Stephon Castle: “Hurley wants me to play a lot at the one” | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Stephon Castle: “Hurley wants me to play a lot at the one”

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
If Jackson is back, definitely if Newton is back, we’ll be fine. I don’t disagree another would be useful, but I’ve seen posters say he is NOT a point. I disagree with that.
He’s a point guard the same way Cade Cunningham was a point guard despite being 6’6.

And that’s kind of who Castle reminds me the most of right now.

I’ll be the first to say he’ll be an upgrade over Newton in the same way Hawkins was an upgrade over Martin. Too much talent not to be.

Reaction Score
Castle is hilariously oversized for his game. He looks like one of those guys in NBA2k that you made as a 6'1 pg but then were just like... YOLO and topped off another half foot out there.

I think the "is he a true PG" misses the point entirely. We can run him as another handler in the offense like this year where newton/jackson/hawk all circle around the outside and he can make shots or go to the rim to drive/dish.

But where he will make a huge difference is in late clock situations. Between Jackson/Newton/Hawk right now they each have pretty big holes in their triple threat packages. Castle has no gaps - he can take the ball and make a play at all three levels.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
He’s a point guard the same way Cade Cunningham was a point guard despite being 6’6.

And that’s kind of who Castle reminds me the most of right now.

I’ll be the first to say he’ll be an upgrade over Newton in the same way Hawkins was an upgrade over Martin. Too much talent not to be.

Yeah, I think we agree. Cunningham was a point too.

Reaction Score
Yes. It will be just as 20 years ago as it was all summer. The Boston Celtics also don't have a real point guard. I think Hurley tipped his hand a bit this tournament. Diarra isn't coming in when Newton goes out, Alleyne is and Jackson is the PG.
Alleyne has come in as either the first man off the bench, or the second behind DC, the entire season. Except for the game where Alleyne and Newtown were in the dog house, Diarra has always been the 9th player in the game and we’ve always played some minutes with Jackson, Alleyne and/or Joey sort of sharing point guard duties.

Reaction Score
Whoever is on the team, we're going to see a heavy sharing of point duties, similar to this season, with Jackson, Castle, and possibly a third guard.

Reaction Score
What are the chances that Newton comes back? If so, they could play together and share the duties with Jackson, assuming he comes back too. I really hope Jackson comes back.
That happens it will be difficult to keep us out of the pre-season Top 5.

Reaction Score
Older Boneyarders gotta start embracing the term and concept of "lead guard".

Is it “cool” to make fun of old school hip hop flows? | Page 3 | Sports, Hip Hop & Piff - The Coli

Now THAT'S a point guard. Sort of what we've been missing all year.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Castle per recruiting/other pages:

247 : "Combo Guard"
ESPN : "Point Guard"
Rivals: "Point Guard"
SI : "Wing. could play the 4 in some lineups"
Prep Hoops: "Combo Guard"
On3: "Shooting Guard"
NBAdraftRoom: "Small Forward"
Zags Blog: "Shooting Guard"
HoopSeen: "Shooting Guard"
The Athletic: "Wing"

Im glad I could clear this subject up for y'all.

Reaction Score
“Yeah, I talked to coach [Dan] Hurley the other day, that’s my guy,” Castle said Monday on a Zoom call in response to my question.

“It’s been pretty cool watching them come this far. Just going to the practices, they always have the [West] Region trophy up, I knew that that was their goal coming into the season, so just seeing them finally pull that out, it was a big deal for him and for me and my family just knowing I made that decision to play under him.”

Reaction Score
What was Magic J when he was in HS/MSU?? A tall dude that could pass and dribble and always had a height advantage over the guy defending him.. In the NBA.. They called him a point guard..

Castle is a baller with handles.. Whatever he's labeled ..The ball will be in his hands a lot next year as it was this year in HS.. His Dad(AAU coach) has done an awesome job preparing him for college/NBA by putting the ball in his hands at a young age despite his height/size.

Reaction Score

Stephon Castle, Connecticut​

Castle has great pace and has made huge strides in improving his overall game this season. He's a bigger guard at 6-7 and has solid body control around the rim. He plays with confidence and has a consistent midrange game when pulling up off the pick-and-roll option. He's not as much of a high-volume shooter as Villanova's Cam Whitmore, but both guards are have similar size and tendencies when the ball is in their hands.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Castle per recruiting/other pages:

247 : "Combo Guard"
ESPN : "Point Guard"
Rivals: "Point Guard"
SI : "Wing. could play the 4 in some lineups"
Prep Hoops: "Combo Guard"
On3: "Shooting Guard"
NBAdraftRoom: "Small Forward"
Zags Blog: "Shooting Guard"
HoopSeen: "Shooting Guard"
The Athletic: "Wing"

Im glad I could clear this subject up for y'all.

I change my mind. He’s a small forward, maybe power forward. Charles Oakley is the obvious comp.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Watching Castle in the first quarter of the burger game and his body language looks like he wishes it was a real game!!

Reaction Score

5. SG Stephon Castle – UConn

Stephon Castle plays at his own pace, and oftentimes it is one that leads to production. The 6-foot-6 guard played his best on the ball this week. My confidence in him on the ball comes from his continued development with his reads. He was able to put two feet in the paint often throughout the week, and once there, he delivered the ball appropriately. The UConn signee also knocked down a few threes during five-on-five play. Castle is a solid athlete, and he will need to stay on top of his motor, but this week he proved to be among the best, showing added facets against the high-level opponents. Castle finished the game with 13 points and two steals. He is the No. 9 player in the 2023 On3 Industry Ranking.

Reaction Score
Stephon has the same hesitation dribble and stutter-step as Kemba. Like Kemba, his first thought is to manufacture his own shot. Despite the difference in height, that is the comparison that comes to mind. Like Kemba. he will work into the lead guard role, but he will never be a pass-first PG. There will be growing pains in the guard position next year, whether or not Jackson returns. The concern is that we will not have Stephon for more than one year, and so we will never get to see the 2011 Kemba version.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Stephon has the same hesitation dribble and stutter-step as Kemba. Like Kemba, his first thought is to manufacture his own shot. Despite the difference in height, that is the comparison that comes to mind. Like Kemba. he will work into the lead guard role, but he will never be a pass-first PG. There will be growing pains in the guard position next year, whether or not Jackson returns. The concern is that we will not have Stephon for more than one year, and so we will never get to see the 2011 Kemba version.
Gives of SGA Vibes, but taller

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom