Talent | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Talent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In the last 15 years, I can think only of three teams (2009 UConn, 2006 Florida, 2003 Syracuse) that were really young. Even with UConn, their central player was a senior who looked awful for large chunks of his sophomore year before really turning the corner.

And those teams are generally considered the weakest of the championships teams in that time period (along with 1998 Kentucky).

1999 UConn - Junior and Senior laden (with KEA as a soph)
2000 MSU - Senior laden
2001 Duke - many sophomores, but led by POY Shane Battier
2002 Maryland - nearly all seniors
2003 Syracuse - exception
2004 UConn - Juniors and seniors
2005 UNC - mostly juniors
2006 Florida - all the experienced 1 seeds save Nova fell apart. Their Final Four was George Mason and UCLA. Unimpressive.
2007 Florida - experienced Juniors
2008 Kansas - experienced juniors and seniors
2009 UNC - experienced juniors and seniors
2010 Duke - experienced juniors and seniors

I think Kentucky is really the only team challenging this--and they are doing so because they are consistently pulling the best players at each position. And they have yet to win a title.
You make a good point and I'd like to agree but I have seen nothing in this team that would suggest that next year, if everyone returned, it would be any better. If we were playing better now, I would have hope but we seem to have regressed.

Over the years all of the really great Uconn teams have been strong defensively. This team can't defend or rebound and there is just one regular season game left.

Reaction Score
You make a good point and I'd like to agree but I have seen nothing in this team that would suggest that next year, if everyone returned, it would be any better. If we were playing better now, I would have hope but we seem to have regressed.

Over the years all of the really great Uconn teams have been strong defensively. This team can't defend or rebound and there is just one regular season game left.

Do you mean can't or don't (defend/rebound). By example AO did then he didn't, then he did, then he didn't. This team shows they can play up (for a half) and can play down (for extended games).

Kemba was incredibly mature young man with great leadership skills.

Remove Kemba, despite adding talent...this is what you get.

These kids just need to grow up with a sense of urgency, a common phrase in hockey. Is that possible by next year? Yes.
I think what your saying is that it's not probable. You may be right but as a UConn fan, I hope not.

Reaction Score
Also addition by subtraction is sometimes a good thing, if you get my drift.

Reaction Score
blah blah blah. They are a marginal team when they hit the hardwood. On paper they were a top ten team, but guess what: they play games for a reason. AD and JL as lottery picks or first rounders only shows how pathetic the NBA ( no basketball at all), has become. AD can't shoot fouls, can score 6' from the hoop. He needs another year or 2. JL is consistently inconsistent. He is smoothe but if he's having trouble freeing himself up now what's he going to do in the NBA? Bazz has been on another planet all year, perhaps his ship will bring him back to storrs next year.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
so is the entire Kentucky starting lineup. How are they doing? Stop the excuses.

save for their Sr PG Miller, and when he's not on the court, UK looks like a totally different team on offense

that's a pretty big oversight on your part

but you can always hate away

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Look how discombobulated they are at the end of close games. Why? They knew they had Kemba last year, and now they don't know who will bail them out.

Same scenario, UConn down 3 with the ball and 20 seconds left, you know Kemba would have made something happen. He certainly wouldn't have squared for a 26 foot 3 pointer.

With Calhoun and Kemba, the game never gets to that point. At 51-37, PC went on a 26-5 run. One could argue that with those two at the game that run never would have gotten that deep. Calhoun is their coach and Kemba was their security blanket. Their is no go to guy on the team and it makes it harder for everyone.

Reaction Score
Maybe it's time to accept that this team isn't as talented as the top 20 or so. I want to be wrong, but Lamb is hit or miss, Drummond has a long way to go in the paint, Shabazz and Boatright are good players and all, but obviously not good enough.

Great teams don't lose to teams like Providence. Or Rutgers. I think this team is one year away. Just have to hope we're eligible for the NCAAs next year.

Reaction Score
Maybe it's time to accept that this team isn't as talented as the top 20 or so. I want to be wrong, but Lamb is hit or miss, Drummond has a long way to go in the paint, Shabazz and Boatright are good players and all, but obviously not good enough.

Great teams don't lose to teams like Providence. Or Rutgers. I think this team is one year away. Just have to hope we're eligible for the NCAAs next year.
Amen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak