TE coach to CCSU head coach? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

TE coach to CCSU head coach?

Reaction Score
Allows this? Are you drunk?
LOL.... This reminds my of my favorite Albert Collins song. Just having fun Happy New Year gentlemen.
albert collins im not drunk im just drinking - Google Search

We're talking about losing our best state recruiter, the one with deepest ties to the high school coaching system. Virtually Connecticut coaching royalty. He would be a huge loss for our program.
Pal with all due respect, I know you have been around awhile. But, but and it is a big but, did not many proclaim Paul Pasqualoni as our in state savior and messiah??? How well did that put a head on our beer?
I'm not going to proclaim anyone of being clueless or stupid. I prefer to think Jim Mora has a clue on how to recruit and will trust in him and his name along with personality to keep those home that may want to do so. That and maintain a good coaching staff with the ability to recruit in state as well as out.

Reaction Score
Regardless , the latest report has him leaving for CCSU as unlikely

Reaction Score
Good, just another stupid hill you want to make a stand on. First, we can’t raise his salary thirty grand and not raise the salary of others on the staff who we think are more important and now wouldn’t make more than him. Second, and more importantly, you think there are many young D-1 assistants who don’t want to be a head coach some day?

No, I said something completely reasonable. That we shouldn't let Marinella get away. The responses range from the sublime to the ridiculous.

Can't raise his salary? Of course we can. We can also give him another title and greater responsibility.

Second, yes, assistants want to become head coaches. But many wait until the right opportunity comes along. They don't all jump at the first chance that appears. What an bizarre and provable wrong assertion. But that is what you are suggesting Marinelli should do and that we shouldn't try to keep him. Besides, he will have many equivalent or better opportunities than CCCU in the future especially if he can be part of the group that revived UConn football.

Third, you keep, ignoring that Marinelli is a special case. He has more value at UConn than almost any other place. Connecticut is his home. He comes from a long line of important Connecticut high school coaches. He has credibility here and can relay his experience to potential UConn recruits. When he speaks of the value of staying home, he is not only talking about the recruit, he is talking about himself.

I'm not dying on any hill. It's just common sense. Surprised you can't see it.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Third, you keep, ignoring that Marinelli is a special case. He has more value at UConn than almost any other place. Connecticut is his home.

I understand what you are trying to say and agree that his recruiting ability in the state is important and valuable. However, the last I looked, New Britain is still in CT.

I don't want him to leave and also feel it may not be in his best interest but how many D1 programs are in this state?

Reaction Score
Third, you keep, ignoring that Marinelli is a special case. He has more value at UConn than almost any other place. Connecticut is his home.

I understand what you are trying to say and agree that his recruiting ability in the state is important and valuable. However, the last I looked, New Britain is still in CT.

I don't want him to leave and also feel it may not be in his best interest but how many D1 programs are in this state?

The idea that UConn and Central are in the same football universe (although they are in the same state) is not correct. Marinella has way more value at UConn than he does at Central. CCCU does indeed have a head coaching job. It would be a good job for a high school coach stepping up or a D3 coach trying to repair his reputation. Hell, it's a good spot for a guy like Pasquoloni who is at the end of career and wants a pillow to nap on. That situation would benefit both. But suggesting Marinelli can enhance his career more at Central than as an assistant at UConn, I think it's more likely he could harm his career with a stint at Central, especially since Mora is a rocket ship.

Reaction Score
The idea that UConn and Central are in the same football universe (although they are in the same state) is not correct. Marinella has way more value at UConn than he does at Central. CCCU does indeed have a head coaching job. It would be a good job for a high school coach stepping up or a D3 coach trying to repair his reputation. Hell, it's a good spot for a guy like Pasquoloni who is at the end of career and wants a pillow to nap on. That situation would benefit both. But suggesting Marinelli can enhance his career more at Central than as an assistant at UConn, I think it's more likely he could harm his career with a stint at Central, especially since Mora is a rocket ship.
In all honesty, if you look at the trajectory of Rossomando this isn't that far off.

I think that Marinelli would be better for Central than Central would be for Marinelli.

This is a job for Chris Pincine or Joe Loth or someone similar to step into and have success.

Reaction Score
We can all speculate but Marinelli will make choices based on what's important to him and his family and what's best for long term career success. Maybe even without our input.

Look at his history. Played for and then coached with his father before taking the head coaching job nearby at his father's biggest rival. Then two years in Arizona and one in Illinois as an analyst before joining UConn for his first college coaching job. He and his wife have a son that will be two years old in April.

So, what's most important for him? Family, stability, steady growth in his job or becoming as young a college Head Coach as he possibly can?

It looked like family/stability until he broke away from CT to take the jobs in Arizona and Illinois. But, if he only cared about his career would he have left Illinois and the B1G for UConn after one year?

He's doing well in his first college coaching job but building and managing a program is light years more complex than coaching a position and using his contacts to help recruit the state. He knows that and he knows how much he can learn from JM.

So, unless he's been told there will be no pay raises at UConn, does he leave to build and run a college program with limited resources in order to get a $30,000 raise?

My guess is he'd discuss any opportunities with his father, and with JM, and not jump at his first chance to be a head coach. Sometimes the best move is no move.

Reaction Score
In all honesty, if you look at the trajectory of Rossomando this isn't that far off.

I think that Marinelli would be better for Central than Central would be for Marinelli.

This is a job for Chris Pincine or Joe Loth or someone similar to step into and have success.

100% - Despite the small budget and "perception" of CCSU, this is a FCS HEAD COACHING position that requires a lot more qualifications than what Marinelli has right now. We need someone who has been a college HC or coordinator - preferable someone who spent some years at a FCS or FBS school with some significant responsibilities outside of recruiting. The #1 priority will be building staff and support structure with limited resources. Managing all aspects of a football program is a lot work even at this level.

The Central job isn't a bad one for the "right guy" - the last 4 head coaches have all won a NEC Championship during their tenure.

Tom Masella - 2004, 2005
Jeff McInerney - 2009, 2010
Pete Rossomondo - 2017
Ryan McCarthy - 2019

All these guys were D-I coordinators before getting the job in New Britain. You can absolutely win at CCSU and go on to other D-I jobs. It isn't as bad as some have suggested and it would be a HUGE OPPORTUNITY for a guy like Marinelli.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The kid has aspirations beyond being a position coach.

Assistant coaches move around all over the country at all levels to fill in blanks in their resume.

Think strategically for UConn.

Send him off to by an HC at a low stress school to get his feet wet. After a few years, he becomes a coordinator at D1 school and then he is ready to jump back to being an HC. Maybe even be ready to becme an HC at UConn in 5-7 years.

Reaction Score
100% - Despite the small budget and "perception" of CCSU, this is a FCS HEAD COACHING position that requires a lot more qualifications than what Marinelli has right now. We need someone who has been a college HC or coordinator - preferable someone who spent some years at a FCS or FBS school with some significant responsibilities outside of recruiting. The #1 priority will be building staff and support structure with limited resources. Managing all aspects of a football program is a lot work even at this level.

The Central job isn't a bad one for the "right guy" - the last 4 head coaches have all won a NEC Championship during their tenure.

Tom Masella - 2004, 2005
Jeff McInerney - 2009, 2010
Pete Rossomondo - 2017
Ryan McCarthy - 2019

All these guys were D-I coordinators before getting the job in New Britain. You can absolutely win at CCSU and go on to other D-I jobs. It isn't as bad as some have suggested and it would be a HUGE OPPORTUNITY for a guy like Marinelli.
I think it’s a good job. Nice stadium, decent recruiting base for fcs and my wife, and father are grads, I grew up 2 miles away and my dad worked there, so I am not unbiased and have some personal relationships in athletics.

I hope that program does well. They do a good job there with resources they have IMO.

Reaction Score
I think it’s a good job. Nice stadium, decent recruiting base for fcs and my wife, and father are grads, I grew up 2 miles away and my dad worked there, so I am not unbiased and have some personal relationships in athletics.

I hope that program does well. They do a good job there with resources they have IMO.

All true. But looking at career paths, the CCCU head coaching position is a job that gets you promoted to the D1 assistant coach level.

I am not concerned about Central at all. My interest is in the University of Connecticut football program. I believe it would be a mistake for UConn to let Marinelli walk. I have stated the reasons in numerous posts. I also believe UConn has the resources to keep him. And that in the long run, if Marinelli is an ambigious young man, time at UConn will serve him better than taking the head coaching job at Central.

I also believe everything I just posted is reasonable and well supported.

Reaction Score
DUH. Could you miss the point more completely?

We're talking about losing our best state recruiter, the one with deepest ties to the high school coaching system. Virtually Connecticut coaching royalty. He would be a huge loss for our program. For what 30 grand?

If we let him go, it's a stupid move on our part. I'm amazed the number of people on this site that seem clueless about the value of this particular assistant.

If he was going to a P5 school we probably wouldn't have a chance to keep him. But Central is a step down and potential graveyard. Hell, he could even become a thorn in our side. We're not stopping him from some golden opportunity. We would probably be helping his career from a potential misstep.

You think if he took the central head coaching job it’s because of 30k? And you I’m the one missing the point??!

My god

Reaction Score
All true. But looking at career paths, the CCCU head coaching position is a job that gets you promoted to the D1 assistant coach level.

I am not concerned about Central at all. My interest is in the University of Connecticut football program. I believe it would be a mistake for UConn to let Marinelli walk. I have stated the reasons in numerous posts. I also believe UConn has the resources to keep him. And that in the long run, if Marinelli is an ambigious young man, time at UConn will serve him better than taking the head coaching job at Central.

I also believe everything I just posted is reasonable and well supported.
I'll make one other point about "letting" Marinelli walk. Marinelli was in charge of Tight Ends. Please describe exactly how you think our Tight Ends did this year? I'm not saying it's the case, but if Marinelli wasn't tied in to Connecticut high school circles, would you recognize the possibility that an aggressive head coach trying to build up the program quickly might not be a huge fan of his first year here?

Reaction Score
LOL.... This reminds my of my favorite Albert Collins song. Just having fun Happy New Year gentlemen.
albert collins im not drunk im just drinking - Google Search

Pal with all due respect, I know you have been around awhile. But, but and it is a big but, did not many proclaim Paul Pasqualoni as our in state savior and messiah??? How well did that put a head on our beer?
I'm not going to proclaim anyone of being clueless or stupid. I prefer to think Jim Mora has a clue on how to recruit and will trust in him and his name along with personality to keep those home that may want to do so. That and maintain a good coaching staff with the ability to recruit in state as well as out.

Actually the Pasquoloni hiring was a mixed bag. It certainly was NOT universally praised. In fact, the whole Hathaway hiring process was criticisized for looking only at second stringers.

We both trust Mora. Don't forget, he is the one who hired Marinelli.

You don't think we should try to keep Marinelli? Just let him go?

Reaction Score
I'll make one other point about "letting" Marinelli walk. Marinelli was in charge of Tight Ends. Please describe exactly how you think our Tight Ends did this year? I'm not saying it's the case, but if Marinelli wasn't tied in to Connecticut high school circles, would you recognize the possibility that an aggressive head coach trying to build up the program quickly might not be a huge fan of his first year here?

That's a fair point about our TEs not doing much this year. However, one of our TEs did turn into our best young receiver.

But I am really posting about what I believe to be his value to the program in toto. Which, IMHO, is greater than the sum of his parts.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
If Marinelli were to leave, bring Cory back!!

Attachments

• Just kidding.jpg
    Just kidding.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 80
Reaction Score
He recruited Joly who was overlooked.

Reaction Score
Whoever Central names as HC, it would be great if they could make it into the Colonial soon.

Reaction Score
Typical that your tight ends coach is your recruiter. It is hardly the most complex position on the field to coach and you have what, 5 guys. That’s what Marinelli is in ours. I might also note that it has been maybe since Edsall‘s first run that we have had a receiving tight end who was a significant part of the offense. Maybe in P’s first year. So Marinelli’s performance isn’t much different from others who have held the job.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Typical that your tight ends coach is your recruiter. It is hardly the most complex position on the field to coach and you have what, 5 guys. That’s what Marinelli is in ours. I might also note that it has been maybe since Edsall‘s first run that we have had a receiving tight end who was a significant part of the offense. Maybe in P’s first year. So Marinelli’s performance isn’t much different from others who have held the job.
Ryan Griffin had 6 touchdowns in his junior year in 2012. Man to have that production again from that position.....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom