Stewie on the cover of SI.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Stewie on the cover of SI....

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I am glad I am a Uconn fan! I am sure if I was a fan of another WCBB team I would be a little bummed by all the publicity Uconn gets, but it sure is fun (and based on results, deserved.)
What Geno, CD, Uconn, and the whole state have built is truly remarkable. A shout out to CPTV specifically who proved to the whole country that WCBB telecasts could be a huge source of revenue before anyone else took it seriously as a broadcast revenue stream.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You know what's strange?...Given the high presence of African Americans in bball, take another look at the faces.

Don't know why you had to go there, chief. The folks in the background are 11% African American. The percentage in the total population is 13%.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Don't know why you had to go there, chief. The folks in the background are 11% African American. The percentage in the total population is 13%.

Again, I was looking at it as off, if one was considering the % in wcbb.

Reaction Score
Oh Great!~Another reason for Muffet to sit down hard on her tuffet!
Luckily in South Bend they have a different version of the magazine, so she most likely won't see it. At least it won't be in her face every time she's standing in line at the grocery store.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I guess I understand why they are saying that, but to me it's disingenuous. How many 6'4 kids are out there with her athleticism? Sure, it might encourage players who would normally be stuck in the post to work on their outside shots, but I think that has happened already as a result of Lobo, Parker, Lauren Jackson, etc. I just don't think she's a prototype that we are going to see very often. It's like how people said that Griner was "changing the game" because she could dunk. Well, no she wasn't. Just because she can dunk doesn't mean that girls are going to wake up one day and say, "You know what? I think I'll grow to be 6'8 just like Britney Griner." Same with Stewart. It's not really a new prototype for a player, because people without her athleticism and height will never be the type of player she is.

Reaction Score
You know what's strange?...Given the high presence of African Americans in bball, take another look at the faces.
You know what else is strange? That you merely making an observation about a racial disparity between the kids playing basketball and the fans featured on the cover earned 6 responses shooting the observation as irrelevant or stupid. I don't think that this particular picture (especially taken on it's own outside of a cultural context) really means anything; UConn is a pretty white school. Having said that, people who aren't white are under-represented in many forms of media, including tv, movies, and advertisements. Given that, the defensiveness about this (and the several year old anger at Mike DiMauro) just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Reaction Score
Anybody know if this is just a regional issue? Sometimes they tailor covers for different sections of the country and/or fan bases.
Yes, today's Courant (On The Fly) says that it IS a regional cover. The other five covers are on men's teams.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well, it is Connecticut after all where more than three-quarters of the population is Caucasian.
Well most of the people in the picture are female. So What. Most of the UConn WCBB are older So What. Why do we bring race and sexual orientation into this. Who Cares. We're all human beings. Lets try to look at everybody as a human being and forget everything else.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
You know what else is strange? That you merely making an observation about a racial disparity between the kids playing basketball and the fans featured on the cover earned 6 responses shooting the observation as irrelevant or stupid. I don't think that this particular picture (especially taken on it's own outside of a cultural context) really means anything; UConn is a pretty white school. Having said that, people who aren't white are under-represented in many forms of media, including tv, movies, and advertisements. Given that, the defensiveness about this (and the several year old anger at Mike DiMauro) just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

So let me get this straight, if someone disagrees with an essentially simplistic and yes racial comment, that reaction is proof of racism!!! Go look at the other 5 covers: same essential profile. Go find the team fan boards and post this load of horse merde up there. It is not defensiveness. Why should we, at this wonderful part of our team's year, have to put up with Cardinal Richelieu's negative mindset or yours? Horse merde is horse merde and the fact that 6 posters chose to call it that, well, if it puzzles you I guess you have never had your nose down in it. Except your post laid a pile of it.

Reaction Score
Wire no malice... But what I find strange is someone who on a constant basis posts general knowledge tests on this forum, has no clue of what the UCONN student section looks like at a game. Or the entire crowd for that fact.
Actually that goes for mbb and football also...Maybe a brake form the trivia to check out UCONN sports on occassion would help...

Reaction Score
LOL! I wonder how they feel about the cover over on the men's board, especially those who dismiss WCBB as being irrelevant and not worth their time....

Reaction Score
So let me get this straight, if someone disagrees with an essentially simplistic and yes racial comment, that reaction is proof of racism!!! Go look at the other 5 covers: same essential profile. Go find the team fan boards and post this load of horse merde up there. It is not defensiveness. Why should we, at this wonderful part of our team's year, have to put up with Cardinal Richelieu's negative mindset or yours? Horse merde is horse merde and the fact that 6 posters chose to call it that, well, if it puzzles you I guess you have never had your nose down in it. Except your post laid a pile of it.

You're not defensive? Do you usually reference horse manure in posts where you don't have an emotional investment? If that's not enough evidence that this has stuck a nerve, how about the fact that Mike DiMauro's original comments (for which he sights both players and a UConn official, unless you think he's making it up) are LITERALLY 10 YEARS OLD. You could say there's no more emotional reaction to this issue than any other, but you'd be wrong.

Hey, I get it, we're 34-0, it's a happy time, why would you want to listen to captain bringdown? But in answer to your question, you should listen to this perspective because unconscious racism does exist and, if you are white, you benefit from it. It is unpleasant to think about, but anyone who denies (for example) that race may have played a part in the decline in attendance at UConn games really should look at the links in the previous sentence.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
You're not defensive? Do you usually reference horse manure in posts where you don't have an emotional investment? If that's not enough evidence that this has stuck a nerve, how about the fact that Mike DiMauro's original comments (for which he sights both players and a UConn official, unless you think he's making it up) are LITERALLY 10 YEARS OLD. You could say there's no more emotional reaction to this issue than any other, but you'd be wrong.

Hey, I get it, we're 34-0, it's a happy time, why would you want to listen to captain bringdown? But in answer to your question, you should listen to this perspective because unconscious racism does exist and, if you are white, you benefit from it. It is unpleasant to think about, but anyone who denies (for example) that race may have played a part in the decline in attendance at UConn games really should look at the links in the previous sentence.

You see, anyone who has a different perspective has an emotional load which boils down to either racism or racial guilt to you. Pathetic. Political. And so formulaic as to be beyond trite. Now your unremitting agenda is clear. Your ultra liberal doggerel dogma should belong on another board. I am color blind. I think 99% of this board is. I think for whatever reason you are steeped in the opposite and I feel sorry for you because it twists your world view. I come here hoping to escape the simplistic political bile shoved on us by so many hoping to divide us. Unfortunately not today.

Last edited:

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Indeed Sara, this thread wins the following honorary GIF:

4633595222_30f90dc385.jpg

So, does this thread really come with services? I like services.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

We're talking about 6 Sports Illustrated covers. All six covers (UConn, Syracuse, Florida, Wichita State, Michigan State and Arizona) include student sections with identical demographics. Why not write to Sports Illustrated, ask how the students were selected and get back to us. That would be a lot more instructive than reading your sociology lectures.

Reaction Score
You see, anyone who has a different perspective has an emotional load which boils down to either racism or racial guilt to you. Pathetic. Political. And so formulaic as to be beyond trite. Now your unremitting agenda is clear. Your ultra liberal doggerel dogma should belong on another board. I am color blind. I think 99% of this board is. I think for whatever reason you are steeped in the opposite and I feel sorry for you because it twists your world view. I come here hoping to escape the simplistic political bile shoved on us by so many hoping to divide us. Unfortunately not today.
OK, so let's say you're right. I'm hopelessly misguided, dogmatic, presumably irrational. 99% of the Boneyard and, assuming you don't think there's something special that attracts egalitarian people here, 99 percent of the country is colorblind. Where then, is the error in methodology in the implicit bias studies? How do you explain the resume studies? How do you reconcile that with your 99% of people are colorblind hypothesis.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Didn't we have both Okafor AND Taurasi on the 2004 Pre-Season SI cover? That turned out pretty good...
I think that was after they both won their championship games!?

Reaction Score
We're talking about 6 Sports Illustrated covers. All six covers (UConn, Syracuse, Florida, Wichita State, Michigan State and Arizona) include student sections with identical demographics. Why not write to Sports Illustrated, ask how the students were selected and get back to us. That would be a lot more instructive than reading your sociology lectures.
What are you talking about? I said that I didn't think that this particular picture really means anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom