 50 greatest hit.

Well done.

Reaction Score
Northwestern grads are embarrassed to be in a conference with most of the Big 10 schools. They do not consider those schools peer institutions in any way, shape or form.
The jealousy you have of the B1G is so obvious.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
As for how many NW grads I have met, don't flex at me on this. You are out of your league.
Weird that you'd counterflex, rather than answer with understated confidence, but this is part of what makes you show up the way you do here.

Some of your postural quirks give off a funny smell that compromises your overall effectiveness & credibility. I can't come up with the winning argument in favor of your riding a horse called bad attitude into battle so regularly, but it's not my job to do so, so I can let it go much of the time. Still, I am reminded that one can't spell the word "controlling" without both "con" and "trolling."

Also, I get the impression that when you put out a call for collective action, your requested "we" stays in the first person singular. As ever, I see skills & knowledge that can add value, but also signs that suggest you have a preference not to join with others.

Reaction Score
I could see Stanford and Cal going for an elite academic conference, adding Rice, maybe SMU and Tulane. There would be unimaginable pressure on Northwestern and Vanderbilt by their alumni to join that league, and maybe on ND too. The academies would jump at the chance to be part of it.

Hahahahaha.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I was laughing at the original poster’s opening to this thread and then I got to this.

Well done.
I damned near gave it a like because they will invite Tulane, which is investing in athletics and improving…then I got to that last sentence.

Reaction Score
I thought my UConn doomsday scenario below was a little silly.. then I read the hot take in this thread

Big 12 adds:
Arizona
Arizona St
Utah

Big 10 adds:
Oregon
Washington

Pac 12 remaining 4 gets to 16 by adding:
All of MW
Hawaii

Big West backfills with:
Sac St

Realignment shuts down again until the Big 3 conferences are ready to consume the ACC like they did the PAC.

Reaction Score
Assuming UO, UA, ASU, UU, CU, UW, USC, UCLA are all gone…

Leaves you with

Oregon State
Wazzu
Stanford
California

What does this league do? Do they look to just backfill in region with 6-8 teams like Fresno State, San Diego State, etc? Weirdly- if they can think strategically for once- there may be a chance to them to form their own “national” conference like the other leagues are doing in order to get exposure across time zones:

Could something like:

San Diego State
SMU
Rice
Air Force
Navy (football only)
Army (football only)

Work for the league? Army and Navy love playing in Texas and the West Coast, and there is at least some value in adding all 3 military academies.

Maybe two more in a Boise State and UNLV combo or something along those lines (Hawaii maybe)?

No idea what is next for them but it’s safe to say that they will be pulling teams “up” rather than the remaining schools moving “down”
Stanford and Cal - I just don't see them voluntarily stepping down into the general population, especially one based in Texas. Utah and Washington may feel the same way. They could invite some programs into the PAC as you suggested which gives them a conference until they don't need it anymore or they could go Indy football and play with the Big West or something in Olympic sports. At some point the B1G will proffer the invitation because they are elite elite academic schools, located in California, and filthy rich.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Well done.

Anytime the premise of your "pwn" is some version of an argument based on cable boxes, it probably isn't the mic drop you think it is.

Reaction Score
No, NW would not get pressure from their alumni to leave the Big10 to join a national academic league. The travel for the money you get would not be enough.
Army, Navy, Air Force? Some other academically, highly ranked U of Cal branch schools?

Reaction Score
I thought my UConn doomsday scenario below was a little silly.. then I read the hot take in this thread

Big 12 adds:
Arizona
Arizona St
Utah

Big 10 adds:
Oregon
Washington

All of MW
Hawaii

Big West backfills with:
Sac St

Realignment shuts down again until the Big 3 conferences are ready to consume the ACC like they did the PAC.
The PAC-12 portion sounds implausible, but also not super relevant to us anyway.

The Big XII and B1G portions are entirely plausible. We have to hope that one of the western schools balks and leaves them at an odd number and that we're the next best property for the Big XII.

Reaction Score
All of MW
Hawaii
Hawaii is already in the Mtn West. it would be easier for the 4 remaining PAC schools to just join them unless by virtue keeping the PAC name they keep the auto bid to the CFP. in that case then yes the Mtn West schools should all "join" the PAC.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This month completes my 10th year on the Yard.

What a long, strange trip it has been.
You should see what it looks like from the inside as opposed to the outside. Lot more thrilling.

Reaction Score
Hawaii is already in the Mtn West. it would be easier for the 4 remaining PAC schools to just join them unless by virtue keeping the PAC name they keep the auto bid to the CFP. in that case then yes the Mtn West schools should all "join" the PAC.
Not as a full member though, meant Hawaii goes to full membership.

You keep the PAC name, perks, and history I'd have to imagine

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I wonder if this finally gets the Dakota schools (North Dakota State/South Dakota State) into FBS

PAC refills with 6+ MWC schools
MWC refills with.. NMSU, UTEP, 2 more and Dakotas?

Reaction Score
The 4 PAC leftovers can prob pick and choose who they want from Mtn West and AAC. i'd go with 4 Mtn West and 2 AAC schools:

PAC West:
1 Wazzu
2 OR St.
3 Cal
4 Stanford
5 SDSU (second time's the charm)

PAC East:
1 Boise (best football program in Mtn West)
2 UNLV (Vegas market)
3 Colorado St (Denver market)
4 SMU (Dallas market, foothold into TX recruiting)
5 Tulane (NO market, football trending up)

easily remains the 5th best football conference and keeps their auto bid to the CFP

Reaction Score
If they are going to pick and choose, I'd assume they attempt to stay on their academic high horse by bringing in all the available high end private schools and at the same time and also aim for at least 14 members. I guess it remains the 5th best conference but it's in competition with ACC and MWC instead of with ACC and XII now. The dropoff from 4 to 5 is now STEEP.

PAC West:
1 Wazzu #212
2 OR St. #151
3 Cal #20
4 Stanford #3
5 SDSU #151
6 Fresno St #250
7 Hawaii #166

PAC East:
1 Boise #331+
2 UNLV #285
3 Colorado St #151
4 SMU #72
5 Tulane #44
6 Tulsa #137
7 Rice #15

Reaction Score
If they are going to pick and choose, I'd assume they attempt to stay on their academic high horse by bringing in all the available high end private schools and at the same time and also aim for at least 14 members. I guess it remains the 5th best conference but it's in competition with ACC and MWC instead of with ACC and XII now. The dropoff from 4 to 5 is now STEEP.

PAC West:
1 Wazzu #212
2 OR St. #151
3 Cal #20
4 Stanford #3
5 SDSU #151
6 Fresno St #250
7 Hawaii #166

PAC East:
1 Boise #331+
2 UNLV #285
3 Colorado St #151
4 SMU #72
5 Tulane #44
6 Tulsa #137
7 Rice #15
Refusing to get off their academic high horse is what got them into this predicament inthe first place

Reaction Score
Pacific time zone didn't help, hard to keep up with the big boys when your marque games are played exclusively after the majority of the country is in bed or past the point of intoxication

Reaction Score

PAC West:
1 Wazzu #212
2 OR St. #151
3 Cal #20
4 Stanford #3
5 SDSU #151
6 Fresno St #250
7 Hawaii #166

PAC East:
1 Boise #331+
2 UNLV #285
3 Colorado St #151
4 SMU #72
5 Tulane #44
6 Tulsa #137
7 Rice #15

No way that lineup warrants a "Power 5". Power 5 is dead. The expanded CFP rules are only in effect for 2024 and 2025 seasons. Things will change in 2026, and it will benefit the SEC, B1G and, to a lesser extent, the ACC and Big 12.

Reaction Score
No way that lineup warrants a "Power 5". Power 5 is dead. The expanded CFP rules are only in effect for 2024 and 2025 seasons. Things will change in 2026, and it will benefit the SEC, B1G and, to a lesser extent, the ACC and Big 12.
Power 4 is dead.

If these couple of scumbag conferences are going to try and shut everyone else out of everything then everyone else should band together and form their own thing. If the two scummers aren't going to kick in money for anything else and the men's basketball tournament is responsible for funding all non-revenue sports then change it. Start your own tournament with all the teams who actually win championsips where you bring in all the profits and all non-revenue sports die on the vine. Maybe that will get the gov't and everyone else to wake up and put a stop to this.

Reaction Score
Its kind of funny that Stanford and Cal are now stuck with ASU, WSU, OSU and Utah. All due to leadership and not wanting to accept poor academics.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom