Tennessee parts ways with Kellie (Jolly) Harper [merged thread] | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Tennessee parts ways with Kellie (Jolly) Harper [merged thread]

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
No worries. Shea has a double dose of UConn and Vanderbilt dislike of UT. She is quite fond of Kellie Harper, though, and has spoken several times about how much she loved competing against her in their youth. I'm also a Harper fan. I would love to see her land somewhere that she can enjoy coaching again.
Maybe Kellie is just best suited for mid-major coaching and is just not a high-profile, pressure-packed program coach. In her defense, though...Tennessee did have injuries to deal with early in the year and the team seemed to be playing its best basketball toward the end of the year.

Reaction Score
It’s a shame . The SEC final loss and their close loss to NCSU in NCAA showed the team has a potential to be great. UConn didn’t fire Geno last year for failing to advance to fonaln4. :)

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Could Kenny Brooks take the Tennessee job and jilt Kentucky? Would be a lot easier to recruit at Tennessee.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Megan Duffy is on a bunch of list. Miami is looking at her

Hmmm, I see Liza Karlen is in the portal. Is Coach Duffy leaving?
Hmmm, Geno might look at Karlen as a nice consolation prize if a certain Strong woman goes elsewhere.

Reaction Score
Could Kenny Brooks take the Tennessee job and jilt Kentucky? Would be a lot easier to recruit at Tennessee.
That gives me flashbacks of Belichick and what happened when Parcells quit. That wasn't pretty. If Brooks could do that, which I highly doubt is possible, I don't want to imagine how nasty it could get between these two schools.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I’d hate to think the Tenn AD would do things without someone in mind for the job. Whoever the staff member is the AD wanted fired, he had to anticipate KJH would say no.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The problem for the LVs is Tenn boosters want their money going to Football and Mens BB and NOT Womens BB. To hire a coach without enough money looks like it could be a problem. For the LVs to try and get a big name coach while paying Kelly appro $550,000 a year for the next 4 years looks like it could be a problem too. Maybe an Asst Coach from a big named team like South Carolina, NC State, would be interested in the job or a good coach from a mid major.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I hope they go that route but I see them gunning hard for Lawson. I hope Kara stays put though, she’s building such a good thing in Durham and it’d be a bummer to see that get disassembled.

I'll try to put this as delicately as I can. Lawson has a very promising core returning, and a great freshman class coming in. She needs a certain type of player to play for her... and that type of player isn't going to go to TN. She would have to change her whole recruiting strategy if she decided to leave Duke for TN.

Reaction Score
The problem for the LVs is Tenn boosters want their money going to Football and Mens BB and NOT Womens BB.
SEC schools have more than enough to spend on everything.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I'll try to put this as delicately as I can. Lawson has a very promising core returning, and a great freshman class coming in. She needs a certain type of player to play for her... and that type of player isn't going to go to TN. She would have to change her whole recruiting strategy if she decided to leave Duke for TN.
What Strategy? Oh, you mean the one where 16 different players come and go via the portal to play for her in 4 years? That Strategy? Yeah, it's worked out great so far. Year 1, quite the season after 4 games, year 2-didn't qualify for any postseason play, Year 3 had a great regular season but lost in round 2 AT HOME to Colorado as a #3 seed, finally year 4, finished 7th in conference and made to the Sweet 16 with no signs of an offense or scheme. Keep in mind we don't know who will leave this year's team yet but my guess is at least 2.

So, keep whistling past the grave yard if you want to but I am full Ghostbusters gear!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Dawn, Kim, and Vic are not available. Maybe Jeff is. Tenn hired KJH on the cheap. If they want someone good and experienced, they need to offer $2 million or so, not $700K.
With women's basketball blowing up now, it would be wise to look for the biggest name coach available.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Megan Duffy is on a bunch of list. Miami is looking at her

Hmmm, I see Liza Karlen is in the portal. Is Coach Duffy leaving?
I just don't get all the "Meg Duffy" mania. She underachieved this year with a veteran squad where she was lucky to get a bid in the NCAAT despite placing 5th in a weak Big East conference this year. She should have easily vied with Creighton for 2nd but instead lost twice to St. John's and twice to Villanova. None of the 3 games with Connecticut were competitive losing by 31, 29, 29. She's lost in the 1st round each of three times she qualified for the NCAAT. One year was cancelled with COVID which she had a good squad, 2 years ago she won 2 games in the WNIT. She took over a good program at Marquette after Kieger left for PSU and she's done a decent job recruiting but the results the last 3 years of 13-7, 13-7, 11-7 in BE play don't scream "I am a P5 program lifting coach".

Color me highly suspect on her achieving anything of note at any program that hires her. I hope she stays, does really well to prove me wrong....

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
And the Tennessee women's basketball drama continues.

The AD needs to go outside the Tennessee family. This is a very difficult job to succeed in. Whoever takes the job will continually be compared to Pat Summitt. That is a no win situation.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I hope Lawson leaves just to see how you will react. ;):rolleyes::p

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom