Stop feeling sorry for yourself,Geno | The Boneyard

Stop feeling sorry for yourself,Geno

Reaction Score
I would have preferred him saying that the loss of Paige is even greater than he thought it would be. And that it is just going to take the coaches and players that much longer to adjust to the loss. A generational player is lost, and you're going to make things ok in a couple of days, Geno? And I think many here thought the same way.It really angers me to hear him sounding like he's throwing in the towel on these kids, when he should really face he reality of the situation, and make sure his players get it, also. Figure it out, Geno and CD and Jamelle and Morgan. These young women will be counting on you to do that. And everyone be patient!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would have preferred him saying that the loss of Paige is even greater than he thought it would be. And that it is just going to take the coaches and players that much longer to adjust to the loss. A generational player is lost, and you're going to make things ok in a couple of days, Geno? And I think many here thought the same way.It really angers me to hear him sounding like he's throwing in the towel on these kids, when he should really face he reality of the situation, and make sure his players get it, also. Figure it out, Geno and CD and Jamelle and Morgan. These young women will be counting on you to do that. And everyone be patient!
I agree. The world is different now for UConn, not the loss but the loss of Paige. Geno now must circle the team and DEMAND performance. Those that can't or won't perform up to their potential should watch until they do. Don't reject Amare or CD or any kid on the bench. Some standout players once sat that bench. Don't make instant judgments, those bad today may be very good tomorrow. Coach Coach. Shake out the cobwebs and dig into history--we've seen things like this before (maybe not this bad). Coaching like the game, it is fundamentally the same for 50 years. Only the approach to players changed. DEMAND and you'll get it. After this loss, you've got the players where you want them. They can't shrug off the things they should have done.

Reaction Score
Geno doesn’t do any good by making comments like this. Unfortunately today’s players aren’t motivated in this way. I hope the assistant coaches pull him aside and reel him in. He’s a tremendous coach, act that way. Now, having said that I will move forward and support coach and the team. Go Huskies!!

Reaction Score
This is reminding me of the last year Muffet coached at Notre Dame. Looking completed defeated on the bench and press conferences including her being on the verge of tears as well.

If you look that defeated on the bench or at press conferences, how do you think the players will feel? Muffet knew that she couldn't continue coaching that way or she'd have a breakdown and players would tune her out.

Geno needs to uplift this group with some kind of positivity knowing they are already down with all these injuries and I'm sure Geno is very aware of that. He sounds like he is admitting he can't provide that right now. Hopefully that turns around, otherwise we need a new voice to lead these young women.

Reaction Score
Last evening was NOT one of Geno's finest moments as a "COACH" at UCONN. In fact, it may well have been Geno's WORST moment as a Coach, both ON and OFF the court. Not only was his managemetn of his players on the court considered to be poor (and yes, the players need to execute, BUT Geno is responsible to prepare them best to be able to properly execute on the court, when called upon, and Geno, in my opinion, gets an "F" for that (that what he gets for playing his starters too long in games, as the bench doesn't get enough PT to help them out whenever they might be called upon to help. And NO ONE CARES that he say's Paige is a Pain in the Ass and doesn't want to come off the court, no matter what the score may be. "WHOSE THE COACH? GENO or PAIGE ??" - Then there is Geno's handling of the PRESS before and after the game. He needs to step up and tell the press and media that the team is going to put tonight's performance behind them, and they all have a positive outlook that "THE TEAM" will be more than capable of overcoming any loss of players and will execute plays on the court, to the best of everyone's ability and that HE and his coaching staff will be there 200% to ensure that each and every player get everything they need to properly execute when called upon, on the court AND that this team, NO MATTER WHO IS OUT ON THE COURT, is more than capable of capturing a National Championship. This team does NOT run through PAIGE BUECKERS. It runs thru GENO AURIEMMA and the Coaches and that this is a TEAM game, comprised of a great deal of Top 25 High School Selections. Every part should be easily inter-changable, and to say that they were down 5 players (6 if you want to count Saylor Poffenbarger transferring out), is just a LAME EXECUSE. Sorry folks, but GENO AURIEMMA IS "NOT" GOD !!!!

Reaction Score
This team, in order to win a championship, would probably have to have Paige. I think that's the reality of the situation. The coaches and players should certainly have that as an end goal, but, for now, go thru the adjustments needed to be more competitive than they were last night. Major adjustments are needed, and will take time. It's not quite so easy as you make it sound. But they need everyone on board for any progress to happen. Tough row to hoe for all.

Reaction Score
let me begin by stating that i am a huge geno fan, both as a coach and a person, and, for the most part, we, the general public, cannot criticize him for much of anything. that being said, the current sad state of affairs is all his doing.
he has always had this "i'm not pulling my starters until they pull theirs" mentality, especially against rivals and agitators, and that may have been the case in the nd game. the "paige doesn't want to come out of any game" excuse is not valid, because he is the coach, not her, and he has to do what is best for her and the team. one cannot convince me that a player's mental and attention levels are the same in the final seconds of a 20 point win as they are in the middle of a close game. i sure hope that she is not in there to pad her numbers, especially in light of her recent off-court agreements. i also agree that the bench need playing time whenever they can get it.
and to portray this "woe is me" attitude at the end of any game, but especially now, is particularly disturbing. time to be a cheerleader, not a mess.
this team, with these injuries, is good enough to compete with most teams, and their goal should be to keep the ship afloat until most or all of the players recover; and hopefully, there will be enough time left in the season to become an upper level team and compete for at least a final four spot.

Reaction Score
Geno, fell into a “superstar” trap. After the Seton Hall game, in response to why Paige was on the floor during garbage time when she was injured,He said , “I don’t like this team without Paige on the floor.” So, now …No Paige….and now he tells us he’s not sure the problems can be fixed. This is no reverse psychology ruse to motivate his players. These are words from a coach who is as lost as his players.

Reaction Score
Last evening was NOT one of Geno's finest moments as a "COACH" at UCONN. In fact, it may well have been Geno's WORST moment as a Coach, both ON and OFF the court. Not only was his managemetn of his players on the court considered to be poor (and yes, the players need to execute, BUT Geno is responsible to prepare them best to be able to properly execute on the court, when called upon, and Geno, in my opinion, gets an "F" for that (that what he gets for playing his starters too long in games, as the bench doesn't get enough PT to help them out whenever they might be called upon to help. And NO ONE CARES that he say's Paige is a Pain in the Ass and doesn't want to come off the court, no matter what the score may be. "WHOSE THE COACH? GENO or PAIGE ??" - Then there is Geno's handling of the PRESS before and after the game. He needs to step up and tell the press and media that the team is going to put tonight's performance behind them, and they all have a positive outlook that "THE TEAM" will be more than capable of overcoming any loss of players and will execute plays on the court, to the best of everyone's ability and that HE and his coaching staff will be there 200% to ensure that each and every player get everything they need to properly execute when called upon, on the court AND that this team, NO MATTER WHO IS OUT ON THE COURT, is more than capable of capturing a National Championship. This team does NOT run through PAIGE BUECKERS. It runs thru GENO AURIEMMA and the Coaches and that this is a TEAM game, comprised of a great deal of Top 25 High School Selections. Every part should be easily inter-changable, and to say that they were down 5 players (6 if you want to count Saylor Poffenbarger transferring out), is just a LAME EXECUSE. Sorry folks, but GENO AURIEMMA IS "NOT" GOD !!!!
I agree and you owe nobody an apology. His comments were a disgrace. He still has some of the best talent recruited over the last 4 years and his comments after a handful of games and one without PB are an embarrassment and pathetic. He certainly doesn't inspire anybody with those comments does he? GA is showing he is a fraud as well. Maybe GA can earn his money and outcoach the opposition to victories, but he hasn't done that for numerous years.

Last edited:

sun

Reaction Score
During the post game presser, I thought that Geno handled the loss as gracefully as possible.
He said the other team was better.
He can't make the shots for players or make excuses for all of the air balls and 0 for 11 3 pointers.
There were great plays and efforts, and also many bonehead moments made by the players.
That's called growth.
The only way for the players to learn to hate losing is to lose.
That's how an empirical learning experience works, folks need to live it in order to learn it.

I suggest that fans don't allow a sports team to invade their emotional well being to such an extent that it makes them angry.
If it does then that means that the sport has invaded the person's psyche to too great of an extent.
Sports have become a business institution and people have become programed and conditioned to experience pleasure and satisfaction only when their team wins.

And then for some reason when the team loses, some get pleasure by getting angry at others to compensate.
That's crazy.

There's much more to life than whether UConn wins or loses the NC, or wins the Big East, or yesterday's game.
Fans need to put it into perspective that losing really shouldn't matter that much to the fans.
They're only spectators and have no stake in the outcome unless they are bettors.
Everyone gets paid to coach, televise, analyze and pamper the public so that they can watch commercials & buy merchandise and have an emotional attachment to a team.
But when the emotions turn to anger then we've stop being fans and devolve into being primal animals.
That's not healthy to lose perspective about what losing means.
There's a winner and a loser of every game, losing fans just need to learn to accept it.

Fans should not allow a coach to interfere with their emotions.
His job involves helping to control the players emotions but not the fans emotions.
Losing is like the dark side of the moon where there's never any light.
It's always the same, there's disappointment and maybe some despair, but there shouldn't be any anger.
That's counter-productive to fandom and the overall enjoyment of sports.
Celebrate the great effort made by the winners just like in the Olympics.
That's what the girls need to do in order to not be sad about their loss.
Maybe even be happy for GT because we all know how pleasurable that winning feels.
If the UConn girls can learn to deal with losing then the fans can learn to deal with it too, and without getting angry at anyone else to make themselves feel better.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Geno, fell into a “superstar” trap. After the Seton Hall game, in response to why Paige was on the floor during garbage time when she was injured,He said , “I don’t like this team without Paige on the floor.” So, now …No Paige….and now he tells us he’s not sure the problems can be fixed. This is no reverse psychology ruse to motivate his players. These are words from a coach who is as lost as his players.
Very sound assessment--you could be correct.

Reaction Score
I hope that Geno, in his first meeting back with his players(which may already have happened) apologizes for his comments last night. Seems like it's rather important that they feel that things can be fixed, and the coaches really impress this upon them. Otherwise, they're going to feel quite lost. His comments last night had to have shocked them, maybe even scared them.If the coach feels things can't be fixed, what's the point?

Reaction Score
I hope that Geno, in his first meeting back with his players(which may already have happened) apologizes for his comments last night. Seems like it's rather important that they feel that things can be fixed, and the coaches really impress this upon them. Otherwise, they're going to feel quite lost. His comments last night had to have shocked them, maybe even scared them.If the coach feels things can't be fixed, what's the point?
i agree with you. he owes them an apology for effectively telling them he has given up on them because he is a 'realist'.

imagine if a player said something like what GA said....you think GA would give that player a big cuddle at the next practice? I think he would buy them a one way ticket off the team and out of town.

Last edited:

sun

Reaction Score
i agree with you. he owes them an apology for effectively telling them he has given up on them because he is a 'realist'.

imagine if a player said something like what GA said....you think GA would give that player a big cuddle at the next practice? I think he would buy them a one way ticket off the team and out of town.

I think Geno should ask CW if she needs to have her eyes examined.
That's part of what being a realist is all about.

Reaction Score

Jazz - remember, in th eyes of many, Geno Auriemma is "GOD" and it has been and will always be "His Way or The Highway" as far as the UCONN Women's Basketball Program is concerned, regardless if he says something that, one may think, is way out of line, or would not be considereed excepted behavior by a Head Coach at any other College or University. Yes, Geno is a Hall of Fame, Record Setting Coach and has earned a large percentage of respect he deserves. But remember, towards the end of Pat Summit's coaching career at Tennessee, she started to lose the ability to coach "Today's Players" and that eventually turned many top level recuits away from Vol Nation and towards other programs in the country. For the sake of all of us UCONN Fans and those BONEYARDERS who live and die with this team, I hope that Geno is also not losing touch with "Today's Players". It's one thing to be able to recruit 'Top Notch' High School Players to come to UCONN (the history of the program certainly helps), but it is just as important to be able to RETAIN such players [and now with NIL, the ability to be able to profit greatly from their image because they are part of such a successful program]. Geno well may decide that "The New College Game and Player" is not worth it anymore to have to deal with.

Reaction Score
During the post game presser, I thought that Geno handled the loss as gracefully as possible.
He said the other team was better.
He can't make the shots for players or make excuses for all of the air balls and 0 for 11 3 pointers.
There were great plays and efforts, and also many bonehead moments made by the players.
That's called growth.
The only way for the players to learn to hate losing is to lose.
That's how an empirical learning experience works, folks need to live it in order to learn it.

I suggest that fans don't allow a sports team to invade their emotional well being to such an extent that it makes them angry.
If it does then that means that the sport has invaded the person's psyche to too great of an extent.
Sports have become a business institution and people have become programed and conditioned to experience pleasure and satisfaction only when their team wins.

And then for some reason when the team loses, some get pleasure by getting angry at others to compensate.
That's crazy.

There's much more to life than whether UConn wins or loses the NC, or wins the Big East, or yesterday's game.
Fans need to put it into perspective that losing really shouldn't matter that much to the fans.
They're only spectators and have no stake in the outcome unless they are bettors.
Everyone gets paid to coach, televise, analyze and pamper the public so that they can watch commercials & buy merchandise and have an emotional attachment to a team.
But when the emotions turn to anger then we've stop being fans and devolve into being primal animals.
That's not healthy to lose perspective about what losing means.
There's a winner and a loser of every game, losing fans just need to learn to accept it.

Fans should not allow a coach to interfere with their emotions.
His job involves helping to control the players emotions but not the fans emotions.
Losing is like the dark side of the moon where there's never any light.
It's always the same, there's disappointment and maybe some despair, but there shouldn't be any anger.
That's counter-productive to fandom and the overall enjoyment of sports.
Celebrate the great effort made by the winners just like in the Olympics.
That's what the girls need to do in order to not be sad about their loss.
Maybe even be happy for GT because we all know how pleasurable that winning feels.
If the UConn girls can learn to deal with losing then the fans can learn to deal with it too, and without getting angry at anyone else to make themselves feel better.
OK, I have to admit you are correct with what you post above. Your quote about "allowing a sport's team to invade one's emotional well being" rings very true with me, and probably most of the Boneyard, which is a big reason why we are so passionate.
Given all that you said, and the fact that I had a miserable time sleeping last night (invading my emotional well being), allowed me to rehash the game and look for "reasons" for the poor play and subsequent loss. All mentioned comments in the post game thread hold some validity, but here is one that "invaded my misguided psyche";
For those old enough to remember the old Tarzan movies (Johnny Weissmuller, Buster Crabb, era), I believe the concept of "Bad Ju-Ju" has invaded the team. While contemplating this further around 4:30a.m. , I surmised this Bad Ju-Ju might have been carried back to Storrs from Hartford via an unsuspecting Morgan. This is a prime example of how my emotional well being has been invaded. I know it's absurd, but maybe, just maybe...

Reaction Score
Jazz - remember, in th eyes of many, Geno Auriemma is "GOD" and it has been and will always be "His Way or The Highway" as far as the UCONN Women's Basketball Program is concerned, regardless if he says something that, one may think, is way out of line, or would not be considereed excepted behavior by a Head Coach at any other College or University. Yes, Geno is a Hall of Fame, Record Setting Coach and has earned a large percentage of respect he deserves. But remember, towards the end of Pat Summit's coaching career at Tennessee, she started to lose the ability to coach "Today's Players" and that eventually turned many top level recuits away from Vol Nation and towards other programs in the country. For the sake of all of us UCONN Fans and those BONEYARDERS who live and die with this team, I hope that Geno is also not losing touch with "Today's Players". It's one thing to be able to recruit 'Top Notch' High School Players to come to UCONN (the history of the program certainly helps), but it is just as important to be able to RETAIN such players [and now with NIL, the ability to be able to profit greatly from their image because they are part of such a successful program]. Geno well may decide that "The New College Game and Player" is not worth it anymore to have to deal with.
Thanks for the reply Mir. A couple of things...I know that a large part of this crowd here has anointed GA as the 'one who can do no wrong'. I'm cool with that and certainly understand that. But, why has he not won anything in 5 years when he was favored in all the the final 4 losses except maybe one. People here say HE has won 11 championships, not the team but HE has done so. So therefore we can also say that HE has won nothing over the last 5 years, despite being heavily favored more often than not. Of course, his great coaching should get us the championship even if we are not favored...but of course that didn't happen either....

Now, what if somebody here said what GA said in his interview? They would be mercilessly attacked and reminded how great GA is and his 11 titles that he won all by his lonesome. In saying that, it should be no surprise here, since I have said it many times that GA is a great coach. He is an even better recruiter. Anybody that can convince kids to come half way across the country to a country outback town like Storrs in a state with very cold weather...well that is an amazing feat.

I also think GA is a much better coach than Pat was. Pat was great at getting kids to play hard but was not a great x and o kind of coach...at least not nearly at GA's level. I also dont think she had nearly the charisma of GA, so she couldn't haul in the recruits like she did earlier in her career when there wasn't as much competition for players. Although in my view, she wasn't quite the total coach-recruiting package that GA is, she still was a terrific coach.

Now you have to wonder why some players are not developing as we had hoped they would. CW is still a hit and miss player and she was the number one player in her HS class. Top 5 recruit Ono is also a hit and miss and I think she is often miscast as an inside player. At least GA learned last year how good she is as a passer in the high post...too bad she can't hit that shot from there with regularity even after 3 plus years. AG is an enigma to me...I think most coaches could get a lot more out of her than GA could. I think his style can be too restrictive. Also I dont know what the heck is going on with AE.

Now maybe some of this is not GA's fault...but he at least should be accountable for something shouldn't he? He makes his own players ultra-accountable for every mistake, so why don't we hold him by HIS own standard?

I think your last sentence gives GA an easy cope-out. He makes enough money and is so 'God-like' that you think he could turn stones into gold, so why can't he actually get some of the best HS players to play better?

If GA is so great, and he certainly was many years ago, then why does he not take more fault for their current state of affairs and that of the last 5 years?

Reaction Score
I think Geno should ask CW if she needs to have her eyes examined.
That's part of what being a realist is all about.
funny you say that. I mentioned that many times last year. I have never seen a player with as sweet a stroke as CW throw up the bricks and air balls she does. I played BB for many years and it is impossible to miss so badly when you have that kind of stroke.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure if Geno is any better or worse as a coach than he was 5 years ago. We’ve still been to 13 straight Final Fours… and nobody else is close to that. What I am sure of is that there is way more parity in women’s basketball than there was 5 years ago. SC certainly is as, if not more, talented than we are. Good teams aren’t intimidated at playing us anymore. Maybe Geno does have a harder time communicating and motivating today’s players. He’s certainly said so himself. Yes, he’s an old school guy - ‘cause he’s getting old! My gosh, he coached Dawn at UVA. Is she more comfortable with today’s players, and they with her? I suspect so.

All that being said, I can’t think of a coach I’d rather have coaching UConn than Geno - god or not.

Reaction Score
I thought Geno's remarks were honest and on target. BTW I think Morgan is a goner.

Reaction Score
further to my point about GA not developing players..words from GA:

"I've usually been pretty good over the years at making players better. We get really good players coming out of high school, but they get better and better and better every year. And right now, that's not happening."

hmmmm. he can only be talking about CW and Ono at this point and more CW than Ono in my opinion.

But the words that I think were completely unnecessary and if anybody not named GA said them, would be attacked for, especially after 5 games or so in the season and first game without our all world point guard and two other contributors:

I don't think it's gonna get fixed," he said. "I really don't.

Just not fair to say and certainly does not inspire anybody. Really GA??? Why the hell do you stay in your job then??? Shame on GA for saying this about his own players.

I'll go out on a limb and say they WILL get better, things WILL get fixed and we will have a good season.... maybe we will have a sweet 16, even a final 4 run if PB gets back.

GA thinks this is motivation????.....I hope he is right...

sun

Reaction Score
funny you say that. I mentioned that many times last year. I have never seen a player with as sweet a stroke as CW throw up the bricks and air balls she does. I played BB for many years and it is impossible to miss so badly when you have that kind of stroke.
I've seen at least one personal video where CW was wearing eyeglasses.
But who knows if she wears contact lenses during games or not.

Have you noticed that CW's face looks thinner, maybe indicating that she lost some weight?
She also seemed to be moving quicker when attacking the lane.

Reaction Score
I've seen at least one personal video where CW was wearing eyeglasses.
But who knows if she wears contact lenses during games or not.

Have you noticed that CW's face looks thinner, maybe indicating that she lost some weight?
She also seemed to be moving quicker when attacking the lane.
she wears contacts. I have said this many times, she is our best finisher at the rim. strong and decisive. great body control and balance and can finish with either hand.

now, if she can shoot with more consistency, she would be incredibly good. but instead she is a below average perimeter shooter and even worse so when you consider she is a shooting guard and doubly worse when you consider she has great passers on her team to get her the ball in rhythm. That doesnt even mention that she has good to great players around her as well.

for some reason, she just cant put it all together over a sustained period of time. but if she ever does, she will be unstoppable.

Reaction Score
I thought Geno's remarks were honest and on target. BTW I think Morgan is a goner.
Shea Ralph was always very animated and vocal on the bench. Funny that a couple games ago I noticed that Valley is not. Maybe I am wrong. But that is one difference from last year.

Also, another difference is the new conditioning coach. Several posters have commented that some of the players seem slower, and there are certainly more “nagging” injuries that have apparently been ongoing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom