Tennessee basketball, 2023 part I | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tennessee basketball, 2023 part I

Reaction Score
Its amazing that with all the fantastic coaching, player evaluation, recuriting, game management and motivational talent that is freely available on the LV message board, the team continues to fall short!
Right! I mean they do have Coach Jumper who is “close to the program”. You would think they would use that resource.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
They do have some talent on that team with Rickea and Horston and Hollingshead looks like someone who can develop. But man, the offense still looks like the ole chuck it up and rebound like crazy from way back in the glory days. And the defense still has trouble with weak side help.

Reaction Score
They do have some talent on that team with Rickea and Horston and Hollingshead looks like someone who can develop. But man, the offense still looks like the ole chuck it up and rebound like crazy from way back in the glory days. And the defense still has trouble with weak side help.
Yep, you’re correct. Hollingshead chose the wrong place for development.

Reaction Score

Shameful. It was like a comedy of errors to see who could give away the game with authority, and Tennessee had just enough turnovers to seal the deal.

Tennessee needs to hire a capable coach. Kellie...nice person, I'm sure. But she's like Holly with better outfits, more poise behind the microphone, but worse recruiting. Just...no!

Reaction Score
Shameful. It was like a comedy of errors to see who could give away the game with authority, and Tennessee had just enough turnovers to seal the deal.

Tennessee needs to hire a capable coach. Kellie...nice person, I'm sure. But she's like Holly with better outfits, more poise behind the microphone, but worse recruiting. Just...no!
I will have to watch the game later today. Was it really a comedy of errors? LOL

Reaction Score
I will have to watch the game later today. Was it really a comedy of errors? LOL
It was a train wreck on the back end. My favorite part is when 5 or 6 players hit the floor like bowling pins under the basket and Miss St goes the other missing free throws and turning the ball over giving up a 6 point lead the past 30 seconds of the game

The worst was Miss St playing hack a shaq and sending TN to the free throw line not near the basket. Some of the dumbest fouling I’ve seen

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yup.... It was a fight over who wanted to lose
Some highlights:

-90 sec remaining in regulation. MSST leads 68-65, Tennessee ball. Tenn misses a jumper and Franklin (Tenn) falls onto D. Carter (MSST) jockeying for the rebound, and they both end up on the floor. Purcell goes nuts and gets a technical. So 2 FTs for foul, 2 FTs for technical and Tenn ball. Tenn ties it going 3-4 from the line, and no one else scores going into overtime 68-68

-37 sec left in 1st OT. MSST leads 78-74. Turnover by Tennessee and Hayes gets the steal and is given a 2 handed shove from behind by Jordan Walker. 2 FTs plus the ball. This should be game, right? Hayes misses both FTs, Jackson (Tenn) gets a steal on their inbound play and gets fouled. 2 FTs made cuts MSST lead to 78-76

-25 sec left in 1st OT. MSST leads 78-76. Tenn fouls Jerkaila Jordan (MSST) to stop the clock and off to the FT line she goes...and proceeds to miss both. Tenn gets the rebound and ties the game at 78. MSST ball with 15 sec left and they turn it over with 1s left on the clock.
Ok, massive chock by MSST. They had Tenn dead in the water and did everything they could (4 straight missed FTs and 2 TOs in 30+ sec) to give the game away. I figure that Tenn will take advantage and now run away with it, but...

-90 sec left in 2nd OT. MSST leads 87-81 after a 9-0 run. So what do they do? They foul Tenn on the inbound play and Tenn gets to points via FTs with no time off the clock. Defensive stop by Tenn and another foul by MSST. Tenn makes 1-2 FTs grabs the miss and gets fouled again. Goes 1-2 from the line.

-24 sec left in 2nd OT. MSST leads 89-85. MSST inexplicably fouls AGAIN before the ball is inbounded, giving Tenn another 2pts from the FT line. 89-87 MSST.

-7 sec left in 2nd OT. MSST leads 90-87. Jordan puts the game away with 1-2 FTs. (All that's left now is a foul on a made 3 pointer by Tennessee to give them yet another chance)

-0 sec left in 2nd OT. Jackson makes a 3. MSST opts to be nowhere near her realizing that they had already won unless they shot themselves in the foot.

Really just an awful sequence of bad decision making, missed FTs, brain farts, poor coaching, turnovers.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Tennessee will still finish 3rd in the SEC, get a double bye, play Arkansas and then play LSU for the right to get to the final. It is plausible for Tennessee to finish strong and 2nd in the SEC, yet with 11 losses. As this is year 4 of KJH tenure, she has 4 years left on the contract extension she signed last year until 2027 with the next few years at $1 million per season but she does have a $1 Million buyout.
I just don't see the AD buying her out this year. While her HS recruiting has been abysmal, she did well in the Portal last year and will have to do very well this offseason.

2 Things not really related:
1. Kellie needs to make staff changes and hire a highly offensive scheme minded coach which means she probably needs to let go of her husband on staff-why? This new coach needs to be #2 right behind Kellie not having her husband in the way.
2. If TN does decide to move on, stop with the delusion of Jeff Walz. Hiring an offensive minded head coach who would relish the $1-1.4 million a year salary is the question. To me, there is only one choice- Jennie Baranczyk who is only making $550K per year, has a great offensive mind and would be able to use the Lady Vol name to augment her great coaching skills for the recruiting.

Reaction Score
Tennessee will still finish 3rd in the SEC, get a double bye, play Arkansas and then play LSU for the right to get to the final. It is plausible for Tennessee to finish strong and 2nd in the SEC, yet with 11 losses. As this is year 4 of KJH tenure, she has 4 years left on the contract extension she signed last year until 2027 with the next few years at $1 million per season but she does have a $1 Million buyout.
I just don't see the AD buying her out this year. While her HS recruiting has been abysmal, she did well in the Portal last year and will have to do very well this offseason.

1. Kellie needs to make staff changes and hire a highly offensive scheme minded coach which means she probably needs to let go of her husband on staff-why? This new coach needs to be #2 right behind Kellie not having her husband in the way.
2. If TN does decide to move on, stop with the delusion of Jeff Walz. Hiring an offensive minded head coach who would relish the $1-1.4 million a year salary is the question. To me, there is only one choice- Jennie Baranczyk who is only making $550K per year, has a great offensive mind and would be able to use the Lady Vol name to augment her great coaching skills for the recruiting.
has TN ever had a focused offensive scheme? noy even when pat was there yes walz is a delusion TN will never pay the money he is now making

Reaction Score

But

Can Tennessee fire Kellie if she limps into the Sweet 16? That would sent a warning message to up and coming coaches along with no sophomores or juniors to speak of,

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
But

Can Tennessee fire Kellie if she limps into the Sweet 16? That would sent a warning message to up and coming coaches along with no sophomores or juniors to speak of,
Like I said, I don't see Tennessee firing her at all this year. With a fairly bare roster and no recruits for the fall, after next year, I see no such qualms to move on. I think the good news is the University did kind of insulate themselves with the $1 million buyout, regardless of years remaining so it might just be a matter of when, not if.

The real problem with waiting is not getting the right coach into the situation. Like I said, Tennessee is not going to behave like LSU and pay up for truly established coach. I really like my idea of Jennie Baranczyk for them. She's had success at Drake and now at Oklahoma, has an offensive philosophy which is counter to most programs in the SEC. The question is "does the programs shadow of Pat still weigh too much"?

Reaction Score
But

they will keep her i think athletic dept expectations are different than the fan base there

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom