Tell me how to keep my back from hurting on flights | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tell me how to keep my back from hurting on flights

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I have a theragun I use all the time for the gym. That's actually a solid idea.
Theragun is great (and pricey!); my daughter got me the much less expensive Brookstone one for my birthday a couple months ago and shortly thereafter I strained my calf muscle so I’ve been using it daily while I rehab and it’s done the job fine for my purposes.

The reason I thought of bringing it on the plane is that I brought it to DC this past weekend and our checked bag was a pound or two over the weight limit so I put it in my messenger bag and carried it on the plane. I wondered if I would get questioned about it going through security but they didn’t say anything.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
On a side not as someone who has never flown anywhere near that direction, how do airlines fly to the southern tip of Africa?

Do they go south through the Caribbean and South American and then shoot across the Atlantic and then hug Africa's west coast?
You're about the last person here I expected to not look it up.

Reaction Score
Theragun is great (and pricey!); my daughter got me the much less expensive Brookstone one for my birthday a couple months ago and shortly thereafter I strained my calf muscle so I’ve been using it daily while I rehab and it’s done the job fine for my purposes.

The reason I thought of bringing it on the plane is that I brought it to DC this past weekend and our checked bag was a pound or two over the weight limit so I put it in my messenger bag and carried it on the plane. I wondered if I would get questioned about it going through security but they didn’t say anything.

I use an off-brand too--they're all the same thing. I think mine is called lifepro or something. I love mine--I use it maybe 10-20 minutes 5x a week after the gym and it will last a good month or more before needing to be charged.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I never would have guesses that route going across the ocean that long. But I guess with Bermuda along the path and then the Leeward islands on eastern tip of Caribbean and then Verde islands off west coast of Africa that is the route.

Reaction Score

Exactly the flight we're making. Non-stop... I think it's United.

Jo-burg, Kruger, Vic Falls, and a gorilla trek in Botswana, then back to Cape Town to visit some colleagues of my wife's--then back home. And it's all paid for by my eccentric grandfather in law. Can't complain.

Reaction Score
I'm with storrs roars. I fly long distance a lot (currently in Moldova). Stretch as much as possible before the flight, get up and stand whenever possible, and muscle relaxants to loosen up or Ambien to sleep through the flight. Also, for me, no booze while fly

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I strained my calf muscle so I’ve been using it daily while I rehab and it’s done the job fine for my purposes.
Wuss. Get in the game!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Tylenol PM was the only thing that made my 9 hour flight last summer bearable. I had forgotten about it. Adding that to my list.
Have you tried Aleve? I think it might help backs better than Tylenol. Again, it's all about what works for you.

Reaction Score
Have you tried Aleve? I think it might help backs better than Tylenol. Again, it's all about works for you.

I usually just use the tylenol PM because it puts me to sleep. I wonder if some benadryl and an aleve would do the trick?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Since we're on the topic of pillows and travel, I figured I'd shoot my shot and combine both. You people seem to have opinions on everything.

I have a 16-hour flight coming up in a little over a month. Going to South Africa/Zimbabwe/Botswana for a 5 weeks before my new job starts. I'll be doing some classwork for summer courses while I'm there, but it will mostly just be my delayed honeymoon.

I have flown internationally like 50x in my life and still haven't figured it out. Flights more than 5 hours or so start to KILL my back. It is miserable, and I dread it for weeks in advance of the trip. I've sustained some injuries grappling over the years and have really tight hips--I'm assuming that's what is causing the problems. Mostly my lower and middle back. I've resorted to eating Advil like M&Ms in the past. Big thing for me is drinking way more water than I think I need, and getting up to stretch/move every hour if I can. That's about all I know to do.

I can't afford to fly anything more than coach, so paying more for a better seat isn't an option.

Any advice? Recommended lumbar or neck pillows? Chemical solutions? Something to help me sleep? Idk I've got nothing... but I'm already dreading this flight!
My only advice is to stretch the hell our of everything before you get on the plane, and drink lots of water. Flying is dehydrating, and dehydrated muscles get stiff. I don't think there is another solution really.

I like the Pidgeon stretch. Also these.

Reaction Score
They do have a Aleve PM model as well.

Definitely gonna try that. I generally avoid painkillers, but always seem to default to ibuprofen.

Side note for the kids: don't do combat sports if you want to have a functioning spine after 35. It isn't worth it.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Shout out to GSH "Say what's the word?"

Reaction Score
Don't know if you're inclined to check out or not.. But having just gotten back from a trip to Colo. and with the relatively new status of CT re: CBD products-oils/lotions/tablets.. Am reminded of the pain relief value of those products. Have many friends who I would consider to be "straight" who enthusiastically use those products for their medical well-being-sleep aids-pain relief.

Funny story-But true. My son had a Lab who tore his ACL playing Frisbee with the kids at a young age. Never had it fixed because of the cost of repair job (his choice). So Buzzy had a limp and was a bit challenged with mobility as a result. We visit them in Denver a few years ago and Buzzy is bouncing around like a young pup.. Happy and playful.. I ask my son . "What's up with Buzzy? Haven't seen him this happy and energetic since he was a pup." Answer: Put CBD oil in his dog food per recommendation of their vet. Who knew?

Reaction Score
Flexibility =/= strength. Strength in my hips and lower back is the problem... and yoga would probably help. I should do that 30 day Yoga with Adrienne thing on youtube.
Yoga is good advice even though I don't do it. It sounds like you're an athlete. I'm a big proponent of weight training especially as you get older and it's most inportant for elderly people. You're young which is the best time to develop it to ward off future problems. I've had some nagging injuries (shoulder and knees) since Covid but the one thing that's never hurt me in my life is my back, it's the basis for everything and has always been the main focus of my workouts over the years. If you have a strong thick back, you'll have a healthy back.

Something as simple as posture is so important. So many people are put into bad posture just from sitting, the natural inclination for the body is to slump your shoulders forward when sitting, especially at a desk. Getting a stronger back will naturally pull you back and retract your scapula and you fall into a neutral spine position. My mom has sciatica and stenosis which is bringing her forward. I'm doing everything to get her to get back to the physical therapist for weight training and to always be thinking to pull herself back when she's standing and sitting because her body is telling her to go forward which makes everything worse.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Shout out to GSH "Say what's the word?"
He actually played Storrs once in '77 IIRC. Sort of hybrid lecture/performance. In the Student Union no less. Sparsely attended if you can believe it. Glad I went, but couldn't convince anyone to go with. And yes, he played that, with a singalong.

Reaction Score
Don't know if you're inclined to check out or not.. But having just gotten back from a trip to Colo. and with the relatively new status of CT re: CBD products-oils/lotions/tablets.. Am reminded of the pain relief value of those products. Have many friends who I would consider to be "straight" who enthusiastically use those products for their medical well-being-sleep aids-pain relief.

Funny story-But true. My son had a Lab who tore his ACL playing Frisbee with the kids at a young age. Never had it fixed because of the cost of repair job (his choice). So Buzzy had a limp and was a bit challenged with mobility as a result. We visit them in Denver a few years ago and Buzzy is bouncing around like a young pup.. Happy and playful.. I ask my son . "What's up with Buzzy? Haven't seen him this happy and energetic since he was a pup." Answer: Put CBD oil in his dog food per recommendation of their vet. Who knew?

Well-acquainted with CBD/THC. I use that instead of any OTC pain or anti-inflammatories on a day-to-day basis. Hesistant to try to sneak that onto a plane.

Reaction Score
Yoga is good advice even though I don't do it. It sounds like you're an athlete. I'm a big proponent of weight training especially as you get older and it's most inportant for elderly people. You're young which is the best time to develop it to ward off future problems. I've had some nagging injuries (shoulder and knees) since Covid but the one thing that's never hurt me in my life is my back, it's the basis for everything and has always been the main focus of my workouts over the years. If you have a strong thick back, you'll have a healthy back.

Something as simple as posture is so important. So many people are put into bad posture just from sitting, the natural inclination for the body is to slump your shoulders forward when sitting, especially at a desk. Getting a stronger back will naturally pull you back and retract your scapula and you fall into a neutral spine position. My mom has sciatica and stenosis which is bringing her forward. I'm doing everything to get her to get back to the physical therapist for weight training and to always be thinking to pull herself back when she's standing and sitting because her body is telling her to go forward which makes everything worse.

I wouldn't say I'm an athlete. More that if you're willing to be punched in the face, SOMEONE will let you do it for entertainment lol.

You're right though. I've been pretty lax with lifting since they closed foe covid. I need to get back in there

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
He actually played Storrs once in '77 IIRC. Sort of hybrid lecture/performance. In the Student Union no less. Sparsely attended if you can believe it. Glad I went, but couldn't convince anyone to go with. And yes, he played that, with a singalong.
Unfortunately. I never got a chance to see him. That line is one of my favorites. I've never been to Jberg either. It's on the list. Btw, have you ever seen Searching for Sugar Man. Great movie about Rodriguez and his popularity in South Africa. @husky429 I hope you find relief. I think those yoga stretches will help. Enjoy your belated honeymoon and give us the deets when you get back.

Reaction Score
I am 6'8 with proportionately long legs at that. I just barely fit into exit row/extended leg room seats. The only answer is to pick an aisle seat and get up and walk up and down the plane every hour that you're awake. It's not a perfect solution but it's the best strategy I've found.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Well-acquainted with CBD/THC. I use that instead of any OTC pain or anti-inflammatories on a day-to-day basis. Hesistant to try to sneak that onto a plane.
C'mon! What's the worst that could happen?

Reaction Score
A couple yoga poses that I do whenever my back is tight:

Rag doll: Bend over holding opposite elbows and then slowly sway back and forth

Cobra arms: Fold your arms so one elbow is on top of the other. I'm not flexible enough to do this, so resting the elbow on the foreman as close to the other elbow is good enough. Hold for about ten seconds. Repeat on other side.

Forgot what it's called: Reach one hand behind your back to touch the opposite shoulder blade and lean your head to the opposite side. Hold for about ten seconds. Repeat on other side.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom