Talent | The Boneyard

Talent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Maybe it's time to accept that this team isn't as talented as the top 20 or so. I want to be wrong, but Lamb is hit or miss, Drummond has a long way to go in the paint, Shabazz and Boatright are good players and all, but obviously not good enough.

Great teams don't lose to teams like Providence. Or Rutgers. I think this team is one year away. Just have to hope we're eligible for the NCAAs next year.

Reaction Score
Maybe it's time to accept that this team isn't as talented as the top 20 or so. I want to be wrong, but Lamb is hit or miss, Drummond has a long way to go in the paint, Shabazz and Boatright are good players and all, but obviously not good enough.

Great teams don't lose to teams like Providence. Or Rutgers. I think this team is one year away. Just have to hope we're eligible for the NCAAs next year.
Great teams don't.

But teams with talent often do. UConn lost to a terrible UNC team in 2002-03. That UConn team was okay--but that whole team went on to win the BET and NCAAs the next year.

They are young without a leader or coach. That leads to inconsistency, mental lapses, and all those other things we are slamming them for.

Reaction Score
I think it's a matter of the pieces not quite fitting together yet. There is definitely talent here. Lamb and Drummond are projected as lottery picks. Think about that. I know they aren't Ray Allen and Dwight Howard. They could use another year (esp. AD). But they are very talented.

The whole 'Kemba won the whole thing by himself last year' mantra is ridiculous.

You cannot win a NC alone.

For whatever reason, Kemba was their glue, their leader, their friend. He made it easy for the relationships to form.

It's almost as if they needed to learn everything all over again.

Reaction Score
Look how discombobulated they are at the end of close games. Why? They knew they had Kemba last year, and now they don't know who will bail them out.

Same scenario, UConn down 3 with the ball and 20 seconds left, you know Kemba would have made something happen. He certainly wouldn't have squared for a 26 foot 3 pointer.

Reaction Score
I think what's often overlooked about this team is how young they are - AO is still the only upperclassman on the team. This squad has plenty of talent, it just lacks experienced leadership. Last year's team had not only Kemba but a healthy JC. Now, with Blaney at the helm and young PGs, leadership is a challenge. JC is badly needed to help this team out.

Reaction Score
Lamb and Drummond are lottery picks. Drummond was the #2 recruit in the nation. Shabaaz, Roscoe, Boatright and Daniels were all top 100 recruits. Oriakhi was a McDonald's All-American. Niels Giffey played for the U20 German national team. Short of UNC or Duke, how much more talent could you ask for?

Reaction Score
The players are talented individually but the team is not talented collectively.

Or,

On paper the team is very talented but on court they are not so talented.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I guess what I meant was not that they don't have potential talent. Lamb and Drummond have the ability to be great players in the NBA. Shabazz has great court vision and the ability to hit some big time shots. Right now, they're a year away from developing that talent.

Look at the 2007-2008 huskies. That team had plenty of talent, but they were a year away. I know they lost AJ Price early in the game, but the 08-09 Huskies would've beaten down that team, even without AJ.

It was worded poorly, but I think this team is a year away from developing that talent.

Reaction Score
I guess what I meant was not that they don't have potential talent. Lamb and Drummond have the ability to be great players in the NBA. Shabazz has great court vision and the ability to hit some big time shots. Right now, they're a year away from developing that talent.

Look at the 2007-2008 huskies. That team had plenty of talent, but they were a year away. I know they lost AJ Price early in the game, but the 08-09 Huskies would've beaten down that team, even without AJ.

It was worded poorly, but I think this team is a year away from developing that talent.

The 2007-2008 huskies would beat down this team as well. They were a year away from a FF, but that team was pretty good. They won 10 in a row in the middle of the season, beating 4 ranked teams.

I completely agree with you about development and I think that's what was in fact really great about watching the progress of that bunch of players (minus the graduation/apr problems): 2006-07 was pretty bad; the core came back and improved greatly in 07-08; then the core returned and made it to the FF.

It would be wonderful to see this group return, even if AD only, while bringing in Calhoun.

Reaction Score
Maybe it's time to accept that this team isn't as talented as the top 20 or so. ... I think this team is one year away.

There's talent and then there's experience. If this team didn't have talent, one more year wouldn't matter.

Reaction Score
I know it's been said before, but I just don't see a superstar yet when I watch lamb. Think back to ray, rip, khalid, Caron, Gordon, okafor- there were multiple times when all of these players would catch fire and be unguardable. They would come down the court and we would know that whatever they threw up at the basket was going in. Even emeka, limited offense and all, was fully capable of dominating offensively during his junior year. How many times have we seen lamb hit 3-4 shots in a row and take over a game?
In know this has also been repeatedly covered before, but drummonds lack of offensive polish is also astounding. I haven't been able to watch every game this year, but I can't think of more than a handful of times that Drummond has scored on anything other than a dunk or tip in. This would be fine for a freshman big man, but the concerning part is that I haven't even seen noticeable improvement when it comes to Drummond catching the ball in good position in the post and making a decent move to put up a quality shot ( what we do see repeatedly is a weak turn around fade away with the ball released at chest level) .
These things aside, both lamb and Drummond are high quality college players that would start on any team out there. I'm certain that our issues are chemistry, not talent related. We have never historically had an amazing half court offense, but we have never looked as lost as we have this year. Our defense suffers from the same lack of chemistry - in past years even if an opposing guard would make it into the lane, he would hit a brick wall in emeka, Boone, Armstrong, adrien, thabeet, Stanley. This year, driving opponents are rewarded within open dunk/layup when our defense fails to rotate.
I think that when all is said and done, this lack of chemistry has seemed to sap the confidence of lamb, shabazz, deondre, giffey- these may not be the best shooters in the world, but given an adequate offense should be able to hit an open shot.

Reaction Score
There's talent and then there's experience. If this team didn't have talent, one more year wouldn't matter.
How much freakin' experience do you want? Thsi team lost ONE regular from a national championship team. And brought in 3 top 100 players in the country including #2. If Drummond in particular isn't up to playing at this level consistently, he really shouldn't be on the court. Pretty simple really. Yes he does some spectacular things, but he also couldn't get a rebound with Providence missing twice. Dominated inside then didn't get a touch in the final 10 minutes, I don't think.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
they're 18 & 19, a couple are 20

only AO can drink legally

Reaction Score
And the entire Kentucky line-up is McDonald's All-Americans ranked at the top of their respective positions.

Who does UConn have that was ranked at the top of their position? Drummond. That's it.

Do you think if this team had Anthony Davis and MKG that this team would be in this situation? It's not that their freshmen, it's that their NBA ready players who have to come to college because of the rules. Only Drummond on our team is in that boat. Everyone else would have had to come to college.

Reaction Score
There is no lack of talent. There is a clear lack of focus, cohesion, and effort.

They fall asleep on offense and pass the ball around with no movement and no purpose for long stretches.

They clearly are not all on the same page at times. They haven't played together long enough, and roles remain uncertain due to constant shuffling and inconsistent playing time, as well as the addition of some talented freshmen who are taking minutes away from the guys with more experience.

On defense, we go to sleep off the ball and don't bother blocking out on rebounds. Guys get caught ball watching instead of sticking with their man, when the screen comes they go under it instead of chasing to challenge the shot. Their appears to be no communication because too often there is no hedge on the screen. When shots go up, guys turn and look at the hoop, instead of putting a body on a man. Napier, in particular, gets caught in the paint ball watching or going under screens far too often and can't close on shooters because of it.

This is a group of individually talented players, that has shown they can be a good team, capable of beating almost anyone. But until they learn how to value every possession for 40 minutes, at both ends of the court, this team is one 10 minute lull from losing to just about any major or mid-major program.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Being able to perform consistently is a component of talent as is being able to focus in crunch time.

If a baseball player hits 40 home runs but those are the only 40 hits he gets on 600 at bats, is he a talented ballplayer?

Sounds like Kevin Maas to me?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
Being able to perform consistently is a component of talent as is being able to focus in crunch time.

It's one component, and in a team game, it is a relatively minor component. A laser-like focus won't help a player who can't dribble, pass, shoot, rebound, and defend. Most teams have identities, this team is still searching for one. It's not for lack of talent, but lack of leadership.

Baseball and basketball are apples and oranges. You have no choice but to focus and nobody to blame in the batter's box. Basketball is very, very different.

Reaction Score
subba and Wing,

I actually use the terms "skilled" and "talented" to define the differences. I think UCONN has some really skilled players. Drummond for example, but he isn't talented in that he doesn't know how to use those skills effectively and consistently yet. Whether that's exactly a correct use of the terms or not, I htink it captures some of what is going on witht his team.

tzznandrews,
While you are right about the Kentucky players, this UCONN team has 7 regulars plus some bench guys who WON THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP last year. And were 30 plus games into the season. Inexperience is not an excuse at this point. Come on. In the college game as it is in 2012, when players are likely to only stay for 1 or 2 years, you can't talk about inexperience as an excuse.

Reaction Score
In the college game as it is in 2012, when players are likely to only stay for 1 or 2 years, you can't talk about inexperience as an excuse.

Agreed strongly. And using the "inexperience" crutch as an excuse is tantamount to a concession that we aren't among the top programs in the country. UNC, Kentucky, Kansas, Dook have success with "inexperienced" guys all the time -- that's why they're constantly in the top 10.

Reaction Score
I'd have to agree with Wing this time. I think this team's lack of focus (not lack of talent) is the bigger issue. Furthermore I think it is a function of maturity, emotional for some and physical for others.

Reaction Score
wingU-Conn, the answer lies within your name.......we have received absolutely nothing from our wing! in fact, i don't even know who our wing is!

Reaction Score
subba and Wing,

I actually use the terms "skilled" and "talented" to define the differences. I think UCONN has some really skilled players. Drummond for example, but he isn't talented in that he doesn't know how to use those skills effectively and consistently yet. Whether that's exactly a correct use of the terms or not, I htink it captures some of what is going on witht his team.

I think you have it backwards, but I guess I see your point, the problem is you're arguing against yourself.

What else, besides experience, could a lack of knowledge on how to use your skills/talent be blamed on? You're saying we have plenty of experience, but not enough talent because guys don't have enough experience.

Reaction Score
In the college game as it is in 2012, when players are likely to only stay for 1 or 2 years, you can't talk about inexperience as an excuse.
In the last 15 years, I can think only of three teams (2009 UConn, 2006 Florida, 2003 Syracuse) that were really young. Even with UConn, their central player was a senior who looked awful for large chunks of his sophomore year before really turning the corner.

And those teams are generally considered the weakest of the championships teams in that time period (along with 1998 Kentucky).

1999 UConn - Junior and Senior laden (with KEA as a soph)
2000 MSU - Senior laden
2001 Duke - many sophomores, but led by POY Shane Battier
2002 Maryland - nearly all seniors
2003 Syracuse - exception
2004 UConn - Juniors and seniors
2005 UNC - mostly juniors
2006 Florida - all the experienced 1 seeds save Nova fell apart. Their Final Four was George Mason and UCLA. Unimpressive.
2007 Florida - experienced Juniors
2008 Kansas - experienced juniors and seniors
2009 UNC - experienced juniors and seniors
2010 Duke - experienced juniors and seniors

I think Kentucky is really the only team challenging this--and they are doing so because they are consistently pulling the best players at each position. And they have yet to win a title.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom