TE coach to CCSU head coach? | The Boneyard

TE coach to CCSU head coach?

Reaction Score
It is rumored that CCSU might be looking into taking our TE coach as their next head coach. Granted he did in a since deleted tweet say we had no CT recruits which isn’t true as we have 2 and a recently commited PWO to add to them

Reaction Score
Well… Terzi did break the Louisville to the ACC story years ago. Wouldn’t surprise me either way:

Reaction Score
If UConn allows this, it is clueless.
Why is that? If a company in your field of employment hired you lead be the CEO, you wouldn't take it? One of my best employee, told me about a job offer for a competing company and I told him it is a great job offer. I will miss him, but he's free to go.

Same with John, I will miss him, but CCSU head coach. It sounds like a great deal.

Reaction Score
Why is that? If a company in your field of employment hired you lead be the CEO, you wouldn't take it? One of my best employee, told me about a job offer for a competing company and I told him it is a great job offer. I will miss him, but he's free to go.

Same with John, I will miss him, but CCSU head coach. It sounds like a great deal.
Agreed, so long as that employee did all he could to fulfill his past and present responsibilities to the best of his ability and in doing so another "company", in this case, another University as Head Football Coach, went through proper channels and then offered him an opportunity to elevate his own chosen career field. So wish him well in all future endeavors and thank him for his loyal services.
Coach Mora is obviously instrumental in his coachs' career ascendancy. The running backs coach to Nebraska for one, and now perhaps Coach Marinelli to CCSU. The result? Young talented coaches departing, but more hungry young talented coaches will be attracted to Coach Mora's staff and may well be desirous to be part of it, and who knows, their hunger to succeed improving UConn Football may well exceed those that have departed.....

Reaction Score
If UConn allows this, it is clueless.
With all due respect what is clueless is your premise. How and why would UConn want to prevent a position coach from moving forward in his or her career? Most all position coaches get one year contracts, head coaches multiple.
If you think CCSU is going to take players from UConn, that is a much bigger issue that would most certainly have UConn football swirling around the drain.

Reaction Score
Marinelli will need a pay raise to stay at UConn. His salary is in the very low six figures if I recall correctly. For a guy with a family and the inconsistency of income that can come with a coaching career, he’ll be looking to double or triple that salary asap. Not sure what CCSU pays the head coach but I’m guessing 200k+.

Reaction Score
I think he has the potential to be a good fit at CCSU eventually, however a couple things to keep in mind right now

Obviously, I think he'd be an excellent evaluator and recruiter of HS talent for Central. Can he recruit from the Portal? Probably, but that has to be a priority for CCSU to compete at our level.

He has very limited college coaching experience - has never been a HC or coordinator at the college level (a qualification clearly set out for the CCSU job). Is he ready to be a CEO for a college program at the FCS level? Sure, this isn't a major program, but it is D-I and ideally we want to compete with CAA, Patriot, and Ivy teams.

Don't know what he makes at UConn, but the salary at CCSU is closer to $150k plus benefits. This is a low-budget job with very limited resources. It is a chance to lead a D-I college program, but it funded and supported much closer to a low-level D-II program. The challenges off the field are bigger than just recruiting and play calling. What kind of staff and support structure could he build from scratch? I'm just not sure this is a job that fits him well at this point in his career.

Some may remember a few years back, "outsiders" were pushing for controversial NBHS coach Jack Cochran. Instead, CCSU went with a journeyman college assistant Jeff McInerney and did quite well for about 5 years. Not sure of Terzie's "sources" but my gut is this is not the direction the AD is going right now.

Reaction Score
Marinelli will need a pay raise to stay at UConn. His salary is in the very low six figures if I recall correctly. For a guy with a family and the inconsistency of income that can come with a coaching career, he’ll be looking to double or triple that salary asap. Not sure what CCSU pays the head coach but I’m guessing 200k+.
Don't know what he makes at UConn, but the salary at CCSU is closer to $150k plus benefits. This is a low-budget job with very limited resources.

McCarthy made +/- $150k base @ CCSU in 2021

Reaction Score
Allows this? Are you drunk? Exactly how do schools prevent assistants from leaving and taking head coaching jobs elsewere? You think other schools prevent this?

How indeed? How could they ever prevent it?

You simply must let your best in state leave without ever giving a thought t how you might keep him. And yes, I think other schools work hard to keep their assistants all the time.

Reaction Score
LOL it’s never a bad thing when a successful program loses assistant coaches to head coaching opportunities. NEVER.

Might….might impact recruiting for a bit….but that’s more at the Power 5 level, a la ‘Bama losing assistant Charles Kelly to a coordinator role at CU.

I say Vaya Con Dios and get that coin while the getting is good.

Reaction Score

You simply must let your best in state leave without ever giving a thought t how you might keep him. And yes, I think other schools work hard to keep their assistants all the time.

Other schools also lose assistants all the time and it doesn’t make them clueless.

Reaction Score
I suspect this is a bad decision all around. Central is basically hiring the local high school coach as it’s head coach because of his name. They have been down this road before in hiring an inexperienced basketball coach for his name. I’d be surprised if they did it again, but not too surprised.

Reaction Score

Why in the world would you assume that we didn’t make a determination that, if he got this offer, that what it would take to keep him isn’t more than he’s worth to us?

Reaction Score
Other schools also lose assistants all the time and it doesn’t make them clueless.

DUH. Could you miss the point more completely?

We're talking about losing our best state recruiter, the one with deepest ties to the high school coaching system. Virtually Connecticut coaching royalty. He would be a huge loss for our program. For what 30 grand?

If we let him go, it's a stupid move on our part. I'm amazed the number of people on this site that seem clueless about the value of this particular assistant.

If he was going to a P5 school we probably wouldn't have a chance to keep him. But Central is a step down and potential graveyard. Hell, he could even become a thorn in our side. We're not stopping him from some golden opportunity. We would probably be helping his career from a potential misstep.

Reaction Score

We're talking about losing our best state recruiter, the one with deepest ties to the high school coaching system. Virtually Connecticut coaching royalty. He would be a huge loss for our program. For what 30 grand?

If we let him go, it's a stupid move on our part. I'm amazed the number of people on this site that seem clueless about the value of this particular assistant.

If he was going to a P5 school we probably wouldn't have a chance to keep him. But Central is a step down and potential graveyard. Hell, he could even become a thorn in our side. We're not stopping him from some golden opportunity. We would probably be helping his career from a potential misstep.
Good, just another stupid hill you want to make a stand on. First, we can’t raise his salary thirty grand and not raise the salary of others on the staff who we think are more important and now wouldn’t make more than him. Second, and more importantly, you think there are many young D-1 assistants who don’t want to be a head coach some day?

Reaction Score

His decision in this matter has zero to do with 30k.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Marinelli left Illinois, working for Bieliema to come here. If he's willing to move on to take CCSU's head coaching job there is something in play that we do not know.

Reaction Score
Marinelli left Illinois, working for Bieliema to come here. If he's willing to move on to take CCSU's head coaching job there is something in play that we do not know.
He left an analysis job to be a position coach and the program happened to be home for him as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom