Tell me how to keep my back from hurting on flights | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Tell me how to keep my back from hurting on flights

Reaction Score
Well-acquainted with CBD/THC. I use that instead of any OTC pain or anti-inflammatories on a day-to-day basis. Hesistant to try to sneak that onto a plane.
Got it.. Sounds like a pretty important trip. You never know with International Flights/Customs. Wife and I take multiple vitamins/supplements on a daily basis--15 in AM/ 7 in PM-- When we travel (primarily domestically).. We package them in plastic bags and out of their plastic jars/containers for TSA and security to see.. Full disclosure.. Hiding nothing.. Never a problem.

Will leave it at that and hope you can put together a game plan that works for you. Safe travels.

Reaction Score
Obviously on a plane there's no place to do stretches where you have to lie down, but trips to the head will let you do some of these. And you can start in advance of your trip. Alternatively, I'd ask your doc for an Rx of muscle relaxers.
@husky429 storrsroars' suggestions, plus aisle seat enabling easily getting up to stretch. Plus, snag an extra pillow out of overhead compartment to rotate use for 1. lumbar support 2. alternated with sitting atop allowing slight bit more leg room.

In advance, check SeatGuru or SeatExpert sites to identify where you'll stretch. Also, check to see if your seat will have an electric outlet. If yes, buy/borrow a heating pad. If not, bring/use a few disposable heat pad gizmos.

Also in advance, adjust your sleep pattern a bit, try to force yourself to be tired, increase likelihood of sleeping more hours, and ease adjustment to JNB / SAST zone.

Generous of your grandfather-in-law. Bon voyage.

Reaction Score
You're about the last person here I expected to not look it up.
@chindiesel With rare exception, pretty much all North American flights to RSA and southern Africa fly fairly directly. Exceptions: Seattle, Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton departing flights head NE to easterly across Canada to the maritime provinces before hooking SE-ly to final destination. Looks odd, but decreases total flight miles.

Reaction Score
You can combine Iburprofen and acetaminophen (Advil and Tylenol). I find two of each is world’s more effective than one or the other alone. If you want to sleep too, just use the PM version of either.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Honestly. People suggesting over medicating plus booze. Yes, I endorse that as well. But the man flow Yoga stuff has the best chance of leaving you functional when you arrive. The flight is just day 1. So, maybe both?

Reaction Score
Do knee crunches, separate, sets of three. Also do series of arm stretches overhead. Repeat as needed during trip. Compile chest squeeze's, relax, do sets of three. All above can be done in your seat, especially if you have a vacant one next to you which often happens on long trips. Enjoy!

Reaction Score
Since we're on the topic of pillows and travel, I figured I'd shoot my shot and combine both. You people seem to have opinions on everything.

I have a 16-hour flight coming up in a little over a month. Going to South Africa/Zimbabwe/Botswana for a 5 weeks before my new job starts. I'll be doing some classwork for summer courses while I'm there, but it will mostly just be my delayed honeymoon.

I have flown internationally like 50x in my life and still haven't figured it out. Flights more than 5 hours or so start to KILL my back. It is miserable, and I dread it for weeks in advance of the trip. I've sustained some injuries grappling over the years and have really tight hips--I'm assuming that's what is causing the problems. Mostly my lower and middle back. I've resorted to eating Advil like M&Ms in the past. Big thing for me is drinking way more water than I think I need, and getting up to stretch/move every hour if I can. That's about all I know to do.

I can't afford to fly anything more than coach, so paying more for a better seat isn't an option.

Any advice? Recommended lumbar or neck pillows? Chemical solutions? Something to help me sleep? Idk I've got nothing... but I'm already dreading this flight!
High quality Fish Oil will likely eliminate the problem. Take on a daily basis and in most cases, back pain will be eliminated. Natural anti-inflammatory properties. Chief has been doing it 8 years and my back pain went away after a few weeks.
Moreover, no side affects.

Reaction Score
Exactly the flight we're making. Non-stop... I think it's United.

Jo-burg, Kruger, Vic Falls, and a gorilla trek in Botswana, then back to Cape Town to visit some colleagues of my wife's--then back home. And it's all paid for by my eccentric grandfather in law. Can't complain.
When I go in a year or two, I’m going to include shoe water rafting on Zambesi- incredible YouTube videos about it

Reaction Score
When I go in a year or two, I’m going to include shoe water rafting on Zambesi- incredible YouTube videos about it

I think we'll probably shell out the cash to go to Devil's Pool and take a helicopter ride above the falls. There's no shot my wife would enjoy paddling, lol. She runs every day, but is not an "Exercise is fun" person in the least haha.

I've never traveled anything but pretty shoestring before... we usually stay in relatively cheap airbnbs, cook most of our food, avoid the expensive tourist trappy stuff, etc. having people pay for a trip (and making double my current salary starting next year) is weird to me.

Reaction Score
Honestly. People suggesting over medicating plus booze. Yes, I endorse that as well. But the man flow Yoga stuff has the best chance of leaving you functional when you arrive. The flight is just day 1. So, maybe both?

I always assume day 1 of a trip will just be for walking around the neighborhood eating and forcing myself to deal with jet lag, so drinking on the plane isn't a big issue. I'm pretty cautious about mixing even OTC medications with liqour though.

Reaction Score
Two more ideas but not knowing your view of these modalities.. Massage therapy prior to the flight(s) could provide substantial relief from a muscular/structural perspective.. And have heard that hypnosis can assist with chronic back pain with the right combo of patient and professional.

Reaction Score
Best solution – high-quality Velcro back brace. You can adjust it and will relieve the pressure/compression between the disks and Low lumbar pain. They also have a version that can be heated.

Reaction Score
Best solution – high-quality Velcro back brace. You can adjust it and will relieve the pressure/compression between the disks and Low lumbar pain. They also have a version that can be heated.

Any recommendations? I've never used one.

This thread is turning me more and more into my father with every post.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I always assume day 1 of a trip will just be for walking around the neighborhood eating and forcing myself to deal with jet lag, so drinking on the plane isn't a big issue. I'm pretty cautious about mixing even OTC medications with liqour though.
Yeah, I don't mind drinking on planes, especially when I need to sleep. Just saying it's not an actual solution. The nice thing about some of the yoga moves is that you can just do them in the hotel room. Helps. I don't do it often enough, and when I do I always wonder why I don't do it more. Back always feels better, and hips.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I don't mind drinking on planes, especially when I need to sleep. Just saying it's not an actual solution. The nice thing about some of the yoga moves is that you can just do them in the hotel room. Helps. I don't do it often enough, and when I do I always wonder why I don't do it more. Back always feels better, and hips.

Started 30 days of yoga yesterday!

Reaction Score
Hard to say. Take an NSAID before the flight. 800mg of ibuprofen. You have to do it before you fly. Preemptive analgesia.

Reaction Score
Tylenol PM was the only thing that made my 9 hour flight last summer bearable. I had forgotten about it. Adding that to my list.
I been to Europe a few times.. a PM and a strong vodka drink helps big time....

Reaction Score
I been to Europe a few times.. a PM and a strong vodka drink helps big time....

I think the farthest I've flown at a time was maybe 13 hours to Bangkok, but I was also younger and relatively pain-free. That length of trip terrifies me now lol

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom