Tennessee basketball, 2023 part I | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Tennessee basketball, 2023 part I

Reaction Score
I keep waiting for Tenn is turn it around but it may be too late this year. Harper overscheduled and it hurt the team. LSU underscheduled and received more criticism for this but the over scheduling is no better.

Reaction Score
Anyone have an opinion on Kellie’s problems? Why can’t she recruit (particularly when coaching such a storied program)? Is she a poor game coach? Do players not work hard for her? What’s up??
All of the above. My opinion is they recruited (signed) the wrong type of player and don’t have a strong demanding coach. That’s a mix that will never work. The inmate run the asylum. I think a stronger coach would make them just a little better or at least teach them team basketball.
Time to throw the baby out with the bath water and star fresh. Call Megan Duffy and let her build. Get out of the shadow of Pat. Don’t forget Pat but let a new regime start. @amb3096 take this to Volnation for opinions

Reaction Score
All of the above. My opinion is they recruited (signed) the wrong type of player and don’t have a strong demanding coach. That’s a mix that will never work. The inmate run the asylum. I think a stronger coach would make them just a little better or at least teach them team basketball.
Time to throw the baby out with the bath water and star fresh. Call Megan Duffy and let her build. Get out of the shadow of Pat. Don’t forget Pat but let a new regime start. @amb3096 take this to Volnation for opinions
Maybe that's kind of the problem in UT hiring new WBB coaches. You identified Megan Duffy as an outside the Summit tree hire. However, if you look at the SEC behind Staley and Mulkey-Coach Yo is the other best coach in the SEC. Why would Vol Nation not target her-Ole Miss is not going to match the salary.

Reaction Score
To paraphrase the esteemed rapper Blacc Youngsta, Why would she switch out a dime for a penny? Woo woo

Edit.. If you are over the age of 30.. Don't google the lytics or video. :cool:
Rat Snitch the whole lot of them

Reaction Score
Maybe that's kind of the problem in UT hiring new WBB coaches. You identified Megan Duffy as an outside the Summit tree hire. However, if you look at the SEC behind Staley and Mulkey-Coach Yo is the other best coach in the SEC. Why would Vol Nation not target her-Ole Miss is not going to match the salary.
Ole Miss has really impressed me. Far better than I imagine since they lost Austin. I think it’s more cohesive team this year that really gets after it defensively.

Reaction Score
Coach Yo has some good qualities but I'm honestly not sure if she's a great coach or just a good motivator. Ole Miss isn't a bad team but is far from a good one. I'd say Neighbors is better too.

Harper will be at UT for at least one more year. It may not go beyond that but she will be there next season.

Reaction Score
You think Marquette would match the Salary? Tennessee needs a total fresh start and that could mean a hire not from the SEC. I just really like what I see in Duffy and the way her players play for her. The Tennessee brand and Duffy coaching could start that new regime that is so desperately needed. I doubt Duffy would’ve recruited any of the athletes on Tennessee roster now. Note I said athletes. I don’t see too many team ball players on that roster or high basketball IQs. JMO.

Reaction Score
Coach Yo has some good qualities but I'm honestly not sure if she's a great coach or just a good motivator. Ole Miss isn't a bad team but is far from a good one. I'd say Neighbors is better too.

Harper will be at UT for at least one more year. It may not go beyond that but she will be there next season.
You’re probably right on Harper and next season will be UGLY for them. But don’t worry they will blame Geno, Dawn, God, Kim, Angela Reese, DT, Sophia Cunningham and the baby. Lol

Reaction Score
Ole Miss has really impressed me. Far better than I imagine since they lost Austin. I think it’s more cohesive team this year that really gets after it defensively.

The league is just so down. It's hard to judge anyone.

Reaction Score

Neighbors? As in Arkansas? The guy all but admits that defense is rarely on his mind. Or even something he understands.

Reaction Score
Neighbors? As in Arkansas? The guy all but admits that defense is rarely on his mind. Or even something he understands.
Neighbors has been to a FF and while his Arkansas team is far from great, I trust that pedigree more than a coach who hasn't won a tournament game before.

Ole Miss basically plays a "in your face" style that relies on turning people over and scoring in the full court game or one on one. They don't execute well in the half court at all. Coach Yo seems like a decent person and seems to have players who like her but I am not ready to call her a good coach.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Neighbors has been to a FF and while his Arkansas team is far from great, I trust that pedigree more than a coach who hasn't won a tournament game before.

Ole Miss basically plays a "in your face" style that relies on turing people over and scoring in the full court game or one on one. They don't execute well in the half court at all. Coach Yo seems like a decent person and seems to have players who like her but I am not ready to call her a good coach.
Neighbors isn't a bad coach. I just don't see him as great. He's very creative offensively and when he was at Washington and now Arkansas that was obvious. His instinct for winning is first and foremost to outscore the opponent and get up a lot of shot attempts with a fast-paced transition game. He's had some great offensive weapons reach the WNBA (Plum, Slocum, Dungee, Osahor) and they all had a common struggle...defense. Plum put in the work and is a star, but her transition wasn't without bumps. But, back to TN. IMO, going back to Holly and up until now, they have had the talent and I thought they would be better. Do they need a coaching change? I have no idea. But, I will say this. If they go that route, they and other schools, need to drop the ridiculous concept that an alum is necessarily the best fit. Not saying that isn't the case in any particular situation, but it just limits the candidates.

Reaction Score
Neighbors isn't a bad coach. I just don't see him as great. He's very creative offensively and when he was at Washington and now Arkansas that was obvious. His instinct for winning is first and foremost to outscore the opponent and get up a lot of shot attempts with a fast-paced transition game. He's had some great offensive weapons reach the WNBA (Plum, Slocum, Dungee, Osahor) and they all had a common struggle...defense. Plum put in the work and is a star, but her transition wasn't without bumps. But, back to TN. IMO, going back to Holly and up until now, they have had the talent and I thought they would be better. Do they need a coaching change? I have no idea. But, I will say this. If they go that route, they and other schools, need to drop the ridiculous concept that an alum is necessarily the best fit. Not saying that isn't the case in any particular situation, but it just limits the candidates.
I don't think he's great either but my original response to the post was to someone who believed Coach Yo was the next good one in the SEC after Dawn and Kim. I said I believed Neighbors is better than Yo and stand by that.

I too thought Harper would be better than she's shown. I wouldn't say she's been bad but the roster they have should be better than this, just how Holly was her final few years. Holly was the natural successor for Pat given the circumstances. When Holly was removed from the post the university either couldn't or wasn't willing to open their wallet for a big name so Harper was a logical and I will just say "safe" choice.

I'd say the fanbase now, even the old school Pat loyalists, would be accepting of any candidate regardless of gender or prior affiliation. Whether the AD and university agrees is a different story.

Reaction Score
I don't think he's great either but my original response to the post was to someone who believed Coach Yo was the next good one in the SEC after Dawn and Kim. I said I believed Neighbors is better than Yo and stand by that.

I too thought Harper would be better than she's shown. I wouldn't say she's been bad but the roster they have should be better than this, just how Holly was her final few years. Holly was the natural successor for Pat given the circumstances. When Holly was removed from the post the university either couldn't or wasn't willing to open their wallet for a big name so Harper was a logical and I will just say "safe" choice.

I'd say the fanbase now, even the old school Pat loyalists, would be accepting of any candidate regardless of gender or prior affiliation. Whether the AD and university agrees is a different story.
Yea...I'd say he's better than Coach Yo.

Reaction Score
Thoughts regarding Coach J Taylor from Texas A&M? I’m still surprised she was able to land a pretty high profile job after the so-so job she did at Georgia.
As a coach...I like her. As a coach that relates to players...she's hard to read. I'm going to see if I can find the video where Barker went to hug her and she seemed to be a little offstandish. Maybe because of the sweat? I just remember being 'shocked' for lack of a better word. But, hey she recruited Barker and then Barker followed her to A&M.

Reaction Score
You think Marquette would match the Salary? Tennessee needs a total fresh start and that could mean a hire not from the SEC. I just really like what I see in Duffy and the way her players play for her. The Tennessee brand and Duffy coaching could start that new regime that is so desperately needed. I doubt Duffy would’ve recruited any of the athletes on Tennessee roster now. Note I said athletes. I don’t see too many team ball players on that roster or high basketball IQs. JMO.
You are not going to beat SCar or LSU with Duffy..I am sorry but you are not..

Reaction Score
As a coach...I like her. As a coach that relates to players...she's hard to read. I'm going to see if I can find the video where Barker went to hug her and she seemed to be a little offstandish. Maybe because of the sweat? I just remember being 'shocked' for lack of a better word. But, hey she recruited Barker and then Barker followed her to A&M.
Yea...I'd say he's better than Coach Yo.
OMG Vol Nation.....Mike Neighbors . go ahead and make the same hire as always with Megan Duffy good ole Mike.

Reaction Score

Ole Miss basically plays a "in your face" style that relies on turning people over and scoring in the full court game or one on one. They don't execute well in the half court at all. Coach Yo seems like a decent person and seems to have players who like her but I am not ready to call her a good coach.
I don't think Sam Purcell is a particularly good coach. Just my opinion...

Reaction Score
You are not going to beat SCar or LSU with Duffy..I am sorry but you are not..
Nope, not in the immediate future and not with Tennessee current roster but you could start building a new culture with a coach that new recruits who want to be a part of a legendary program will respect and follow. I’d be Will to bet that if Duffy was the current coach at Tennessee she MAY have landed Caitlyn Clark, Olivia Miles or a Maddie Siegrist type along with other top notch quality players. Just my opinion.

Reaction Score
What numbers does Duke pull for home games? Small arena, small attendance. And the ACC pales in comparison to the SEC in annual revenue per team……Kara is a Vol, they would have the resources to pull her if they so chose to, way more than Duke. And Kara has built a great program at Duke, but where are the fans? If she did that at UT TBA would be back to packed houses. UT is down, but still a sleeping giant, when they are great they command national attention, still one of the top two historic WBB programs and they can be awoken with the right leader, then watch out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom