Texas at Tennessee on Sunday - Who Wins? (Poll) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Texas at Tennessee on Sunday - Who Wins? (Poll)

Texas at Tennessee on Sunday - Who Wins?

• Texas

Votes: 100 82.6%
  • Tennessee

Votes: 21 17.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Love the new avatar Java,every bit as oxymoronic as a bitter sweet jumbo shrimp.cool. Neither team has really played much decent competition but Tennessee relies on a lot of freshmen at this point.Hope the refs don't get intimidated in Knutsville and hand the game to the voles.

Hey, Java always get "spruced up" for the holidays. That's the kind of guy he is. :)

Carnac

Reaction Score
I was over reading on Volnation and some think TN could will by 15. I can't see TN getting closer than 20. I Can't wait for the comments after the game. I just hope the NCAA committee will break down and put them in our bracket this year.[/QUOTE]

"I just hope the NCAA committee will break down and put them in our bracket this year" - Don't you though. I wonder if Geno would treat this match-up any different than he would if it was any other team. Probably not. I'm guessing he's been over the Tennessee Thing for years. As Geno said years ago, he will not schedule Tennessee until certain "conditions" are met. I'll bet you being in UConn's bracket is not on TN's wish list. Nobody wants to be in UConn's bracket for obvious reasons. :cool:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
As much as it pains me to say it, this edition of the Lady Vols is in fact improved over last year's.

I will actually be surprised if this game is a blowout. Last year Texas struggled to put away Tennessee in Austin. And although Texas should in theory be better than last year, they didn't exactly blow out LSU on a neutral court, which has been their toughest game to date (I believe LSU is much better than Georgia this year).

Whatever the result, it will be hard to know what to make of it. If Tennessee wins, does it mean the Vols are Final Four contenders? Or does it mean that Texas is overrated? And even if Texas wins, we won't know until later in the season if it truly represents a quality road win.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
And what do you think the margin of victory will be.

#2 Texas is 7-0. #11 Tennessee is 9-0.

I'll do a recap of the wisdom of the crowd after the poll closes and disclose the average MOV for both teams.

The game is on ESPN2 at 3:00 p.m. eastern.

I just checked the line up of games Sunday. THIS is the best game of the day. Massey predicts a 2 point win for Texas 75-73. Texas is ranked #2 in the AP/ #4 in the USA Today coach's Poll. Tennessee is ranked #11/#13. This one could go either way. Since Texas is on UConn's remaining schedule, I'm going to watch this one.
I'll say Texas by 7 points. I wonder what "ya girl Margo" has to say about this one? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Both teams didn't play a challenging schedule so far so this game should be very interesting, I'm curious to see how TN's young backcourt does against TX's experienced one

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Tennessee plays at Long Beach State on Sunday Dec 17th. I will wear my Uconn hat.
Texas 75
Tenn. 64

Reaction Score
"Regardless of the result, it will be hard to know what to make of it."

"Exactly. Both have played nobody."

Going to hop onto this bandwagon. Texas has been a perennial paper longhorn for years now fielding teams packed with top ranked recruits that never seemed to find a fourth, much less fifth gear. The opponent lives on the heady fume of memories and hoped for miracles to be provided by a rag tag band of upstart freshmen, who, no matter how much better they look compared to last year's dumpster fire are still just kids without a coach. Either one could win and it's still a tale told by an announcer, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
"Regardless of the result, it will be hard to know what to make of it."

"Exactly. Both have played nobody."

Going to hop onto this bandwagon. Texas has been a perennial paper longhorn for years now fielding teams packed with top ranked recruits that never seemed to find a fourth, much less fifth gear. The opponent lives on the heady fume of memories and hoped for miracles to be provided by a rag tag band of upstart freshmen, who, no matter how much better they look compared to last year's dumpster fire are still just kids without a coach. Either one could win and it's still a tale told by an announcer, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
I really like your literary take on the matter :)

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Texas by Double Digits. They are the more experienced talented team. It will be interesting to see how well the Lady Vols play. If they keep the game close, they just might be better than many think.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If this game were in Austin, I would say this is a no-brainer, but we don't really have a good sense about the LVs yet. Nor do we have a good sense of the Longhorns. I'd say if one team wins by 20, the loser is only a pretender.

I think Tennessee is too young and will lose by 15 ultimately. If Diamond were playing, I'd call Texas by 20. ;)

Reaction Score
The team with the less ugly shade of Orange
Tell me about it. I'm an Oklahoma grad. Hating Texas (Burnt Orange) was obligatory, and our in-state rival was Oklahoma State - yep, orange. And then becoming a UConn fan - well... you know that one ("Puke" Orange, just for the record). Can't seem to get away from it - ACKKKKKKKK!!!!

upload_2017-12-9_18-11-14.png

Reaction Score
Are there \two refs or three refs for this game? I find it hard to make a prediction without knowing whether Texas will be playing 5 vs. 7 or 5 vs.8. If the refs play fair then Texas should win 78-69.

Reaction Score
Massey has it at only a 2 point win for TX... I think it will be more like TX by 12.
Has anyone ever did the statistics on how accurate Massey's predictions are to the actual outcomes?

Reaction Score
Tenn schedule - The Lady Vols do have a win over Oklahoma State who played Miss. St close at Miss. St. and upset # 7 UCLA yesterday.

Regardless of the outcome tomorrow, remember this: In the 2002-2003 season, Texas had 5 losses on January 23, 2003. It looked like this:

Nov. 22, 2002 @ BYU – LOST 63-79
Dec. 7, 2002 @ New Mexico – LOST 70-77
Dec. 28, 2002 @ LSU – LOST 58-76
Jan. 5, 2003 @ Ohio St – LOST 66-70
Jan. 25, 2003 @ Kansas St – LOST 69-71

Texas' next lost was to UCONN 69-71 in the final four.

I remember sitting in the Lone Star room during the winter. Coach Jody Conradt addressed the fans saying that if the team continued to work, they had a chance to compete for championships.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Texas does have senior guards in Atkins and McCarthy. Tennessee also has seniors in Russell and Nared.
Nevertheless in big games and the NCAA's, guards are the key to winning. Without experience in the back court the front court is hampered.

Reaction Score
I just don't understand why Aston hasn't scheduled a harder schedule? She has a large amount of McD players. The same argument should be made for Tennessee. But Texas has no excuse. Honestly, neither does Frese or Mulkey. It makes you appreciate coaches like Geno, Tara, and Muffet because they will schedule tough opponents. You can have your favorite teams, but if you're a true fan of WBB you want to see more top rated match ups. I'm excited for the game tomorrow. Personally, I voted for the upset. I think the LVs can do it. I'm just hoping it'll be a good showing for wcbb. Last Sunday was an awesome regular season game!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom