Stephon Castle: “Hurley wants me to play a lot at the one” | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Stephon Castle: “Hurley wants me to play a lot at the one”

Reaction Score
I think where some people get confused is ballhandler and playmakers are different now. That wasn't true in 1999 during our first championship. All 5 positions can be a playmaker, not just a guard.

We will have an abundance of playmakers next year. Castle, Newton, Jackson, Karaban are all playmakers.

Question is whether we have enough ballhandling to break a press. Our guys are high enough IQ players that im Not worried about pressure. We have a bunch of decent ballhandlers to break a press, but no one elite.

Personally I think we're fine. The size at every position is worth the potential weakness. Pass over the press and throw the ball to our 7'2 monster for a dunk. Easy money.

Reaction Score
Yes. It will be just as 20 years ago as it was all summer. The Boston Celtics also don't have a real point guard. I think Hurley tipped his hand a bit this tournament. Diarra isn't coming in when Newton goes out, Alleyne is and Jackson is the PG.
I think that is not an intentional plan by Hurley, but just the result of Alleyne and Jackson playing so well, it’s hard to take them out

Reaction Score
He's more of a "finisher".

Playmakers or finishers is how some people classify players. Sanogo is a textbook finisher (except last game!). Hawkins is also a finisher. There is a continuum between pure finisher and pure creator/playmaker. Jackson is all the way to the playmaker side (he won't even try to finish a play even if he's wide open if there's someone else also slightly open). Sanogo will only playmake if he's double teamed. Alleyne is on the finisher side of things, but closer to the middle. He can pass and playmake a bit, but more likely to catch and shoot or attack hoop in transition. He can dribble and create a shot for himself, but doesn't usually playmake for others.

Ballhandler I consider separate, just a trait, like "rebounder" or "versatile defender."
Have seen him numerous times give up the ball to AS/DC/AK for an assist.. But he is also one of our more talented guards/wings when the defense gives him an opening or the offensive set breaks down.. And getting his own shot..

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think where some people get confused is ballhandler and playmakers are different now. That wasn't true in 1999 during our first championship. All 5 positions can be a playmaker, not just a guard.

We will have an abundance of playmakers next year. Castle, Newton, Jackson, Karaban are all playmakers.

Question is whether we have enough ballhandling to break a press. Our guys are high enough IQ players that im Not worried about pressure. We have a bunch of decent ballhandlers to break a press, but no one elite.

Personally I think we're fine. The size at every position is worth the potential weakness. Pass over the press and throw the ball to our 7'2 monster for a dunk. Easy money.
Exactly. The NBA shifted to this before college, and while, aside from Jokic, most team's assist leader is labeled a PG, it's much more spread around. Most teams aren't running the offense through a single PG. There's no John Stockton out there. Giannis, Tatum, even Embiid gets over 4 assists a game.

UConn is running the closest thing to a modern NBA offense I've seen in the college game. Now, if you've got Nowell at K-State and very few other playmakers, you aren't running that. You're running a traditional offense. Most teams in college are going to be forced into something more like that. Hurley is intentionally building the roster differently.

As for our playmakers, don't forget about Donovan as one of those. I know he has a rep as a good passer, but flashed it only occasionally this year. Next year I challenge teams to stop his lobs to Johnson or Jackson, and think he can kick the ball out to shooters quite easily.

Reaction Score
As for our playmakers, don't forget about Donovan as one of those. I know he has a rep as a good passer, but flashed it only occasionally this year. Next year I challenge teams to stop his lobs to Johnson or Jackson, and think he can kick the ball out to shooters quite easily.

Could Clingan, in fact, be the true point guard this team so desperately needs?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Yes. It will be just as 20 years ago as it was all summer. The Boston Celtics also don't have a real point guard. I think Hurley tipped his hand a bit this tournament. Diarra isn't coming in when Newton goes out, Alleyne is and Jackson is the PG.
There are no pure pgs in the nba. Any PG in college who went to the NBA became shooting guards because thats the game - scoring offense is priority one. Brogdon is the closest to a PG in Boston and the NBA but even he looks for his shot first

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Could Clingan, in fact, be the true point guard this team so desperately needs?

Samson Johnson was heralded as that in early January here when awaiting his return from injury, so I don't see why not.

caw

Reaction Score
Didn't realize his father played college ball

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman