Stewie wins AP POY | The Boneyard

Stewie wins AP POY

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Well deserved for Stewie. My vote would have been, in order, Stewie, Alyssa, A'ja. Happy to see Pheesa on 2nd team. Probably would have swapped Young and Gray.

Congrats to Dorka for making all rookie team. Well deserved for her!

And kudos to Griner for anything she gets. Love her and wish good things for her - especially after her Russian trauma.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Alylssa Thomas disrespected again. She did more overall than Stewie and A'ja. After Brianna Jones went down she carried the team in the middle. 302 assists (WNBA record, and not a guard), led league in rebounds, had 6 triple doubles for the year. No player has 6 triple doubles for their entire career. The Sun would have been nowhere if not for her. Isn't that what the MVP is all about? The Aces and Liberty built super teams, they may have done this without them. The Sun, not so much.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Alylssa Thomas disrespected again. She did more overall than Stewie and A'ja. After Brianna Jones went down she carried the team in the middle. 302 assists (WNBA record, and not a guard), led league in rebounds, had 6 triple doubles for the year. No player has 6 triple doubles for their entire career. The Sun would have been nowhere if not for her. Isn't that what the MVP is all about? The Aces and Liberty built super teams, they may have done this without them. The Sun, not so much.
Bald Huskie- - - Hopefully Thomas will get the WNBA MVP award which will be announced Sept. 26th!

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Both Stewie and Aja are truely great WNBA players, and have put up great numbers. However, they have been the beneficiaries of a hype train that started before the season did. All we heard about was the superteams and their stars. In the midst of her record-shattering barrage of double and triple doubles, WNBA.com had no mention of her in the "News" section. The feature articles were about (no surprise) LV, NY, Stewie and Aja.

Why, WNBA??? AT's story is so compelling, her amazing recovery, her current medical issues, keeping CT in contention despite being a team of role players (and DB). Great story.

Reaction Score
To win the MVP it helps to play in a major market. Statistically I think Aja should have been the winner, Stewie is obviously the favorite on this board and deserving of recognition but Thomas had the best season. With that said I think more than one will end up winning a MVP award this season. It would be nice to see LV and NY knocked out early so the idea of super teams can go away.

Reaction Score
When it comes to team sports I don't get too excited about GOAT discussions. Different eras, different positions, different teammates and coaches. Just too many things that can't be compared very well.

Nevertheless - Stewie getting another MVP brings GOAT thoughts to mind. Her resume gets ever better and she still has a lot of career left. Hey D, don't look back, there is another Huskie in your rear view mirror!

Kudos to Breanna for sure

Reaction Score
Dorka made 1st Team All-Rookie.

Phee made 2nd team All-WNBA.

1st Team All-W consisted of the 3 MVP candidates (Stewart, Wilson, and Thomas), plus Loyd, the leading scorer, and Chelsea Gray.
Unusual to diss the league's high scorer, but Loyd has devolved into a pure gunner. She has her games shooting 12 of 19, but they are unusual. Much more typical would be 8 of 25. She shot 37 percent from the floor for the season. I suspect there are a number of other players who'd average 24 if they took as many shots as she does (and Seattle just signed her on for more of the same for years to come).

Back to the point here, I tend to agree with those who'd pick Thomas for MVP. As great as Stewie is, she's got plenty of firepower around her. Congrats for the AP award anyway, Breanna.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I would like to amend Alyssa Thomas's credentials for MVP.
She broke the WNBA season records for assists with 316, double doubles with 27, and triple doubles with 6.
Also, the first player to achieve 600 points, 300 rebounds, and 300 assists in a single season.
15.5 points, 9.9 rebounds, 7.9 assists, and 1.8 steals. I love Stewie, but the powers that be are blindsided by publicity from two players, considering nobody else. Whitewash!

Reaction Score
When it comes to team sports I don't get too excited about GOAT discussions. Different eras, different positions, different teammates and coaches. Just too many things that can't be compared very well.

Nevertheless - Stewie getting another MVP brings GOAT thoughts to mind. Her resume gets ever better and she still has a lot of career left. Hey D, don't look back, there is another Husky in your rear view mirror!

Kudos to Breanna for sure
Yeah, but D is at 10,000+ and still counting. Makes it a little more difficult to catch her. Stewie may have a chance if she's blessed with good health and plays a real, real long time.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Dorka made 1st Team All-Rookie.

Phee made 2nd team All-WNBA.

1st Team All-W consisted of the 3 MVP candidates (Stewart, Wilson, and Thomas), plus Loyd, the leading scorer, and Chelsea Gray.
What amazes me about this list is that Faris was tasked with guarding two of these players.

She kept the post Thomas below her numbers, particularly scoring. Her coverage of the point guard Gray was such that Gray gave up in the second half actually, avoided touching or coming to the ball. It was the single most devastating coverage of a player I have yet witnessed in wcbb.

We talk about players that can cover 1 - 5. Faris demonstrated that in a truly impressive way. If only her offense matched her defensive capabilities.

Reaction Score
To win the MVP it helps to play in a major market. Statistically I think Aja should have been the winner, Stewie is obviously the favorite on this board and deserving of recognition but Thomas had the best season. With that said I think more than one will end up winning a MVP award this season. It would be nice to see LV and NY knocked out early so the idea of super teams can go away.
Which is it?

Reaction Score
I would like to amend Alyssa Thomas's credentials for MVP.
She broke the WNBA season records for assists with 316, double doubles with 27, and triple doubles with 6.
Also, the first player to achieve 600 points, 300 rebounds, and 300 assists in a single season.
15.5 points, 9.9 rebounds, 7.9 assists, and 1.8 steals. I love Stewie, but the powers that be are blindsided by publicity from two players, considering nobody else. Whitewash!
I couldn't agree with this more. The way I look at it, if you were to replace one of those three with an average player (the same player for consistency sake), NY and Vegas are still going to be very good teams, relatively, but CT would not be. I think they fall a lot further without Thomas than the other two.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom