Tenn. has hired.... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Tenn. has hired....

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Not sure what you mean by “low risk.” It’s been 7 years since TN made an E8 game. HS kids weren’t even in kindergarten when they last made a F4. If this hire doesn’t succeed, Vols will be irrelevant on a national stage.

Yep. The pool of elite recruits who have the Lady Vols as their "childhood favorite" or "dream program" will have dwindled to almost zilch if the new head coach doesn't turn things around quickly.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I think it will depend on can she get the right players? It is a different style. I also think basketball is becoming more fast paced game,

Reaction Score
Not sure what you mean by “low risk.” It’s been 7 years since TN made an E8 game. HS kids weren’t even in kindergarten when they last made a F4. If this hire doesn’t succeed, Vols will be irrelevant on a national stage.

I was about to ask this question

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
BTW Caldwell coached at Marshall last year. Marshall did beat Florida 91-88.

Reaction Score
BTW Caldwell coached at Marshall last year. Marshall did beat Florida 91-88.
Florida also lost to Kentucky and Georgia this past season.

As for Marshall, they lost to...Wake Forest.

Reaction Score
I understand your point of view. But, I see it as a very high-risk hire because everyone knows she is inexperienced and is being hired with the goal of restoring the Lady Vols program to a level of competing for championships. Odds are she gets at least 3 years to try to turn things around (which won't really even be with a roster full of players she recruited). If it doesn't pan out, that sets the program back another few steps as they fall further behind South Carolina and LSU and other programs (like Kentucky and Ole Miss) who might surge during those initial 3 years of her tenure.
Great points and we shall see what happens.

Reaction Score
The Lady Vols may not have reached an E8 round in a minute but they are still the Lady Vols. They have reached the NCAA tournament, shockingly but the bottom line, they have been in the NCAA. This year, Coach Caldwell is hitting the transfer portal hard. I took a peek at the Lady Vols roster. They are down to 7-8 players, so I am sure Coach will be dipping into the portal pool. Like with any hire, it will take a minute and if it works out, which I know it will, the Lady Vols will be in the thick of the SEC top layer.

Reaction Score
Let me say this with respect to this hire because I've had some more time to think about it. The platooning system may work or it may not. The recruiting may improve or it may not. Tennessee may get back to the Final Four in five years or they may not. But it's important to look at what's transpired here. A 35ish-year-old rising star coach saw what was happening at Tennessee (stagnation and a dip in results) and threw her hat in the ring, ultimately landing the job. In other words, a young coach was willing to sacrifice her future for this position (because if it doesn't work out, then there won't be too many P4 teams beating down her door immediately--she'd have to prove herself again at a lower level). That takes major guts, and I do applaud Kim Caldwell for that.

Reaction Score
I agree with those saying that this hire came with tremendous risk. However, UConn once hired a coach with zero head coaching experience and we know how that turned out. My concern is that the Vols won’t have the patience to see this through. She might need a couple of years and the fans want perfection now.
Totally different situation there, of course -- apples & oranges. When Geno was hired, back in the dark ages of women's basketball, the UConn program was nowhere, in terms of visibility, success, university resources, etc., as was the sport of women's basketball as a whole. Completely different situation for TN in 2024: they've already once had a proud and winning program, and they sit within a sport that now has great visibility and interest, more "stars" all the time, etc. The idea that this would be a good scenario to bring in somebody with all of one year of D1 coaching experience, not in a major conference, is just nuts. As a friend of mine said of the hire, "So who does she know?"

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
How dare you disrespect the 7 people who were watching the game while using the indoor track that surrounded the court.
I used to peek in from time to time in between sets lifting.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
A couple of points. Kim has to get a roster of players. Tenn does not have enough right now. She needs a coaching staff and someone who can recruit. The portal is fine but she needs to recruit too and recruit players 2+ years out. It will be tuff. Building a coaching staff and a team isnt easy especially when the donors want their monies going to Football and Mens BB. She will need to find donors who support her and the LVs.

Coaching? She has to take charge and not let the player run the team. It will take discipline and courage. She can not let players rule the team and if they do get rid of them. She has to let them know she is in charge at all costs. She will be rebuilding the LVs. She has to be tuff. She has a very good record to run on and she will need help. Hiring the right coaching staff must be number 1.

I wish her luck. I think she will surprise alot of fans and with that said it wont happen right away.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
A couple of points. Kim has to get a roster of players. Tenn does not have enough right now. She needs a coaching staff and someone who can recruit. The portal is fine but she needs to recruit too and recruit players 2+ years out. It will be tuff. Building a coaching staff and a team isnt easy especially when the donors want their monies going to Football and Mens BB. She will need to find donors who support her and the LVs.

Coaching? She has to take charge and not let the player run the team. It will take discipline and courage. She can not let players rule the team and if they do get rid of them. She has to let them know she is in charge at all costs. She will be rebuilding the LVs. She has to be tuff. She has a very good record to run on and she will need help. Hiring the right coaching staff must be number 1.

I wish her luck. I think she will surprise alot of fans and with that said it wont happen right away.
From what she has done as a coach so far. I would say she has a plan. You don't have that kind of success by accident. I think she will get it done.

Reaction Score

Some one asked coach. If her style can translate into the SEC. Answer I wouldn't be here if I didn't think it could.

Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t this what Mathew Mitchell did at Kentucky, but hey I figure what the heck, she must have interviewed well and now her work begins.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t this what Mathew Mitchell did at Kentucky, but hey I figure what the heck, she must have interviewed well and now her work begins.
I don't think the style from Caldwell and Mitchell are the same. There maybe some things similar. I think they are also different.
Yes she has a lot to do now. She said in the presser "I have never taken a job were the expectations are not high."

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
She said in the presser "I have never taken a job were the expectations are not high."
The expectations were high at Marshall? Do you actually believe that? Expectations now are exponentially higher.

Per wiki, Marshall's only previous Tourney appearance was '97 and last conference title was '89. Nope, no expectations at a school with a history like that. Coach speak, or pretty close to lying.

Reaction Score
Ummm, this is a board run by UCONN people, please respect Shea Ralph. LOLOLOL!!!!
And Shae Ralph. Sorry ‘bout that. She’s actually one of my favorites. I love watching her team play.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
The expectations were high at Marshall? Do you actually believe that? Expectations now are exponentially higher.

Per wiki, Marshall's only previous Tourney appearance was '97 and last conference title was '89. Nope, no expectations at a school with a history like that. Coach speak, or pretty close to lying.
At Marshall it was about turning the program around. Yes they expectations are higher at Tennessee. Plus she moved up from a lower level program.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom