Tenn. has hired.... | The Boneyard

Tenn. has hired....

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Kim Caldwell as their new head coach. She spent this season at Marshall.
I'd love to hear reactions from LadyVol fans.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think this could be a great hire or an awful one. Her track record, though limited, is quite successful at D2 and her 1 season at Marshall. Based on this, the positive is that I assume she knows how to coach basketball and coach college aged women.

The downside is she has no experience for the other logistics required to run a storied P5 program with a huge fan base and high expectations. She'll need to learn quickly how to recruit high level athletes and manage them in the new world of NIL. She's also joining a conference that is insanely loaded with top tier coaches, which means you're recruiting against them, game planning against them and have to make in game changes against them. For starters, next year the SEC will have Dawn Staley, Kim Mulkey, Vic Schafer, Kenny Brooks as proven goliaths, plus a slew of "up and coming" coaches, all of whom have proven track records at smaller schools or ample experience in major programs. Caldwell is going to be the lone outlier in the conference.

Do I think Tennessee could've found a much better candidate? 100% yes. This seems like a hire you'd take a chance on if you're a bottom feeder P5 program that fired a coach who couldn't turn around a program.

That said, if she's a great basketball coach and can quickly learn the other aspects like recruiting and handling the pressure, it could work out well. Have low expectations but will support her and root for her success.

Reaction Score
Do I think Tennessee could've found a much better candidate? 100% yes. This seems like a hire you'd take a chance on if you're a bottom feeder P5 program that fired a coach who couldn't turn around a program.

That said, if she's a great basketball coach and can quickly learn the other aspects like recruiting and handling the pressure, it could work out well. Have low expectations but will support her and root for her success.
I feel this all around. While I know none of the “big” names were coming to save the LVs, I can’t believe this is the best they could do.

That being said it could turn out well. I just don’t think this is someone you fired Harper to bring in. It makes me wonder just what went down between DW and KJH.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
70BA4901-C435-4862-A206-2E55AE58F58B.jpeg

Reaction Score
I don’t think this is a great hire for them but I guess we’ll see. Only 1 year of experience in Div I is the biggest issue I see. Coaching and recruiting at TN, who plays in the SEC, is a lot different from doing it at even the best Div II level, let alone at a low level Div I school. She better surround herself with some good assistant coaches.

Reaction Score
This is definitely thinking outside of the box. That's the SUM of all my thoughts. Good luck and patience.

Reaction Score
Most of their fans wanted an established coach who could bring some players with her. It doesn't appear that Caldwell is that coach. There really isn't much talent on their roster. Unless their new coach can bring in a boatload of transfers, Tennessee will not be making the NCAAT next year.

Reaction Score
I think VN had high expectations for a new coach. They hoped the AD would open the wallet and they could attract Dawn Staley, Becky Hammond, Niele Ivey and more. Why would Dawn leave South Carolina? She built the program. (Congrats to Dawn and SC on their national championship)
Hopefully they will support the new coach.

Reaction Score
I do like this hire because it gives the Lady Vols a fresh sight of eyes, unless there is some six degrees of the late Pat Summit. I wish Coach Caldwell all the best with Tennessee.
It definitely signals RESET loud and clear.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Congrats to the AD for going outside the Summitt coaching tree. This had to happen.

Let's see if the portal has any LV's in it in the next few days. If the new coach likes up tempo, high powered offense and a pressing defense, she has a lot of recruiting to do.

Reaction Score
Losing to SC by 2 is not a bad result, wonder why they need to fire her. The new coach will not bring in new recruits more effectively. Even if she does, it will take more years to reestablish the program than the time they have to Kelly, and to get win over dawn/sc and Mulkey/LSU will be tall tale for the new coach. Also the coaching psychology for elite players really need complete skill sets at different level.

Reaction Score
She’s got to coach and recruit against Dawn Staley, Kim Mulkey, Vic Schaefer, Coach Yo, Kenny Brooks…. Whew! Good luck.
Please say this louder for those in the back!!!!!!! :D

Good for her for capitalizing on the NCAA berth (no small feat for her previous school), but BAYBEE--she's going to receive baptism by FIRE!

Hope she can snag a young hot-shot recruiter who can sell sand to camels.

Reaction Score
I agree with those saying that this hire came with tremendous risk. However, UConn once hired a coach with zero head coaching experience and we know how that turned out. My concern is that the Vols won’t have the patience to see this through. She might need a couple of years and the fans want perfection now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom