Stop feeling sorry for yourself,Geno | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Stop feeling sorry for yourself,Geno

Reaction Score
For WCBB, most teams are lucky to have 1 elite superstar player. The player that was so good at the high school level, they could place their team onto their shoulders and Wonder Woman them to state championship games every year. Those players bring an awesome skill-set to the table for any college program.

But the college game is a whole level up. Players can Wonder Woman in high school, but at the highest levels in WCBB they are playing against other high school Wonder Women almost every game. They can also be on teams with other star players like them as well, who may already have their own turf established in the super star arena.

So, what you do is you teach the players to work together as a team - former star players accepting team roles in team play so that the team overall can be dominant and have success. But by "roles" I'm not talking about just being a reserve that plays 2-3 minutes a game in mop up duty. I'm talking about having opportunities to lead the team from time to time, but acknowledging that you're a part of a whole with other players that can also lead the team. In scoring. In rebounding.

And it's that kind of team play that raises your team up in WCBB to having national championship level success. Because just one player Wonder-Woman-ing it only works in high school.

So you're a role player, but you can have a game here or there where you score 20+ pts, rebound 10-15 rebounds, dish out 7-10 assists. Have SUPER games. but then you allow your teammates to do the same thing the next game, or even the next 2-3 games, before you have another one. Working as a team. Sharing the wealth of production. Because whether you like it or not, you're NOT going to have those games every game, most likely.

THAT was the kind of team that Auriemma had with several of his past teams. Like the Stewart, Tuck, Jefferson, KML teams. They were all former high school wonder woman type players that melded into a super team.

But even though Auriemma seeks that kind of team work and play, that doesn't mean he wants to limit his player's productivity. If they can score 25 pts, 15 rebounds, or have triple-doubles, so be it. But that doesn't mean let them take 25+ shot attempts, or hog the ball. Certainly not for every game. So what they have to do, is they have to take the same attempts but be more efficient at making them, They have to hustle hard and fight for those extra rebounds. Play defense the entire time they are in the game, and make sound decisions. And their productivity will rise, along with their efficiency. Because they have that Wonder Woman skill-set they brought to the table, even if they don't have to carry their team on their shoulders like they did in high school. They just have to raise their benchmarks. Push the envelope.

So with a team like Stewart, Tuck, Jefferson who were having 40-0 seasons every season, winning national title after title, the success is there. Auriemma has the team running like a finely-tuned watch. So what does he have to watch out for? Complacency. A team at that level of efficiency only has one true opponent, and that's itself. So they can get fat and sassy with all of their success, and start back-sliding. They start to set themselves up for an upset loss to a strong opponent that ends their season short of their goals. Because 40-0 doesn't tell them that. But Auriemma knows it's out there, and it's his job to keep it from happening.

SO, to keep it at bay, what can he do about it? He chides his star players. He picks on them: while they are going undefeated, he drags them back down to Earth. He's like the kid brother beside you on the long road trip across state to visit your relatives, poking you in your side and aggravating the heck out of you. Only, Geno is NOT your kid brother - he's your head coach. You just can't smack Geno upside his head. You have to go, "yes Sir, OK, Sir" to all of his needling. And its [CENSORED] urinating you off.

So THAT's how Coach Auriemma takes a super-star caliber team like that - that's heavy in undefeated seasons and national title rings - that's fully experienced in how he wants the team to run and play and execute - that's totally confident in it's ability to dominate - and pushes their buttons to keep them from back-sliding. And it has seemed to work for him in the past.

But this ain't that team no more. There's no more Stewie, MoJeff, Tuck. And Connecticut hasn't had an undefeated season nor a national title in six seasons. Even had Westbrook started her entire career at CT, she couldn't tell anyone what that feels like. So, this team still has those former high school Wonder Women, still has the great roster full of skill-sets they can bring to the table. But they are struggling to develop that team play that Coach Auriemma wants from his team, due to covid and then injury.

They don't have that same kind of team-wide confidence that past CT teams have had. They have doubts, questions, frustrations. And then, Geno needles them like he always does with his superstar teams. Will the results work the same here? Should he realize possibly that what this team needs right now is some positivity and uplifting from him, to ride out this bad road that they have no choice but to ride for the next month or so? And then when they start returning to full health, and start winning a LOT again, and find their roles in team play, THEN perhaps Geno can start poking those ribs again??

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Does Geno really have less? There are many top-flight recruits on UConn this season. The thing about Geno is, he has never won a NC without with a team that did not have a superstar.
he has lost his share even when he did have a superstar(s) on the team.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
she wears contacts. I have said this many times, she is our best finisher at the rim. strong and decisive. great body control and balance and can finish with either hand.

now, if she can shoot with more consistency, she would be incredibly good. but instead she is a below average perimeter shooter and even worse so when you consider she is a shooting guard and doubly worse when you consider she has great passers on her team to get her the ball in rhythm. That doesnt even mention that she has good to great players around her as well.

for some reason, she just cant put it all together over a sustained period of time. but if she ever does, she will be unstoppable.
As Vinnie said to the old woman in court, "maybe you need a thicker pair of glasses".

Reaction Score
I’ll tell you this. Years ago I lived and died with my sports teams. When they lost I cried, couldn’t sleep and the men losing to Duke in the Elite 8 that year long ago ruined my entire weekend. I used to turn the sound off for road games because I couldn’t take the women being taunted by opposing fans. You get the picture.

But the last few years of my life changed all that. I am doing a TMI so I apologize in advance. I was mired in a deep depression, and an eating disorder. For about 4 years I had no interest in watching basketball (women or men) and I hardly did. When I did I wasn’t engaged so I stopped. I survived an attempt to end my life. And now, gradually I’m getting better. I’ve started watching games again. And I realize that above all they are just that - games. In the grand scheme of life (mine anyway) they should provide enjoyment. I simply turned the game off last night and did other things. I love watching but damn, there’s so much more to life than analyzing a game trying some damn hard to figure out either wrong or could be better.

Enjoy games for as long as you can.
Good luck to you in your recovery. Watching and analyzing games, rooting, is a pastime, it is not life!

Reaction Score
Not sure why GA is so ‘realistic’ about what this team can’t do. After watching the game, Uconn missed a lot of open shots and had some opps where we could have scored but fumbled the ball or had a shuffle of the feet, or had some miscommunication, etc.

CD statistically didn’t have a good game, but she is playing with confidence and is showing some good things. Defense is better and backside rebounding is good. Her shots will fall and she has a little quickness to her game.

AE just keeps fumbling her opps. I am very puzzled by this, but she has too much skill not to get out of her funk. GA could help by giving her multiple post ups and staying with her. He keeps pulling her out like a damn yo-yo. Just live with the mistakes until she gets herself out of it. She still plays hard and generally does the right things. It is not due to lack of effort.

DJ knows how to play and although she is a little less explosive than you want, she has some nice skills and will get more out of them as the season goes along. Not a great player but a contributor. I already see DJ getting a bit more comfortable with her role. Maybe it is not manifesting itself with great play yet, but it will certainly get better.

Some miscommunication here and there is costing us several possession….well that happens when you are playing without a point guard! AD looked really good to me.

Also, is CD and AD not going to get better as the season goes on?? I already see big improvement in CD and very encouraged by what I saw in AD. To be honest, I thought AD will be awful considering GA has her glued to the bench all year. Will AE stay in a funk all year?? Will DJ get more acclimated? Are we not going to get , NM and AG back?? I guess GA doesn’t think this will ‘realistically’ matter… Will we get PB back? Will CW continue to shoot 1-8 from 3?

I believe we will be a much better team as the season goes along as one would expect considering this was only 7th game of the year, some young and new players playing bigger roles and some big time injuries. How could it not get better??? GA’s comments were just out of bounds and ‘unrealistic’.

Now if you don’t like what I said, then I guess you believe GA and that things aren’t going to get any better. Not only do I completely disagree with GA, I think his words were foolish. Now I understand that on this board, you just aren’t allowed to disagree with GA. Those are the rules. Well, I’m breaking these silly rules and GA knows what he can do with his silly comments and anybody who agrees that ‘realistically’ we will not get any better, can do the same.

Quick game thoughts:

I actually enjoyed watching this game for 3 quarters. Keep in mind, my expectations were a lot lower as well. It wasn’t anywhere near perfect..too many TOs and miscommunication on offense and defense and we missed a lot of shots. But at least we got shots in the offense until the 4th, just missed too many of them. We had some poor rotation on defense…shouldn’t the great GA have coached our players how to rotate on defense by now???

Last 15-20 possessions: 6 TOs, 3 bricks, 2 airballs, gave up 3 offensive rebounds. This again is where the game was lost and in a tight game until the end. We called several timeouts to set up plays by the coaches but yet this still made no difference in our ability to pull out the win in a close game.

On the bright side, we hustled, battled, ran and dived for loose balls, communicated some on defense, and we did it without our best player, and possible 3 more out of our top 8-9 players sitting this one out. We fell epically apart in the 4th again (coaches have to take some criticism for this), otherwise we probably gut out a tough win on the road.

Reaction Score
Do you really believe that even with PB this team would have any real chance to win the national title?
Yes, and the wild card is Azzi. She's only had three games I think and for some of them she was rattled as many freshmen are. But in that game where she was sinking three after three after three, I thought to myself, "Gee, this is going to be easy." I guess not.

Reaction Score
Y’all need to stop acting like fanatics and start acting like fans. You sound like the lady vols fanatics!!

Reaction Score
Do you really believe that even with PB this team would have any real chance to win the national title?
Yes, I believe the way this team played the other night without her validates every award Paige won last year. On the other hand, I am wondering how much effect the NIL money is having on those who have none.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I’ll tell you this. Years ago I lived and died with my sports teams. When they lost I cried, couldn’t sleep and the men losing to Duke in the Elite 8 that year long ago ruined my entire weekend. I used to turn the sound off for road games because I couldn’t take the women being taunted by opposing fans. You get the picture.

But the last few years of my life changed all that. I am doing a TMI so I apologize in advance. I was mired in a deep depression, and an eating disorder. For about 4 years I had no interest in watching basketball (women or men) and I hardly did. When I did I wasn’t engaged so I stopped. I survived an attempt to end my life. And now, gradually I’m getting better. I’ve started watching games again. And I realize that above all they are just that - games. In the grand scheme of life (mine anyway) they should provide enjoyment. I simply turned the game off last night and did other things. I love watching but damn, there’s so much more to life than analyzing a game trying some damn hard to figure out either wrong or could be better.

Enjoy games for as long as you can.
Thanks for showing us some perspective. I hope you continue to be well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom