The “New” PAC12 | The Boneyard

The “New” PAC12

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Assuming UO, UA, ASU, UU, CU, UW, USC, UCLA are all gone…

Leaves you with

Oregon State
Wazzu
Stanford
California

What does this league do? Do they look to just backfill in region with 6-8 teams like Fresno State, San Diego State, etc? Weirdly- if they can think strategically for once- there may be a chance to them to form their own “national” conference like the other leagues are doing in order to get exposure across time zones:

Could something like:

San Diego State
SMU
Rice
Air Force
Navy (football only)
Army (football only)

Work for the league? Army and Navy love playing in Texas and the West Coast, and there is at least some value in adding all 3 military academies.

Maybe two more in a Boise State and UNLV combo or something along those lines (Hawaii maybe)?

No idea what is next for them but it’s safe to say that they will be pulling teams “up” rather than the remaining schools moving “down”

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I could see Stanford and Cal going for an elite academic conference, adding Rice, maybe SMU and Tulane. There would be unimaginable pressure on Northwestern and Vanderbilt by their alumni to join that league, and maybe on ND too. The academies would jump at the chance to be part of it.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I could see Stanford and Cal going for an elite academic conference, adding Rice, maybe SMU and Tulane. There would be unimaginable pressure on Northwestern and Vanderbilt by their alumni to join that league, and maybe on ND too. The academies would jump at the chance to be part of it.
No, NW would not get pressure from their alumni to leave the Big10 to join a national academic league. The travel for the money you get would not be enough.

Reaction Score

Leaves you with

Oregon State
Wazzu
Stanford
California

What does this league do? Do they look to just backfill in region with 6-8 teams like Fresno State, San Diego State, etc? Weirdly- if they can think strategically for once- there may be a chance to them to form their own “national” conference like the other leagues are doing in order to get exposure across time zones:

Could something like:

San Diego State
SMU
Rice
Air Force
Navy (football only)
Army (football only)

Work for the league? Army and Navy love playing in Texas and the West Coast, and there is at least some value in adding all 3 military academies.

Maybe two more in a Boise State and UNLV combo or something along those lines (Hawaii maybe)?

No idea what is next for them but it’s safe to say that they will be pulling teams “up” rather than the remaining schools moving “down”
No.

I think league merged with WCC and those teams go Indy.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
No, NW would not get pressure from their alumni to leave the Big10 to join a national academic league. The travel for the money you get would not be enough.

Northwestern grads are embarrassed to be in a conference with most of the Big 10 schools. They do not consider those schools peer institutions in any way, shape or form.

Reaction Score
Looks like we have more teams to play in the “independence league”

How do you figure that? The PAC will collect their severance cash and add teams just like the Big East did when it turned into the AAC. Nobody wants to be independent, not even UConn. Independence stinks unless you are Notre Dame.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Never met a Northwestern alumni embarrassed to be in the same conversation as Michigan, Wisconsin, Purdue.......

Michigan, maybe. Purdue engineering, sure, I guess. Not Purdue liberal arts. Wisconsin? Whatever. How many Wisconsin students turned down admittance to Northwestern to go to Madison? It is a very small number.

Northwestern's peer institutions are Ivies, Stanford, Cal, Vanderbilt, UChicago, NYU, Duke, UNC. Not Iowa and Minnesota. You should stick to being a sports fan.

Reaction Score

Leaves you with

Oregon State
Wazzu
Stanford
California

Could something like:

San Diego State
SMU
Rice
Air Force
Navy (football only)
Army (football only)

Yes, this is exactly what will happen. I'm not sure what the teams will be but without question the PAC remnants will keep the PAC brand going and make the best of it. They will not go independent. Maybe they can merge with the MWC and the MWC brand woud die.

dayooper

Reaction Score
Northwestern grads are embarrassed to be in a conference with most of the Big 10 schools. They do not consider those schools peer institutions in any way, shape or form.

Michigan, maybe. Purdue engineering, sure, I guess. Not Purdue liberal arts. Wisconsin? Whatever. How many Wisconsin students turned down admittance to Northwestern to go to Madison? It is a very small number.

Northwestern's peer institutions are Ivies, Stanford, Cal, Vanderbilt, UChicago, NYU, Duke, UNC. Not Iowa and Minnesota. You should stick to being a sports fan.
And yet they have been in the Big10 since its founding over 100 years ago and their alumni have pushed them out yet.

Just a quick question, how many NW grads have you met?

Reaction Score

Big Ten has some of the top undergrad and Graduate Engineering programs in the country. Also- Mark Cuban might have a different opinion of Northwestern embarrassment

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
And yet they have been in the Big10 since its founding over 100 years ago and their alumni have pushed them out yet.

Just a quick question, how many NW grads have you met?

Northwestern's performance on the court and the field shows exactly how much they care about college athletics. It makes some money for them, so they don't shut it down.

As for how many NW grads I have met, don't flex at me on this. You are out of your league.

dayooper

Reaction Score
Northwestern's performance on the court and the field shows exactly how much they care about college athletics. It makes some money for them, so they don't shut it down.

As for how many NW grads I have met, don't flex at me on this. You are out of your league.
;)

Reaction Score

I went to school in Bloomington and have 2 kids currently enrolled in West Lafayette - lots of miles in the Midwest

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I do think that Stanford and Cal end up in the Big 10, especially if they start poking around about starting some academic elite league.

dayooper

Reaction Score
Can we shut down the Big 10 posters for a week or so? I don't think any UConn fan is in the mood for their homages to Big 10 greatness right now.
Wait, you come at me than want to shut me down? I never said the Big10 was great. YOU made statements that you can’t back up and then get angry when called out.

But I digress, this is not my home so I will succumb to your intelligence. All NW alumni want to pressure NW to leave the Big10 because they are all embarrassed by the schools of their conference.

Reaction Score

Maybe with Nebraska and Rutgers (more perception that reality from an academic viewpoint), but Michigan, Purdue (engineering), Wisconsin, don’t see that.

US News Rankings 2023: #10 Northwestern, #20 UCLA, #25 Michigan, #25 USC, #38 Wisconsin, #41 Illinois, #49 Ohio St, #51 Purdue, #55 Rutgers, #55 Maryland, #62 Minnesota, #72 Indiana, #77 Michigan St, #77 Penn St, #83 Iowa, and #151 Nebraska.

PS – B1G affiliates U Chicago is #6 and Johns Hopkins is #7 while other P5’s are #3 Stanford, #10 Duke, #13 Vanderbilt, #18 ND, #20 Cal, #55 Washington, #97 Colorado, #105 Arizona, #105 Oregon, #105 Utah, #121 Arizona St., #151 Oregon St.,

PPS - UConn is #67

In addition, going into another point, these are the 10 largest research universities by total R&D spend accounting to the NSF – Johns Hopkins $3.18B, U Cal SF $1.71B, U Michigan $1.64B, UPenn $1.63B, U Washington $1.49B, UCLA $1.45B, UCSD $1.43B, Wisconsin $1.38B, Stanford $1.27B, Harvard $1.25B. The top 50 also includes: Ohio St, Maryland, Minnesota, Penn St, USC, Northwestern, Illinois, Michigan St, Purdue, Rutgers, and Iowa. UConn comes in at #88 with $302M as a FYI, just behind Nebraska.

The B1G Presidents do care about this.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Wait, you come at me than want to shut me down? I never said the Big10 was great. YOU made statements that you can’t back up and then get angry when called out.

But I digress, this is not my home so I will succumb to your intelligence. All NW alumni want to pressure NW to leave the Big10 because they are all embarrassed by the schools of their conference.

It is a big internet with other places for Big 10 fans to tell each other why they are superior sports fans for liking a Big 10 team. This is a UConn Board and we just got some bad news. So maybe you should fudge off instead of trolling us.

Reaction Score
Yes they need to create a D1 Ivy like conference - Stanford, Berkeley, Rice, Tulane, Navy, Army, Airforce, Vandy, GTech, VTech and market themselves as the good guys. Pull in an ND, Northwestern and you a super academic conference.

dayooper

Reaction Score
It is a big internet with other places for Big 10 fans to tell each other why they are superior sports fans for liking a Big 10 team. This is a UConn Board and we just got some bad news. So maybe you should fudge off instead of trolling us.
When have I trolled UConn? Not once. I have been adamant that I would love to see you all in the Big10 since well before you joined the NBE. Just because I don’t agree with what you say doesn’t mean I am trolling.

I will say you are absolutely correct that you probably did just get bad news (hopefully not) and I really hope that this works out. I will most definitely bow out of this conversation (and your other conversations) and give you your space.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Yes they need to create a D1 Ivy like conference - Stanford, Berkeley, Rice, Tulane, Navy, Army, Airforce, Vandy, GTech, VTech and market themselves as the good guys. Pull in an ND, Northwestern and you a super academic conference.

I have said for years that these schools have truly fundamental problems with being a minor league. They are not minor league teams with a school attached like some of their conference mates. A discussion for another day.

Reaction Score
This is one of the most absurd statements I've read on here and I've read a lot of ridiculous stuff. Just completely made up. I've lived by Northwestern for 20 years and a bunch of my friends over the years are Northwestern grads, Ohio State grads, Michigan grads, Purdue grads, Illinois grads, Wisconsin grads, Michigan State grads, Iowa grads. Just complete and utter nonsense.

Same applies to Vanderbilt, my brother went there and a bunch of my friends went there. They absolutely love being in the SEC and took road trips all the time to other SEC schools for football games while at Vandy and still do. They wish they competed better against their SEC foes but they absolutely love the conference.

Stop talking out of your butt.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Believe me. you're fine. He's like the most ignored guy on The Boneyard. You'be always been a courteous visitor. You are welcome here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom